BSoD with new graphics card under normal use

Hi!

Been upgrading my home office, and everything’s worked out except for my graphics card :(

It will give me a BSoD randomly a few times a day with varying vague error messages. This is during normal use btw (not gaming)

I am very time poor, so this is difficult for me to trouble shoot. I may just have to return and try a different card. 

please let me know if there’s anything I can try to fix it!

thanks!

some notes:

PC Parts List:

BSoD Errors:

UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Edited by ZachIsAGardner

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

DDU all drivers and reinstall a clean version.

Thanks for the reply!

I’m afraid I’m a little illiterate when it comes to this stuff, could you please elaborate? It’s amazing how far I’ve gotten with no problems until now. 🤪

I know there’s google, but any tailored plain English explanation would be very much appreciated!

4 minutes ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

Thanks for the reply!

I’m afraid I’m a little illiterate when it comes to this stuff, could you please elaborate? It’s amazing how far I’ve gotten with no problems until now. 🤪

I know there’s google, but any tailored plain English explanation would be very much appreciated!

Display Driver Uninstaller is an application that removes a video driver properly without leaving behind broken files. Then, you download the driver for your card from AMD's site and do a fresh install.

This is repeated every time you change GPUs as otherwise you have BSODs :)

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Display Driver Uninstaller is an application that removes a video driver properly without leaving behind broken files. Then, you download the driver for your card from AMD's site and do a fresh install.

That sounds right, I’ll give it a shot when I have a moment.

thanks!

On 7/25/2020 at 10:51 AM, 5x5 said:

On 7/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, ZachIsAGardner said:

That sounds right, I’ll give it a shot when I have a moment.

thanks!

After following the instructions I got here I was actually able to make it through a work day without any problems! It was actually on my way to this site that my computer BSoD'd again...

Again I got an error of "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION"

I'm also now getting "Radeon Settings and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s)." when I try to Open Radeon Settings. I was able to open the settings the day before after I did all the DDU stuff. Perhaps this is related?

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks!

For the weird radeon settings bugs I followed this tutorial here: 

Somehow the saved version number of the driver settings in regedit was misaligned with the actual installed version, so I manually updated that and was able to open the settings.

I updated the driver settings too, I initially just used the CD that came with my graphics card to install them because I thought those would be the most stable (nope).

Perhaps it will finally work without randomly crashing?!? 😮

Will keep this updated in case others happen upon this with similar issues.

9 hours ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

After following the instructions I got here I was actually able to make it through a work day without any problems! It was actually on my way to this site that my computer BSoD'd again...

Again I got an error of "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION"

I'm also now getting "Radeon Settings and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s)." when I try to Open Radeon Settings. I was able to open the settings the day before after I did all the DDU stuff. Perhaps this is related?

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Check your drives smart chart and run memtest86. Starting to look like a memory issue

12 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Check your drives smart chart and run memtest86. Starting to look like a memory issue

Yeah I just got a new BSoD today: "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Will try your instructions when I get the chance.

My PC ran without any problems for over a year when I initially built it, then I installed this graphics card, and now I'm getting these BSoD's out of the blue. Why would a new graphics card cause memory issues I wonder?

1 hour ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

Yeah I just got a new BSoD today: "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Will try your instructions when I get the chance.

My PC ran without any problems for over a year when I initially built it, then I installed this graphics card, and now I'm getting these BSoD's out of the blue. Why would a new graphics card cause memory issues I wonder?

It wouldn't cause them - chances are this is a coincidence.

And people wonder why I dislike AMD so much. 

For the memory BSOD, I would first make sure your ram in on the AMD compatible list. 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Corsair only has 2 part numbers on the list: CMK16GX4M2Z3600C14 and CMW16GX4M2Z4600C18

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

1 hour ago, bondoao1 said:

And people wonder why I dislike AMD so much. 

For the memory BSOD, I would first make sure your ram in on the AMD compatible list. 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Corsair only has 2 part numbers on the list: CMK16GX4M2Z3600C14 and CMW16GX4M2Z4600C18

Oh yeah I really flipped a coin on my processor brand. I really just wanted something down the middle, I didn't know I'd be risking weird stability issues.

It doesn't look like my exact memory sticks are on the list anywhere. I did all of my shopping through pc part picker and it said everything I picked out was compatible. Is pc part picker not always accurate? My part list: 

How reliable is the list you linked me? Is the fact that my memory sticks aren't on the list a terrible issue?

Also I was still using AMD before when I was using the built in graphics on my CPU. Only until I installed this graphics card did I start running into problems. 

I don't know if AMD has fixed ram compatibility with drivers as of late, but from what I have heard and read elsewhere, the Ryzen cpus are very picky with the ram. 
It could be that when you installed the drivers for the new gpu, it removed a driver that had your system working without issue. 

