Best Distro For Me

I am really intrested about linux nowadays. I want to move from windows 10 but dunno which one to go for. I have asus n550jv cn240-h but i replaced my 1TB hdd with samsung 850 evo 250GB ssd so i am looking for something compatibale, in the sametime with minimum bloatware in modern, clean and miniamlistic look with lightweight on hardware side. And because of having 250GB storage space i am looking for something don't uses as much as windows does. How less GB that much better. I am gaming heavily and i am not experienced about linux but i have some experience on android side. And i am really into research. But if it would be really complex i may give up because of complexity. And it should be stable cuz i gonna use it as my daily driver.

6 minutes ago, Welt said:

I am gaming heavily and i am not experienced about linux

for as good as the linux support for gaming is.. if you already have windows, stick with windows...

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

for as good as the linux support for gaming is.. if you already have windows, stick with windows...

But i don't want to. Because of windows eats a lot of cpu and ram.

So will linux when you do equivalent things, there's no miracle.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Manjaro is generally my recommendation or Pop if you don't want to go Arch based.

Ubutu is a solid pick but I don't like it myself.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

For gaming with little Linux experience, I'd suggest sticking with big distros as they'll have easier access to support if (and in my experience, when) you run into a problem. Generally things based on Ubuntu, like Pop! OS, Linux Mint, or Ubuntu itself would be my recommendations. Keep a Windows partition around unless you're absolutely certain you won't play anything that's Windows only. This includes everything with any external anti-cheat like BattlEye or EAC, and about 25% of games on Steam overall, though that number is consistently shrinking.

Check https://www.protondb.com/ to check if games you play work on Linux.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

For gaming with little Linux experience, I'd suggest sticking with big distros as they'll have easier access to support if (and in my experience, when) you run into a problem. Generally things based on Ubuntu, like Pop! OS, Linux Mint, or Ubuntu itself would be my recommendations. Keep a Windows partition around unless you're absolutely certain you won't play anything that's Windows only. This includes everything with any external anti-cheat like BattlEye or EAC, and about 25% of games on Steam overall, though that number is consistently shrinking.

Check https://www.protondb.com/ to check if games you play work on Linux.

I have some games with external anti-cheat but they run badly(bronze or borked) on linux as winehq.com and protondb.com says. But i heard something like ubuntu is full of bloatware. So i want minimal even zero blotware. And isn't there any solution to this external anti-cheat problem.

4 hours ago, Welt said:

So i want minimal even zero blotware.

Arch Linux, but there is no installer. Closest thing with a GUI to Arch will be Manjaro, then remove anything you don't want via pamac.

May be necessary to setup PRIME, though I am not sure as I don't use NVIDIA. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

If you decide to look at Manjaro, id give a look at the KDE variant if you want a more Windows feel and a very customizable Desktop Environment.

However for your NVIDIA Card, I would recommend PopOS! for its out of the box support for NVIDIA.

4 hours ago, Welt said:

And isn't there any solution to this external anti-cheat problem.

No. It's a waiting Game. Easy Anti-cheat and Denuvo Anti-Cheat are in the works, but no idea when we will see a stable and reliable compatibility merge.

Anti-Cheats systems such as Vanguard that is used in Valaront won't be possible due to the fact it runs in Ring 0 of the Windows Kernel, unless the Vanguard developers work in co-operation with the Linux Community to bring support. Given its Kernel access, I don't see that going to well.

The rest, will just depend.

4 hours ago, Welt said:

I have some games with external anti-cheat but they run badly(bronze or borked) on linux as winehq.com and protondb.com says. But i heard something like ubuntu is full of bloatware. So i want minimal even zero blotware. And isn't there any solution to this external anti-cheat problem.

Don't listen to everything you hear. Ubuntu is about as bloatware free as you can possibly get on a plug and play OS, but some people consider things like a graphical app store, office suite, music player, or even video codec support to be bloatware. You can delete anything you don't need among those, use a minimal installation and only install what you need when you need it, or if you really want to dig in and get every megabyte of disk space you can go for a distro that bundles nothing like Arch or Gentoo.

