Asus Crosshair Hero VIII is a joke

frozensun

Last night I looked carefully at the board...what a joke this board is compared to 2 models I own too (Rampage V Extreme and Formula VIII).

This board is nothing special,few jumpers (who needs LN2 OC),some fan connectors,even start button is nothing special (like I'm back in 2012).

RGB sucks on it,it board doesn't even have backplate..

For what I payed almost 500 eur,this board is not worth it more then 300...

And Asus we don't want to decorate room with your box bundle.. (coaster,stickers)

Before when you buy ROG board you get a lot of those mambo jumbos...

Lifted the board from the box and there I found only 6 sata cables and RGB cable extension...

And even the box is 30 % smaller compared to Rampage V box.and for what I payed 500 euros,obviously for Asus advertise marketing and that shit...

I mean seriously lets face it,what on this board is worth 500 euros??

I don't see nothing special on it,and even the START button looks like a joke to me,compared to my Formula VIII who costed 30 % less,and Hero VIII even doesn't have backplate.

Come on asus who needs a coaster,stickers,give us more SATA cables,you didn't even include thermal probes,and where are CF  and SLI bridges?

I'm telling you guys,the IT market is 50 % more expensive then before,equipment is bad quality (ofc China) and we even get minimal gadgets in the boxes..

I'm thinking for what I gave 500 euros,nothing besides chipset here is worth of money.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I have the Crosshair VIII Hero myself. Its not built/made for regular use. its made for extreme overclocking and people who push the very boundaries of what they can do with Silicon. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I have the Crosshair VIII Hero myself. Its not built/made for regular use. its made for extreme overclocking and people who push the very boundaries of what they can do with Silicon. 

so I payed 500 eur for LN2 jumper?Loool.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

54 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Basically. The board took a massive jump in target audience from being flagship enthusiast board like the VI and VII hero's were to being targeted at the extreme overclockers under $500 like most of the extreme boards are. They also have a higher end board than the Crosshair VIII Hero, the Crosshair VIII Formula, which comes in at $600. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

When you asked about what board to buy, literally everybody told you ‘it’s for ln2 ocing, get a Tomahawk B550 instead’. 

You knew that it was for LN2 overclocking, we had given you advice on what to buy instead, and you ignore that advice and then get angry when you pay for useless features you won’t use. 

*buys board intended for LN2 overclocking, despite tens of people saying it's not worth it for non extreme overclockers*

*surprised that the board is intended for extreme overclockers and LN2 overclocking/overvolting*

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Ofc I didn't buy it for LN2,I bought it because love the look of it and it has more USB ports then any other board at that price range,specially USB 3.2 Gen2

But I admit it is expensive and not worth 500 $.

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

not worth 500 $

To you. 

It is worth $500 to extreme overclockers who can use the extra features that increased the price. 

15 hours ago, frozensun said:

Yeah, because all the cost went into a jumper, not into the VRM (and that doesn't mean just throwing in some fancy power stages), the VRM heatsinks, the memory topology, the PCIe 4.0 switches, the SLI certification, the 6 or 8 or whatever layer PCB, etc. Nah, that's peanuts.

Also, it's not a $500 board. The WIFI version costs $379, while the non-WIFI version costs $359, at least get your facts straight. Or at least some, rather.

Yes, you paid however much for a board whose vast majority of features you won't ever use. People suggested you several different motherboard options that would've worked for you the exact same way while spending a whole lot less money, but nah those weren't good because they wouldn't have boosted your e-peen enough.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

14 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah, because all the cost went into a jumper, not into the VRM (and that doesn't mean just throwing in some fancy power stages), the VRM heatsinks, the memory topology, the PCIe 4.0 switches, the SLI certification, the 6 or 8 or whatever layer PCB, etc. Nah, that's peanuts.

Also, it's not a $500 board. The WIFI version costs $379, while the non-WIFI version costs $359, at least get your facts straight. Or at least some, rather.

Yes, you paid however much for a board whose vast majority of features you won't ever use. People suggested you several different motherboard options that would've worked for you the exact same way while spending a whole lot less money, but nah those weren't good because they wouldn't have boosted your e-peen enough.

Dude maybe where you live,I paid 450 euros here for that board,and don't care about pricing in your country...

Simply accept OP's decision that he wanted X570 straight out of the box,and midrange board X570 here is around 350-400 euros.

