Video editing/audio/gaming build

Styxx

Budget (including currency): Around £1700, a little flexibility if there's good reason

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere pro, Cubase 10, Soundvision/ArrayCalc/NoiseCalc (audio planning programs, similar to CAD stuff. NoiseCalc can be somewhat processor-intensive). Gaming wise, I've been out of the loop for a while so I've got a few older games to work through, but I expect I'll be wanting to play things like Far Cry 5/6, Mortal Kombat 11, Cyberpunk 2077 in 6 months. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  (£409.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£219.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£173.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£100.38 @ Box Limited) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  (£419.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£91.97 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£99.32 @ More Computers) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (£15.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£96.97 @ Currys PC World Business) 
Case Accessory: NZXT Aperture M Card Reader 
Total: £1627.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-23 01:36 BST+0100

I'd really appreciate any input anyone is willing to give on this build. This is replacing my old 1st gen i7 which has done well, but is now 11 years old. Certainly got my money's worth out of that. It's my first build, so although I've done a fair bit of reading (including the tier lists here, which were super helpful) I'm well aware that I may have missed something.

I already have a keyboard and mouse, as well as an audio interface and speakers, so that's not been factored in. Looking to buy a new monitor, I'm considering an Iiyama Red Eagle at the moment but in general I'm looking for something 1440p, but likely just the one monitor. Also worth mentioning I have a 1TB Samsung SSD that's going to go into this as well, I didn't include it in the PC Part Picker list as I'm using that for costing and I've already bought this SSD.

As the title says, this is for video editing, audio recording and gaming. Video editing in Premiere Pro, nothing super heavy (for a YouTube channel) but render times on my laptop are killing me right now. CPU choice was driven by this. Audio recording is occasional. Also as mentioned above I'm just getting back into gaming. Don't care about RGB, so I've largely tried to avoid it. It looks great on a lot of builds, but it's just not something I want to get into at the moment - I know that if I do I'll spend too much time messing around with it when I should be working. I have no current plans to overclock, but that may change in future. I don't expect this machine to be working at 100% 24/7, but I'll be pushing it from time to time. I chose an X570 motherboard for a bit of future-proofing, and the GPU seems to be a good balance of performance and cost. RAM as recommended on the motherboard's product page.

Because of the recording usage I'm trying to make this a very quiet build. Little background noises from things like fans are a real killer when you're working with audio. Not to mention a loud tower is just annoying. That's driven me towards a quiet case and quiet PSU. 

Things I'm concerned about specifically: Fans - the case comes with 2, is this likely to be enough? CPU cooling - the Ryzen 9 comes with an air cooler, I read that it's decent but am I likely to want something better? Are the components I've picked likely to play nice together, or am I setting myself up for problems?

Excuse the long post, I'm trying to give as much detail as I can. Thanks to anybody who's willing to take the time to share their knowledge and help me with this. Looking to buy ASAP, if I were experienced I'd have placed the orders by now but I'd rather get some knowledgeable input first.

Added a Noctua cooler, upgraded ram speed to 3600, doubled the storage, 2070 super instead of 2060 super, pretty much same power supply just not modular and a better case, with two extra fans for the case. Obviously case is up to you, just what I would personally go with, not sure about noise from case and fans, so thats your choice.

For rendering, I'd definitely recommend an aftermarket cooler for the 3900X, although I thought that the Ryzen 9 line didn't come with any? Regardless, if you want quiet, try Noctua for cooling, as they are often cited as the best in the industry. Like you, they don't care much for RGB, and they put performance first. However, they purposefully make their main line fans brown and beige because no one else does, so that when you see them, you immediately know their Noctua.

Speaking of which, I think you'll also definitely need at least one more case fan or two, for now at least--you can always add more down the line. However, while I can't give you any recommendations (it's not my area), I think you should go with a different case with better airflow.

49 minutes ago, Mateimm said:
Added a Noctua cooler, upgraded ram speed to 3600, doubled the storage, 2070 super instead of 2060 super, pretty much same power supply just not modular and a better case, with two extra fans for the case. Obviously case is up to you, just what I would personally go with, not sure about noise from case and fans, so thats your choice.

