Are PWM fans necessary?

Jack0f5pades

The situation is a bit complicated, but long story short, the set of fans I've been trying to buy for weeks just went out of stock on Amazon and I don't know when they'll be back in stock. It's a set of 6 Uphere RGB PWM fans that come with an addressable RGB control hub.

The most similar set of fans that's still in stock comes with the same addressable RGB features, but they aren't PWM controlled. That may sound like a deal breaker for some of you, but for me things are different. You see, I don't care how loud the system is as long as the volume is consistent. I hate it when my computer randomly suddenly starts spinning the fans super fast, because when the noise is consistent I can forget about it. When the noise keeps changing, I'm constantly reminded that the noise exists. 

So, all the fans in my system are currently running at 80% power, which is where they maxed out before on their old pwm behavior settings. With this setup, I barely notice the fans because they're constantly the same volume. 

So, if all my fans run at a constant speed anyway, do I really need a set of pwm controlled fans? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

The situation is a bit complicated, but long story short, the set of fans I've been trying to buy for weeks just went out of stock on Amazon and I don't know when they'll be back in stock. It's a set of 6 Uphere RGB PWM fans that come with an addressable RGB control hub.

The most similar set of fans that's still in stock comes with the same addressable RGB features, but they aren't PWM controlled. That may sound like a deal breaker for some of you, but for me things are different. You see, I don't care how loud the system is as long as the volume is consistent. I hate it when my computer randomly suddenly starts spinning the fans super fast, because when the noise is consistent I can forget about it. When the noise keeps changing, I'm constantly reminded that the noise exists. 

So, all the fans in my system are currently running at 80% power, which is where they maxed out before on their old pwm behavior settings. With this setup, I barely notice the fans because they're constantly the same volume. 

So, if all my fans run at a constant speed anyway, do I really need a set of pwm controlled fans? Thanks.

If your fans run at a constant speed anyway there is 0 point in getting a pwm fan.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

You don't need them. Most motherboards can adjust the speed of non-PWM fans anyways (even dynamically), but I do find PWM fans are capable of lower speeds.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

PWM is for people who are freaks when it comes to silence. If you don’t care about noise, pwm doesn’t really have anything to offer you. I do like how they handle low rpm.. but I only have one fan in my system that is controlled by pwm. That would be my TY-143. She is a beast.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

The bigger thing I would look in your situation is how much value I get from the purchase. Problem with cheaper fan packs is that they use propitiatory connectors. Meaning that if one of the big three happens, you are screwed. The control unit breaks. You change parts and need to add or combine fans. One or more of the fans break outside of warranty.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Jack0f5pades said:

No. If you're the set it and forget it type, there's no benefit to PWM for you imo.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.