What does a max operating temperature means on a psu?

Yiannis15

Hello my brother just ordered a be quiet pure power 11 600w and the max operating temp is 40C

In my country ambient temps in summer are 35-40C. Will that be a problem?

If you're not pulling 600W - no. But you really want to run good airflow since the temp rating is the maximum temperature for which the OEM can guarantee safe operation.

Just now, 5x5 said:

If you're not pulling 600W - no. But you really want to run good airflow since the temp rating is the maximum temperature for which the OEM can guarantee safe operation.

The pc will be a r5 3600 and Rx5700xt which pulls around 350w I think

3 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

The pc will be a r5 3600 and Rx5700xt which pulls around 350w I think

You'll be fine, just make sure the case has adequate airflow and it doesn't hotbox.

35 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You'll be fine, just make sure the case has adequate airflow and it doesn't hotbox.

Noted

For most companies, it is the max temperature at which the PSU is capable of outputting 100% of what it's rated at on the label. So a 600W PSU rated at 40C will be capable of outputting 600W at 40C. It will be able to operate at a higher temperature, but at a lower wattage.

Seasonic is the exception, as they rate their PSUs for 50C, but only for 80% of the wattage on the label at that temperature. They are rated for 100% output at 40C instead.

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

For most companies, it is the max temperature at which the PSU is capable of outputting 100% of what it's rated at on the label. So a 600W PSU rated at 40C will be capable of outputting 600W at 40C. It will be able to operate at a higher temperature, but at a lower wattage.

Seasonic is the exception, as they rate their PSUs for 50C, but only for 80% of the wattage on the label at that temperature. They are rated for 100% output at 40C instead.

Ok thank you for the information