PSU Enough?

Thestuf

Hello all, I was wondering if i have to upgrade my PSU. I bought this Corsair 850 HX v2 thinking it was enough for my build.

Now I OC my pc pushing it since it is capable of it and also i spend alot extra for it to and it does a good job of it to.

But heard someone saying that I may run short on my PSU when overclocking all the components, ?

Should i really upgrade or is it enough for my current build any tip is appreciated.

Stock specs:

I9 10900K

Asus Maximus VIII Formula

Patriot Memory Viper 16GB 4400 kit

2080 TI Aorus Xtreme Waterforce @ Noctua NF-A12x25 x2

Corsair 850 HX

CableMod PRO ModMesh Cable Extension Kit

Thermaltake view 51 12 fans in total = custom cooling Thermaltake Pacific C360 kit & Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow /

Samsung 970 pro Nvme 512 GB

1 Tb SSD Kingston 

My question is: why didn't you go with amd?

4 minutes ago, Thestuf said:

But heard someone saying that I may run short on my PSU when overclocking all the components, ?

your PSU is more than sufficient. 

you could run that system on a good 650w. 

You mean the HX 2017, with the grey label? Yeah, it's more than enough.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 hours ago, Thestuf said:

Corsair 850 HX

more than enough. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

For sure? hes logic was that the 2080 ti could pull 350 400 watt and cpu 250 300 with good OC that would mean I have 150 left for the rest or is this stupid way of thinking?

Just now, Thestuf said:

For sure? hes logic was that the 2080 ti could pull 350 400 watt and cpu 250 300 with good OC that would mean I have 150 left for the rest or is this stupid way of thinking?

You'd need to draw more than 1000W:s to trip opp on that psu.

aah cool then I won't bother upgrading thanks!!

Most folks vastly overestimate how much power their PC actually will draw.
Currently Im running a 3700x, with a GTX 1060 (6GB) at stock speeds. Both my 24 monitors and this PC are hooked up to the same Battery UPS, and firing up Fallout 4 - Which isn't the most intensive game I know, but its the only game I have installed atm (I'm still setting this PC up) I haven't seen the load on my UPS say anything higher then 160W. - and again, that 2 monitors + a PC.

This isn't exactly "Full load" because Fallout 4 isn't super intensive, but it was a lot lower then I expected.

4 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Most folks vastly overestimate how much power their PC actually will draw.
Currently Im running a 3700x, with a GTX 1060 (6GB) at stock speeds. Both my 24 monitors and this PC are hooked up to the same Battery UPS, and firing up Fallout 4 - Which isn't the most intensive game I know, but its the only game I have installed atm (I'm still setting this PC up) I haven't seen the load on my UPS say anything higher then 160W. - and again, that 2 monitors + a PC.

This isn't exactly "Full load" because Fallout 4 isn't super intensive, but it was a lot lower then I expected.

Yeah its also because if I do PSU calculator it shows I need around 950 1000 wat power supply, this also confuses people I guess

1 minute ago, Thestuf said:

Yeah its also because if I do PSU calculator it shows I need around 950 1000 wat power supply, this also confuses people I guess

PSU calculators are essentially sales machines. 

they use the wrong numbers to calculate the powerdraw which leads to wild overestimation. and those that are closer to reality are closer for the wrong reasong (like using TDP on some parts). 

even with the powerlimits cranked on a 2080ti + an overclocked 10900k, you would still be fine on a good 650w powersupply. 

but thats everything under full load, something you do no encounter during normal use. especially not gaming. 

20 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Both my 24 monitors and this PC

both your 24 monitors and PC.. wow, I'd like to have 24 monitors, too 😆

sorry for off

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, GoldenLag said:

PSU calculators are essentially sales machines. 

they use the wrong numbers to calculate the powerdraw which leads to wild overestimation. and those that are closer to reality are closer for the wrong reasong (like using TDP on some parts). 

even with the powerlimits cranked on a 2080ti + an overclocked 10900k, you would still be fine on a good 650w powersupply. 

but thats everything under full load, something you do no encounter during normal use. especially not gaming. 

That would be more than 650W total power.

2080Ti = 375W

10900K = 300W +

Rest of the machine varies... Say 100W give or take...

775W + .... Is more than 650W....

That said he is fine with his current HX 850.

So at worst case he has around 75W or so of headroom... A little more than that before the PSU would shut down....

Plenty of room, plenty of room....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.