I am not up to date on all the AMD and driver stuff as I stopped using AMD products over 7 years ago due to their drivers being crap to the point of creating expensive paperweights.  I'm sorry if i can not help much more than that.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

18 hours ago, 5x5 said:

I tried running Windows Memory Diagnostics and it didn't return anything interesting.

I also tried memtest86 and it also returned without any errors.

I don't know what "drives smart chart" is, googling didn't bring anything up either.

So it doesn't look like memory is an issue here? At least nothing uncovered by these tests.

1 hour ago, bondoao1 said:

but from what I have heard and read elsewhere, the Ryzen cpus are very picky with the ram.

That was 99% the first-gen of Ryzen. 2nd gen (including the 2200G) are usually fine with any RAM, so long as it isn't outright crap. 3rd gen works great with almost anything.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

3 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

I don't know if AMD has fixed ram compatibility with drivers as of late, but from what I have heard and read elsewhere, the Ryzen cpus are very picky with the ram. 
It could be that when you installed the drivers for the new gpu, it removed a driver that had your system working without issue. 

I am not up to date on all the AMD and driver stuff as I stopped using AMD products over 7 years ago due to their drivers being crap to the point of creating expensive paperweights.  I'm sorry if i can not help much more than that.

RAM compatibility was an issue for three or four months initially. It's long been resolved with BIOS updated. And yeah, not really helping. 10 year old products don't relate to today at all.

3 hours ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

I tried running Windows Memory Diagnostics and it didn't return anything interesting.

I also tried memtest86 and it also returned without any errors.

I don't know what "drives smart chart" is, googling didn't bring anything up either.

So it doesn't look like memory is an issue here? At least nothing uncovered by these tests.

The SMART chart. Get HD Tune or Aida64 as they can read it. It shows the health of the SasD or HDD.

Also, how many passes did you run on memtest? Did you try reverting RAM to default speeds? You can also check the CPU for damaged pins and make sure the board isn't fucked too

7 hours ago, 5x5 said:

RAM compatibility was an issue for three or four months initially. It's long been resolved with BIOS updated. And yeah, not really helping. 10 year old products don't relate to today at all.

The SMART chart. Get HD Tune or Aida64 as they can read it. It shows the health of the SasD or HDD.

Also, how many passes did you run on memtest? Did you try reverting RAM to default speeds? You can also check the CPU for damaged pins and make sure the board isn't fucked too

Okay I'll try that when I get the chance. 

I think it did 4 passes. It took a while, the time being around 3 and a half hours. 

memtest86 results screen:

https://imgur.com/SCSZDNR

The walkthroughs I read/ followed didn't mention anything about RAM speeds. I've never messed with those before, so I'm guessing they're already at their defaults.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to verify damaged pins, messing with that part of my PC makes me nervous too.

I am fairly confident it has to do with my graphics card, because I had to take it out one week because if kept crashing my PC during work, and after that I was fine. I didn't try troubleshooting it again until the weekend, which brought more BSoD's as soon as I put it back in my build.

I do appreciate learning all these different ways to test my PC parts. It at least gives me peace of mind those things are doing well.

16 minutes ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

Okay I'll try that when I get the chance. 

I think it did 4 passes. It took a while, the time being around 3 and a half hours. 

memtest86 results screen:

https://imgur.com/SCSZDNR

The walkthroughs I read/ followed didn't mention anything about RAM speeds. I've never messed with those before, so I'm guessing they're already at their defaults.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to verify damaged pins, messing with that part of my PC makes me nervous too.

I am fairly confident it has to do with my graphics card, because I had to take it out one week because if kept crashing my PC during work, and after that I was fine. I didn't try troubleshooting it again until the weekend, which brought more BSoD's as soon as I put it back in my build.

I do appreciate learning all these different ways to test my PC parts. It at least gives me peace of mind those things are doing well.

Check the PCIe slot for damage. You may have to RMA both card and board.

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Check the PCIe slot for damage. You may have to RMA both card and board.

Okay gotcha,

What should I look for in the PCIe slot for damage? 

I'm not sure what "RMA both card and board" means, could you elaborate?

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, ZachIsAGardner said:

Okay gotcha,

What should I look for in the PCIe slot for damage? 

I'm not sure what "RMA both card and board" means, could you elaborate?

Thank you!

Return under warranty. Something is causing the memory to just go haywire.

Yeah I'm afraid I'm gonna have to concede and refund my card. I'm gonna hold onto my motherboard because I'm not convinced it's an issue. Also because I need a working machine for work.

I'll do more research before I pick my next card 🤪

Thanks for the help! I still learned a lot about troubleshooting and all that.