IMO, this build is looking good. If you want, you could OC the RAM a bit to CL16, but the difference probably not too much. Also, 650W is the minimum wattage needed for RTX2070Super to be turned on :v

https://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GEFORCE_RTX_2070_SUPER_User_Guide.pdf

Thanks very much guys!

@Mateimm I assume your choice of case is to do with airflow? As a matter of interest, why did you suggest the change of PSU? 

The P300 does not have an external drive bay.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

12 hours ago, Styxx said:

Thanks very much guys!

@Mateimm I assume your choice of case is to do with airflow? As a matter of interest, why did you suggest the change of PSU? 

I changed PSU to save money, but you should definitely upgrade to 650 watt 80+gold. Case is mostly up to you but from what I know this case is pretty sweet.

2 hours ago, Mateimm said:

I changed PSU to save money, but you should definitely upgrade to 650 watt 80+gold. Case is mostly up to you but from what I know this case is pretty sweet.

That makes sense for the PSU, I wasn't sure if I'd missed something else with that. Case looks good and I do appreciate the recommendation, but I'm going to have a look for something with a 5.25" bay for a DVD drive that still has good airflow. It's something I still use semi-regularly.

5 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What ? It would power up fine off a 450W. He will be fine with a 550W.

Well, that is what the company itself said. From my personal perspective, it is better to be safe when it comes to PSU. Since PSU is like the heart of the system, and if it fails, it will damage the other parts. Tbh, it is interesting that 450W already enough for to run 2070Super, thanks for the info tho.

4 hours ago, Ardianto Cahyo said:

Well, that is what the company itself said. From my personal perspective, it is better to be safe when it comes to PSU. Since PSU is like the heart of the system, and if it fails, it will damage the other parts. Tbh, it is interesting that 450W already enough for to run 2070Super, thanks for the info tho.

Yeah, if it's in the manual then it's hard to disagree. Thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, Styxx said:

Yeah, if it's in the manual then it's hard to disagree. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, all good bro!

do you need this build urgently? would suggest waiting for zen 3 and nvidia ampere if you are looking to get something this high end

if you do need it urgently here is something i'd recommend

you can opt for an external DVD drive if you absolutely need it, also windows keys can be bought cheap off 3rd party sites.

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

16 hours ago, Ardianto Cahyo said:

They overestimate because they don't know what the rest of the system is. A 650W will cover the majority of single gpu systems, but you could still run the op's spec just fine with 550W or even less as long as you are not overclocking anything.

8 hours ago, Oswin said:

do you need this build urgently? would suggest waiting for zen 3 and nvidia ampere if you are looking to get something this high end

if you do need it urgently here is something i'd recommend

you can opt for an external DVD drive if you absolutely need it, also windows keys can be bought cheap off 3rd party sites.

Unfortunately I need it sooner than the published release dates for Zen 3 and Ampere, and to be honest I'd worry that if I wait, they'll just be mega expensive and I'll end up going with this stuff anyway. I need a decent set up for some work I'm doing, so can't really afford to wait. 

Funny enough, after posting here and one other forum, and doing a bit of research, I've already changed the RAM and case fans to the ones you've chosen. Sill debating the 2060 Super vs 2070 Super, but I'm leaning towards the 2070. 

The Fractal case is my B option, if I can find something with a drive bay that looks like it actually has decent airflow and doesn't look like it was designed to suit a child that has been watching Transformers too much, then that's already my main choice for a 0 drive bay case.

Thanks for you're input, it's definitely reassured me with some of my choices! And thanks for taking the time to post :)

Have you considered the Fractal Design Define R7?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:38 AM, brob said:

Have you considered the Fractal Design Define R7?

Yeah, I really like it but actually in the last couple of days I've settled on the R6. Did a bit of research and it seems to be better for both noise and airflow, and it's also a little smaller - the R7 is definitely at the top end of "mid-tower"! Thanks for the suggestion :)

On 7/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, lee32uk said:

They overestimate because they don't know what the rest of the system is. A 650W will cover the majority of single gpu systems, but you could still run the op's spec just fine with 550W or even less as long as you are not overclocking anything.

Alright now it make sense, yea thx for the info and explanation tho.....