Source:

https://iponcomp.com/shop/termek/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-hero/1745312?pbkeyword=asus+rog+crosshair+viii+hero&ref=pbproductsug&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=f9b23bf247852b6e08def766eda58ca14818b42e-1594920889-0-AQeepxyzzcKF2Ql7hq9aMf9H8QlXn_choe7MJDaDRiJHcFyhk5VHfwtYhvS7bWtAaRmEd3p87Hh3JYMZ3hIZp6-6WMtXb0cIucw56dlWKC9Rid8uhhf3t0Nmuy-ZkFNLKsPyw_YYoXM9tCknxzpw7kT8zM_uVAYzZOHaKo5Uqxiyd8fEPUJfVj-BBZF34SC9QLZxLNNtoZFspg033Lp9KgGK2Vw_2fVWOEJgJKRtTEOgh6qnPo_EiyJuA5IV1spVpBu0D678sJ00ghgF_c9VZp98X0J5G7h-cDTW40X3FZx1mDC5yPSAkkbxlRI5GOntwozNXL_FZ6ynVJamvQNjlBKva_nWnmloEkZZGtxUSgjJ-9cppQ6BDS7bIccCikek9xk_VMx7EWtT8GBw0JQOY1iw-z4ZHUaBMvvdaE7jVIoVmULIYPFkc-EhxmslnUUwU_Jebd9Vp-8QNKUtTjFvcNktjrVcWrjuilx0cTB0TMNW
Hungarian valute.

Edited by LogicalDrm

14 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

This board costs 450 euros and at that price range I purchased rampage V Extreme 3 years ago, which is E-ATX form,and those boards can not even compare...Hero doesn't even have dual BIOS,and it's pointless to talk about a 450 euros board which doesn't have safe boot button and dual BIOS.Forget about 8 layer pcb,and that crap,it's just marketing...

Steel vrm heatsink costs like few $,I could go to a worker and he could make it for me...

For 450 euros I can buy a fridge and dish machine for the price of motherboard,come on,admit it,well all pay for marketing they do,those components are not nearly in great quality compared like 8 years ago...

Edited by LogicalDrm

That was actually MSRP, not my local pricing.

Then get a cheaper board? I honestly cannot believe that there were no cheaper X570 boards than the Hero for you locally. That's just ridiculous.

This board costs 450 euros and at that price range I purchased rampage V Extreme 3 years ago, which is E-ATX form,and those boards can not even compare...Hero doesn't even have dual BIOS,and it's pointless to talk about a 450 euros board which doesn't have safe boot button and dual BIOS.Forget about 8 layer pcb,and that crap,it's just marketing...

The Hero has a Safe Boot button, and if you were so worried about dual BIOS, why didn't you get an X570 Aorus Master? I'd imagine you would do some research before throwing €450 on a board, no?

7 hours ago, frozensun said:

I need 12 usb connectors

If only usb would support something like a hub 😂

What a coincidence that you need exactly  11 normal, and 1 usb-c. Lets hope none of them ever blow out, then your 1 short and need a other board. Pro tip: dont buy any other usb device, cause im not sure if theres mobos with 13 ports.

Funny how you never mentiomed this requirement in your original request and instead went with:

/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, frozensun said:

Visual ispection of Elite,this MB looks very poor with components.

Seemingly, your visual inspection for the rog board was less thourough than with the elite?

Admittedly, in a later thread you did mention usb, but only that it was silly some boards still have some usb 2 ports, mentioning your printer, mouse and keyboard. At least now that you have the rog board theres no usb 2.0 bandwidth limits bottlenecking your typing speed or mouse movements :)

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

well all pay for marketing they do ...

Correct. We also pay there salaries, company cars, etc. by buying their products. Even their company parties, hotels etc.

(Behind the scenes they are laughing about those who think its just cost of goods and assembly they pay for).

Spoiler

Some people fall for the pretty marketing pictures without even reading specs before buying, so seemingly it works  to gear more money towards marketing than components :)

it's pointless to talk about a 450 euros board which doesn't have safe boot button and dual BIOS.

But theres a point to buying it while the absence of features is clear from the specs and then blaming it on asus marketing team when reading the specs afterwards? 

Forget about 8 layer pcb,and that crap,it's just marketing...

Actually, circuits on 8 vs 6 layers have more room/options for separation in their traces (and allow for shielding in the areas where the extra layers are unused) and thus less interference (which can be measured using oscillosope). This can benefit oc's at higher frequencies, helps keeping v rails cleaner, and reduce things like audio crosstalk.

Out of curiousity, do you have like a table of links to the specsheets of the components on your previous boards and the components on this board? (The quality difference in electronic components is evident in their specsheets, not in visual inspection). With a lot of tech advances a 20ct chinese part might now do better than a 3$ "non chinese?" part of 8 years ago (i doubt that countries of sourcing materials or manufacuring sites have changed that much, but "okay").

2 hours ago, Oswin said:

damn looks like the karen meme makes sense now

😂😂😂 i cracked up reading that lol

*** Thread cleaned ***

How about this, you try to stay on topic and not go into personals. Next up will be locking if you people can't behave.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv