Samsung Odyssey G7 Review out.

SolarNova

Theres been a lot of hype over this display, one of the few competent reviewers i know of have released their review.

While not the best reviewer I keep an eye on, they do at the very least give us test results of the most important aspects of a display.

Here is Hardware Unboxed review of the G7

Spoiler

I am actually pleasantly surprised with this monitor in some very key aspects. Namely response time. For an VA its amazing.

While 'technically' still slow in the dark transitions, its amazingly fast vs other VA's and most certainly good enough for even competitive gaming.

Its 'average' pixel response speed is on par with other TN and IPS 240hz displays which is unheard of from VA panels till now.

if not for the following detractors I would suggest this monitor to any1 thinking of buying a 'gaming' display.

The 'issues'

The curve , its VERY curved, if u dont like curved display ull hate this display. And from a personal view point i wouldnt hold it against u either :P

The BFI implementation, its just bad, dont use it.

The 'native' contrast.

This is a subject that connects to a bunch of issues. Its on the very lowest end of VA panel contrast ratio's. At 'only' 2000:1, while much better than IPS or TN, itsn ot that great for VA, and its almost certain to be down to the choice to go curved with the panel and the need for better viewing angles. Layers added to the panel to increase viewing angles has been done before and its always caused a reduction in contrast, this is likely whats happened here.

Unfortunate but not a killer 'issue.

An issue related to contrast and the choice of going curved is the 'local dimming'.

its edge lit and only 8 zones, enough to get the HDR600 certification but terrible in actual use and the reason why the low native contrast likely wasn't a concern to Samsung.

Finally, also connected to the above, is the poor uniformity caused by the backlight bleed (BLB) of the edge lit backlighting which is always more susceptible on curved panels.

The final 'issue' is the price. IMo it shouldnt have some of hte above issue for the price that is being sold at, BUT ..it is the best VA panel gaming display out there so .....guess it depends on ur point of view.

Overall a great new display, I'll be interested to see how the levels of BLB differ from other review samples as more reviews come out.

I think Samsung could have easily been onto a hands down winner if they just went with a flat panel, made sure uniformity was good and perhaps used 'proper' FALD implementation rather than edge lit.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So yeah, it's Samsung so as always, only VA at least a good one in terms of speed, still I wouldn't get it for 240Hz. The curve too though... I avoid both like the plague. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, SolarNova said:

While not the best reviewer I keep an eye on

rtings.com also has their review out.  It posted yesterday.  I dont have youtube so I was going through their data yesterday.  It does seem to be a great monitor.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, X570 ASUS Prime Pro, 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz CL16,

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27" 1080P @ 280hz and LG CX 4k tv

Hopes and Dreams: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 and Ryzen 9 5950x

I havnt commented on it yet because it may turn out that rtings unit is defective as the HDR scores are unexpectedly low.

Regardless, for a VA is is exceptionally fast in terms of pixel response, but does show signs of flashlighting in the black uniformity tests which is unfortunate..

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |