Corsair k95 Platinum switch replacement

I was wondering if i could replace my cherry mx speed switches on my k95 since i like cherry mx black's better but i dont want a new keyboard.

I still want rgb so can i use the rgb from the keyboard now or do i have to find switches with rgb.

I know i Will loose my warranty but my warranty has already expired.

Reason i want to replace the switches: i like cherry mx black's better and some og the switches are broken 

Just now, Lucassj said:

I was wondering if i could replace my cherry mx speed switches on my k95 since i like cherry mx black's better but i dont want a new keyboard.

Yes, you just gotta desolder the old switches and solder in the new ones.

Just now, Lucassj said:

I still want rgb so can i use the rgb from the keyboard now or do i have to find switches with rgb.

Just gotta make sure the bottoms of the housing are clear.

image.png.5410a1bf460e3b2e9f7dca7dc2b6532b.png

2 minutes ago, Lucassj said:

I know i Will loose my warranty but my warranty has already expired.

Yea this would quite obviously void the warranty and be a sort of "do at your own risk" type of deal.

By the way, keep in mind some Cherry MX Black series are regarded  better than other series. You could also consider Gateron Ink Blacks, which are very well regarded switches (and a little heavier than most switches too).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, minibois said:

Yes, you just gotta desolder the old switches and solder in the new ones.

Just gotta make sure the bottoms of the housing are clear.

image.png.5410a1bf460e3b2e9f7dca7dc2b6532b.png

Yea this would quite obviously void the warranty and be a sort of "do at your own risk" type of deal.

By the way, keep in mind some Cherry MX Black series are regarded  better than other series. You could also consider Gateron Ink Blacks, which are very well regarded switches (and a little heavier than most switches too).

Hi i found some switches but noe i dont know if i need pcb mount or plate mount

Screenshot_20200722-000336.jpg

Screenshot_20200722-000331.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lucassj said:

Hi i found some switches but noe i dont know if i need pcb mount or plate mount

Plate.

image.png.e7c0c58e775a49f9e55834dc84ab0b44.png

You could get PCB mounted switches, but that just means you would need to snip off those little legs (legs which are present on PCB mount, but not on plate mounting).

The K95's PCB ('motherboard') does not have holes which these legs on the sides could fit through

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Plate.

image.png.e7c0c58e775a49f9e55834dc84ab0b44.png

You could get PCB mounted switches, but that just means you would need to snip off those little legs (legs which are present on PCB mount, but not on plate mounting).

The K95's PCB ('motherboard') does not have holes which these legs on the sides could fit through

Ok thank you for the fast reply