i7-8565u Throttling

Go to solution Solved by mp4dotexehasstopped,
12 minutes ago, pilot35 said:

I don't see any problem here. The cpu is supposed to throttle at 95c to prevent overheating. 

I just figured it out, kinda. Apparently, the integrated graphics is being used, so the cpu is throttling so the integrated graphics can keep up. I disabled the integrated gpu, now the cpu is staying above 3Ghz.

My i7-8565u is throttling. It throttles all the way down to 800Mhz. I downloaded ThrottleStop, and it said it was thermal throttling, however when I run 3DMark, it never goes above 80c, but it still throttles. I tried undervolting the CPU to the most stable voltage, but it only helped a little.

What model laptop? When's the last time you opened it up and cleaned it out? Have you ever replaced the thermal paste?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What model laptop? When's the last time you opened it up and cleaned it out? Have you ever replaced the thermal paste?

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 15IWL. I have never opened it up and cleaned it, but it is only a year old. I have also never replaced the thermal paste.

Try setting speedstep to 1 on throttlestop.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I just took it apart. I cleaned the dust out, but I couldn't replace the thermal paste because whoever installed it, stripped the heatsink screws, so it's stuck. The laptop dropped a few degrees when idle, but throttlestop still says it is throttling.

1 hour ago, pilot35 said:

Try setting speedstep to 1 on throttlestop.

How do I do that?

3 minutes ago, mp4dotexehasstopped said:

How do I do that?

Sorry, I meant speedshift. Set speedshift to 1 on throttlestop.

speedshift.PNG

1 minute ago, pilot35 said:

Sorry, I meant speedshift. Set speedshift to 1 on throttlestop.

speedshift.PNG

Just tried it. Thermal is still in the red. Idk why though. The max temp is 95 degrees, but the chip says on the intel site that 100c is when it throttles.

4 minutes ago, mp4dotexehasstopped said:

Just tried it. Thermal is still in the red. Idk why though. The max temp is 95 degrees, but the chip says on the intel site that 100c is when it throttles.

I don't see any problem here. The cpu is supposed to throttle at 95c to prevent overheating. 

2 minutes ago, pilot35 said:

It's just weird. I have had it at 95c and had it stay well over 3Ghz, but randomly it just plummets down to 800mhz.

12 minutes ago, pilot35 said:

I just figured it out, kinda. Apparently, the integrated graphics is being used, so the cpu is throttling so the integrated graphics can keep up. I disabled the integrated gpu, now the cpu is staying above 3Ghz.