Google's 'Projected Mode' in-car system possibly leaked by Mercedes-Benz

PillowSmoke

mercedes-interior-lead.jpg

Job adverts aren't most reliable way to hear about new technology, but interesting ones do crop up from time to time, and that's why our eyes are drawn to one recently posted by Daimler, the parent company of Mercedes-Benz. The ad requests the services of a software engineer who can help the German car maker implement Google's forthcoming in-car system, which is apparently called "Google Projected Mode" and which is described as a way to "seamlessly integrate" Android smartphones into a dashboard's head unit. This head unit would presumably house a bigger display that mirrors a simplified version of the Android UI -- unless the use of the word "projected" implies something more futuristic.

The ad makes no mention of how the connection is made between the phone and the dash, for example whether it's cabled, wireless or a mixture of the two. However, it does refer to media playback, messaging, calls and navigation all being handled "safely" through the vehicle's control system, which suggests this will be a fully featured alternative to Apple's "iOS in the Car." Perhaps the most revealing thing is a line at the end of job description that refers to Google Projected Mode coming to "all Mercedes-Benz vehicles in all markets worldwide." That sounds like a pretty firm commitment to the platform, even if Daimler can't claim to be a founding member of Google's new Open Automotive Alliance.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/02/google-projected-mode-mercedes-benz-leak/

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

This makes no sense because it has recently been reported that "iOS in the car" will arrive to Mercedes, Volvo and Ferrari next week...

Looks like Google and Apple are now competing in the car sector

windows 8 in a car? maybe

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Am I the only that thinks this car systems are useless one of my aunts has a 2012 explorer whit sync and I find it kinda bloated for the needs of the user GPS, phone pairing for calls and text and car management is the only thing usefull from the drivers pov any additional features seems more beneficial for the passengers IMO

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Android UI in a car, cool but, why is the car ALL leather interior? Also, the gear shifter bothers me.

Am I the only that thinks this car systems are useless one of my aunts has a 2012 explorer whit sync and I find it kinda bloated for the needs of the user GPS, phone pairing for calls and text and car management is the only thing usefull from the drivers pov any additional features seems more beneficial for the passengers IMO

If both Google and Apple work on their respective systems, you can be assured there won't be much bloatware left because there's now going to be a standard that everyone can work within, not to mention Google and Apple are going to compete to have the best in car software which is good for everyone really.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

windows 8 in a car? maybe

huh, you'd be restarting the car all day. You'd never get anywhere man, plus for the first 2 hours of your "recovery service" they would be telling you to turn the car off and on again... cant see that catching on... and yet it probably will :/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly