What would be a good laptop for video editing

My friend does a lot of stuff with gopros and he edits it on a chromebook currently : ( I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good laptop for 4k video editing

Budget and country?

Best laptop around $1400 USD (i think that’s what it costs) is the asus zephyrus g14.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Budget and country?

Best laptop around $1400 USD (i think that’s what it costs) is the asus zephyrus g14.

His budget is flexible 800-1200$ and he lives in the U.S.

8 minutes ago, Pc_On_Fire said:

His budget is flexible 800-1200$ and he lives in the U.S.

Then this version of the g14 would be great:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-ssd-eclipse-gray/6403425.p?skuId=6403425

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

2 minutes ago, Pc_On_Fire said:

This could work, just curious though what would you recommend for something cheaper. 

I am not too familiar with laptops in that range, so I cant recommend any specific models. However, spec wise you would want to get something like a ryzen 5 4000 series, 1650 or 1660, and 8-16gbs ram.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I am not too familiar with laptops in that range, so I cant recommend any specific models. However, spec wise you would want to get something like a ryzen 5 4000 series, 1650 or 1660, and 8-16gbs ram.

ok thanks

11 hours ago, Pc_On_Fire said:

This could work, just curious though what would you recommend for something cheaper. 

The Lenovo Legion 5 and HP Omen 15 - both with Ryzen 4000. They have excellent cooling and performance. Basically, intel doesn't exist in laptops as they are much slower, run much hotter and result in worse battery life and more noise

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Basically, intel doesn't exist in laptops

I hope you can avoid the bias when recommending laptops. Intel still have their own strengths.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

27 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

I hope you can avoid the bias when recommending laptops. Intel still have their own strengths.

Not bias at all, I cannot come to a single logical reason to consider an intel CPU these days.

The performance is objectively MUCH worse when compared at the same price, core count or power target. Numerous benchmarks show this on various places.

Battery life tests in similar models have revealed that Zen 2 produces better results in nearly every laptop design.

Thermals are also lower when comparing within the same cooling and chassis.

The price of Zen 2 models is also lower.

I can understand getting a laptop that doesn't offer AMD alternatives due to some feature you need in it (like MacOS) but in general, Renoir is so much better than Comet Lake S that it's nigh impossible for me to recommend anyone spend money on Intel in a laptop. I mean, when the Ryzen 3 4300U is matching ULV i5s and the Ryzen 5 4500U outperforms every intel ULV CPU, where do we go? Or when the Ryzen 7 4800H outperforms everything save for overclocked 100W i9s tat require near triple the power and cooling just to eek put a small edge?

57 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I cannot come to a single logical reason to consider an intel CPU these days

There are. Stability (I got many complains from Ryzen 4000 users on this), Quicksync, gaming performance (doesn't matter much tbh but it's still an advantage)

Yes Ryzen offers more value and higher multi core performance, but that doesn't means that it's the absolute best option. Still need some time

57 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Thermals are also lower when comparing within the same cooling and chassis

Not true. Take Legion 5i for instance (10750H), can handle 75w at 80-90c, while Legion 5 hits 90-100C at 60-70W depending on CPU. Same heatsink, though it could be influenced by fan speed. 7nm has higher thermal density

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

There are. Stability, Quicksync, gaming performance (doesn't matter much tbh but it's still an advantage)

Not true. Take Legion 5i for instance (10750H), can handle 75w at 80-90c, while Legion 5 hits 90-100C at 60-70W depending on CPU. Same heatsink, though it could be influenced by fan speed.

That's a fan speed profile entirely. The T14 with the 4700U runs cooler and about 40% faster than the model with an Ice Lake part. The Legion 5 also runs at sub 90 in my testing so I'm not sure what's up on your testing.

As for gaming performance, it's identical actually. Mobile Intel can't clock that high so the IPC advantage of Renoir results in dead even single core performance and lower multicore performance on Comet Lake. Just look at any review and you'll see that gaming disparity is down to the GPU, not CPU.

Stability? Huh? That's a vendor BIOS variable - it has NOTHING to do with the CPU. Both intel and AMD make stable products. I've never claimed otherwise and it has never been a topic of discussion. 

As for Quick Sync, it used to be important until most software suites dropped support for it due to the desktop F series.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's a vendor BIOS variable - it has NOTHING to do with the CPU

Most of them are iGPU related. iGPU driver to be exact

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

it's identical actually

Still has advantage overall.

Don't want to go off topic but what I want to say is, don't force everyone to buy Ryzen 4000 laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, genexis_x said:

Most of them are iGPU related.

Still has advantage overall.

You mean Vega? Used to be the case on Zen+ models, it's really not an issue on Renoir. You'll clearly see I didn't recommend Zen+ because I knew the limitations. I will, however, not translate old issues to new unaffected hardware.

And nah, it really doesn't. The fact that is that in games, a Renoir part will deliver identical performance to a Comet Lake part while using about 30% less power and generating less heat. Again, notebookcheck, UltraBookReview and numerous other outlets have done the math and testing for us. When the GPU is identical, gaming performance is identical. The reason is that the i7 10750H can only hold about 4GHz in the best case scenario. It cannot ever hold its advertised 5GHz clock as that is a PL level of over 100W. It usually settled at 45-62W and 3.4-4GHz. that's precisely why Renoir matches it. Zen 2 has a 7% IPC lead over comet lake and the result is that a 3.8GHz Ryzen 4000 part matches a 4GHz Comet Lake part in single threaded performance. The result - identical gaming results. And latency on Renoir is much lower than desktop Zen 2 so that also helps immensely.

14 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

That would be pretty bad for editing 4K, 16GB of memory is required, more is desired.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

28 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That would be pretty bad for editing 4K, 16GB of memory is required, more is desired.

That's the easiest thing to solve? Just add a 50$ stick of SODIMM memory and you're fine.

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

It’s better to have 16gb but 8 is more than usable. However, if you need 16gb, like @5x5 said, you can easily add more for quite cheap. 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG