Stupid microsoft parental controls

spartaman64

My parents had me set up limits on what time my sister can use her computer so I set that up on microsoft family settings. 

image.thumb.png.56c2468e13e580a501c346f691e6a253.png

But she can just change the time on her computer and it completely bypasses this like ???? is there anyway to prevent this?

If it checks against the system time, then no there isn't anything you can do about it. You don't need Admin rights to change the time. You would need parental software that checks against a server time instead.

Microsoft's implementation actually isn't that great and can be bypassed fairly easily, just google "Microsoft Parental Controls Bypass". It's been plagued with issues since its implementation. If you look hard enough, you will even find MVP's on Microsoft's Forums telling children how to disable it.

31 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

My parents had me set up limits on what time my sister can use her computer so I set that up on microsoft family settings. 

image.thumb.png.56c2468e13e580a501c346f691e6a253.png

But she can just change the time on her computer and it completely bypasses this like ???? is there anyway to prevent this?

Just wait until she figures out how to become an admin :p. But no this is a well known issue and nothing can be done about it.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just wait until she figures out how to become an admin :p. But no this is a well known issue and nothing can be done about it.

Yes it can be fixed. Don't set the account to be admin. That is all you need to do.

49 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Unless your sister is under the age of 12 or so I would suggest to just leave it. At that sort of age it's really just a fruitless effort.

i dont really care about it but my parents get angry when she stays up later than 10

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Fair enough, but that isn't your problem, no?

but they are going to keep bothering me

36 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

If it checks against the system time, then no there isn't anything you can do about it. You don't need Admin rights to change the time. You would need parental software that checks against a server time instead.

Microsoft's implementation actually isn't that great and can be bypassed fairly easily, just google "Microsoft Parental Controls Bypass". It's been plagued with issues since its implementation. If you look hard enough, you will even find MVP's on Microsoft's Forums telling children how to disable it.

While I haven't tested all of them, many of them rely on the Child account to be Administrator. If the parent decides to make their kids account admin, then that is on their them.

9 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Perhaps you could inform them in a slightly sarcastic tone that you are not their personal tech support?

In all seriousness though it's really not your job and if I were in your situation I would make that very clear to them. If they want you to spend hours patching all the holes in it, I think that goes pretty far above and beyond.

ok to put this into perspective. when im on a different floor and their tv remote is a few feet away from them they would call me upstairs and then tell me to get the remote for them. 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

ok to put this into perspective. when im on a different floor and their tv remote is a few feet away from them they would call me upstairs and then tell me to get the remote for them. 

Ahh that one the classic

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help