There are no work-arounds for external anti-cheat until the companies that make them add Linux support.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Yep. Ubuntu "full install" comes with everything a casual user would probably want e.g. libreoffice, music / video players, photo editor... But if you choose a minimal install none of that is there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It appears OP knows more or less what he wants -- something light and quick.  Most here are ubuntu, mint, or manjaro fans with ful DEs.  Having run GNU/Linux for years older, less expensive hardware (aka 'cheap'), I can say if you go with one of the above, dogo with a Mininimal Install Long Term Support (LTS) version.  Here are a couple webpages to help you narrow down your choices, @Welt

One

Two

If it runs well on an old computer, it will run even better on a modern one!  And another PCLOS -- either MATE or Openbox would be my suggestion.

Best wishes & Welcome!

Thanks for all of your supports i will consider everything you said. But atm i'm gonna research for arch linux it seems the best option for me because i want every megabyte in my storage. And i have a question is there any program like intel xtu or throttlestop for linux ? Cuz i need an undervolt on my cpu and bios doesn't allows me to do it but via programs like intel xtu or throttle stop i can modify my cpu. I seen sparky linux gameover everywhere on the internet what about it is it a good distro ?

2 hours ago, sp331yi said:

It appears OP knows more or less what he wants -- something light and quick.  Most here are ubuntu, mint, or manjaro fans with ful DEs.  Having run GNU/Linux for years older, less expensive hardware (aka 'cheap'), I can say if you go with one of the above, dogo with a Mininimal Install Long Term Support (LTS) version.  Here are a couple webpages to help you narrow down your choices, @Welt

One

Two

If it runs well on an old computer, it will run even better on a modern one!  And another PCLOS -- either MATE or Openbox would be my suggestion.

Best wishes & Welcome!

and in the first site that you gave one of the users said AntiX that i never heard of before so i am researching it right now.

5 minutes ago, Welt said:

Thanks for all of your supports i will consider everything you said. But atm i'm gonna research for arch linux it seems the best option for me because i want every megabyte in my storage. And i have a question is there any program like intel xtu or throttlestop for linux ? Cuz i need an undervolt on my cpu and bios doesn't allows me to do it but via programs like intel xtu or throttle stop i can modify my cpu.

Arch Install Guide

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Undervolting_CPU

https://github.com/kitsunyan/intel-undervolt

@Welt as a pretty long time Linux user Id say give Manjaro a go. It should get you up and running fast. Looking at some of the other suggestions I'd avoid obscure distros like antix at least until you are a bit more comfortable with Linux. The reason I say this is because finding help can be alot more difficult. One exception to this is arch linux since it's wiki is pretty much the best Linux documentation out there.

Once you get comfortable with Manjaro but want to go more under the hood give arch a try. That's only if you want to. You can also use Manjaro's architect installer. It gives you alot more control but you will want to be a bit more comfortable with Linux.

Another suggestion would be Pop os while I haven't tried it myself Ive heard good things but I'd give Manjaro a try since you don't have to worry about changing to new releases and if you run into issues there are often plenty of solutions out there since the people running arch had them a week earlier.

Edit: forgot to mention that Manjaro and arch have the AUR which is one of the biggest benefits of using arch.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:23 PM, Welt said:

I am really intrested about linux nowadays. I want to move from windows 10 but dunno which one to go for. I have asus n550jv cn240-h but i replaced my 1TB hdd with samsung 850 evo 250GB ssd so i am looking for something compatibale, in the sametime with minimum bloatware in modern, clean and miniamlistic look with lightweight on hardware side. And because of having 250GB storage space i am looking for something don't uses as much as windows does. How less GB that much better. I am gaming heavily and i am not experienced about linux but i have some experience on android side. And i am really into research. But if it would be really complex i may give up because of complexity. And it should be stable cuz i gonna use it as my daily driver.

Try ubuntu 20.04, if you want an OS less resource consuming, try Ubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS runs fine on my 8 year old machine. 

Screenshot from 2020-07-16 16-15-30.png

Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix is prolly what you want. Cinnamon is a fairly light, powerful, Windows-like desktop environment, and the Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix is based on Ubuntu (giving the name). Also, unlike Mint (who also use (and even maintain) the Cinnamon desktop), it doesn't take away half your ability to work by default. Gotta recommend it. You can find it at https://ubuntucinnamon.org