Electrical Surge Killed My Pc...

BRA1ND3AD

My house recently got struck by an electrical surge, it killed both my router and my PC, however, after testing my PSU from my bricked PC it appears to work, should I still use it? Could it kill the new PC I am building or is it fine?

8 minutes ago, BRA1ND3AD said:

My house recently got struck by an electrical surge, it killed both my router and my PC, however, after testing my PSU from my bricked PC it appears to work, should I still use it? Could it kill the new PC I am building or is it fine?

Did you jumpstart the psu? Are you sure the pc broke in the electrical surge some households have surge protectors

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Nah, I have old scuffed British plugs, turned out there was no surge protection, The PC broke regardless of jumpstarting , whereas the PSU still seems to work, PSU fan spins and some leds in the case still light up when I turn it on.

3 minutes ago, BRA1ND3AD said:

Nah, I have old scuffed British plugs, turned out there was no surge protection, The PC broke regardless of jumpstarting , whereas the PSU still seems to work, PSU fan spins and some leds in the case still light up when I turn it on.

Have you tested the pc with a different psu? Just because the psu spins the fan doesn't mean it is working at all.

1 minute ago, BRA1ND3AD said:

Without testing the unit in a proper environment and with proper equipment, there's not telling I'd it's actually working or if it's going to send 230v to the CPU

If the PC doesn't work anymore then the most likely culprit is the PSU, and even if it worked if something died after it it would mean a significant surge went through it and it should not be trusted anymore. 

Other option is that since your router got fried the surge could actually have been transmitted through the network instead of power.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, BRA1ND3AD said:

What PSU?

In the event of a surge, the PSU should commit suppuku and save your PC.  If the surge went THROUGH the PSU and killed your PC, I doubt the PSU actually still properly works.  Fan spinning and some LEDs does not mean the PSU actually works.