Mail for Mac doesn't take Microsoft app password

i recently enabled 2FA on my microsoft account, and for those familiar with it you need an app password for some things. Mail for Mac is one of those. 

now, it's being super strange. if i put in the app password, it takes it, syncs my mail and after like 10 seconds it asks for a password again. i then need to generate a new app password, put that in, it takes it, and then asks again. 

is this a known glitch or?

She/Her

18 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i recently enabled 2FA on my microsoft account, and for those familiar with it you need an app password for some things. Mail for Mac is one of those. 

now, it's being super strange. if i put in the app password, it takes it, syncs my mail and after like 10 seconds it asks for a password again. i then need to generate a new app password, put that in, it takes it, and then asks again. 

is this a known glitch or?

What version of MacOS are you on, I believe you have to be on 10.14 or higher to use MFA (Microsofts version of 2FA) I see issues like this all the time as I work IT at my school and they require it

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

11 minutes ago, thedangerine said:

What version of MacOS are you on, I believe you have to be on 10.14 or higher to use MFA (Microsofts version of 2FA) I see issues like this all the time as I work IT at my school and they require it

10.15, aka Catalina. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

10.15, aka Catalina. 

weird, I would try completely removing the account and adding it back. If that doesn't work you could try a pram clear which is where you power off, then hold command + option + p +r and then press the power button while holding those keys and wait for a chime or the screen to flash 3 times. Clears out some caches that can cause odd issues to occur when full. Not sure if that will fix it but its easy to do and worth a shot

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W