Help selecting a basic case

Hi guys, I'm building a new desktop and I'm looking for case that is discrete, I don't want RGB perhaps a side window but I don't mind if the case doesn't have one.

In a previous build for my wife I used a Corsair Carbide Spec-01 but barely has any space for cable management and it doesn't allows tall coolers, I barely fitted a Hyper 212 in it.

These are the specs that I'm looking into it:

Ryzen 7 1700 or Ryzen 5 1600 with an XFX Radeon RX580 8GB

I was thinking in a Cooler Master MCB-Q300L or Corsair cc-9011138-ww but I don't know how good are these cases.

I'm not planning to do any overclock that requires a lot of air flow or heavy gaming. Mostly it will be used for 3D printing, handling 3D models, slicing and stuff like that but I want a case that might allow future upgrades.

I appreciate if you can give some me recommendations for a case.

18 minutes ago, Lord.Humungus said:

Hi guys, I'm building a new desktop and I'm looking for case that is discrete, I don't want RGB perhaps a side window but I don't mind if the case doesn't have one.

In a previous build for my wife I used a Corsair Carbide Spec-01 but barely has any space for cable management and it doesn't allows tall coolers, I barely fitted a Hyper 212 in it.

I was thinking in a Cooler Master MCB-Q300L or Corsair cc-9011138-ww but I don't know how good are these cases.

I'm not planning to do any overclock that requires a lot of air flow or heavy gaming. Mostly it will be used for 3D printing, handling 3D models, slicing and stuff like that but I want a case that might allow future upgrades.

FD Define series have understated aesthetics... Define Nano S, for example.

Looking at the variants of the Q300, do you mean 'small & easily hidden... unobtrusive'?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

FD Define series have understated aesthetics...

Looking at the variants of the Q300, do you mean 'small & easily hidden... unobtrusive'?

Thanks, I will have a look at FD cases. 

Size is not a concern, but I don't want to pay extra for something "gamer" or full of RGB, but I want something that allows for good cable management and perhaps to upgrade, the Corsair Carbide Spec-01 I used before doesn't have room for cooler upgrades or cable management, barely have any space behind the back panel.

It should be noted the Q300L (a case I've worked with) is an mATX case, while your SPEC-01 is an ATX case. If your current motherboard is ATX, it wont fit in the Q300L or any other mATX case. If it is an mATX, then the motherboard will fit, the 212 will fit and the RX580 will fit. And if you're crazy like me, you can use a hole saw to get more airflow out of the front panel (but it isnt necessary, as the system I built was for gaming)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It should be noted the Q300L (a case I've worked with) is an mATX case, while your SPEC-01 is an ATX case. If your current motherboard is ATX, it wont fit in the Q300L or any other mATX case. If it is an mATX, then the motherboard will fit, the 212 will fit and the RX580 will fit. And if you're crazy like me, you can use a hole saw to get more airflow out of the front panel (but it isnt necessary, as the system I built was for gaming)

Thanks a lot, I think I’m going to try that case. I like the design and i’m actually reusing a B450 Aorus mATX.

3 minutes ago, Lord.Humungus said:

Thanks a lot, I think I’m going to try that case. I like the design and i’m actually reusing a B450 Aorus mATX.

Then it should work. Here's the build log if you're interested.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 7/13/2020 at 3:19 PM, TVwazhere said:

Then it should work. Here's the build log if you're interested.

Nice, I saw you used a shappire 570. I had never use sapphire before but the pulse 580 is around $20 cheaper than the MSI. Same specs. 

It is good, fan noise and quality? 

I went for an MSI 580 because I had MSI 1050 Ti and it was OK. That 1050 was an exchange from a powercolor rx 560 that had a DP dead from the factory. 

On 7/13/2020 at 3:44 AM, Lord.Humungus said:

mhmm, what's the budget?

You might like the phanteks Enthoo lineup

(Enthoo pro tempered glass ($113)(full tower):41jO%2BypsJOL.jpg519Gupp3vSL.jpg51YqKpa6n2L.jpg

Enthoo Pro M TG ($99.99) (Mid tower):96e46cd7abdf88e5fd2d5ac8aa0fff36.1600.jpg3b891a10b42a61236f0d68a33b2d08b2.1600.jpg41Rrmwc7VCL.jpg

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

6 hours ago, Lord.Humungus said:

Nice, I saw you used a shappire 570. I had never use sapphire before but the pulse 580 is around $20 cheaper than the MSI. Same specs. 

It is good, fan noise and quality? 

I went for an MSI 580 because I had MSI 1050 Ti and it was OK. That 1050 was an exchange from a powercolor rx 560 that had a DP dead from the factory. 

Ive used the Sapphire Pulse 570 and 580 Blue edition (In Blue Build Log 2018, link in signature) and both cards are well built IMO and are able to keep their respective GPU's cool while staying quiet under load. Neither owner of the systems have complained about noise yet either which further reinforces this. 

16 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Ive used the Sapphire Pulse 570 and 580 Blue edition (In Blue Build Log 2018, link in signature) and both cards are well built IMO and are able to keep their respective GPU's cool while staying quiet under load. Neither owner of the systems have complained about noise yet either which further reinforces this. 

Thanks I returned the MSI, Amazon had the sapphire for $15 more. I would update my build once I have everything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, here is the final rig.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1233752-basic-rig-for-3d-printing/

I had to swap my Aorus B450 for a Gigabyte B450M DS3H, I couldn't make it work. I tried everything but just didn't post.

And prices were ridiculous, that's the reason because it took so long.