GPU clock problem with dual screens

Godview

Hello guys.

I find GPU clock is not normal when use dual screens running at different resolutions.

I'm using  4K(3840*2160)@60Hz 10bit and 2K(2560*1440)@120Hz 10bit displays, both are directly connected to graphic card with DP cable. When they both on, GPU runs at a boost clock (both core and memory), just like running a game, but GPU usage is almost 0% (only desktop).

It's very strange because I used two 2K displays before and there was no such issue, GPU clock was about hundreds MHz. When I set the 4K display to a 2K resolution, then the clock drops to normal level, no matter what is the refresh frequncy. But as long as running at different resolution GPU clock will boost to 1750MHz (core) 8000MHz (memory).

I don't know what happens inside or if there was a solution. Plz help.

My rigs: Intel i7-9700K, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Super, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite, 16GB RAM,

AOC LV273HUPR, Acer XV272U,

Windows 10 version 2004.

Sounds normal. You can use nvidia inspector and force multi display power saver. But if the card gets limited to much it can become unstable cause display issues. 

Best to let it do what it needs, no adverse effects, usage is still low as well as temps. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Perfectly normal. The card needs to be in a higher performance state to drive all the pixels. A low clock would result in heavy artifacting.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Perfectly normal. The card needs to be in a higher performance state to drive all the pixels. A low clock would result in heavy artifacting.

higher performance state yes... but running at full boost clock on the desktop.. no.

my suggestion is to reinstall your GPU driver for good measure (probably wont fix the issue, but wont hurt..), and then start poking around at your background applications, chances are one of those is actually the culprit for causing the higher clock from the GPU, due to an odd display configuration. coming from a "been there, done that" 😛

Just now, manikyath said:

higher performance state yes... but running at full boost clock on the desktop.. no.

my suggestion is to reinstall your GPU driver for good measure (probably wont fix the issue, but wont hurt..), and then start poking around at your background applications, chances are one of those is actually the culprit for causing the higher clock from the GPU, due to an odd display configuration. coming from a "been there, done that" 😛

His clocks are normal, the exact same thing happens on all our machines with 4K screens.

25 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

His clocks are normal, the exact same thing happens on all our machines with 4K screens.

here i was getting my 4K display out the clouset to prove you wrong... and i found out that my GPU's running at full clock all the time again, no matter which display or displays are hooked up..

guess indirectly that also proves my point this isnt a trait of 4k displays?

if i get this resolved quickly i'll drop in some actually sensible figures...

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

here i was getting my 4K display out the clouset to prove you wrong... and i found out that my GPU's running at full clock all the time again, no matter which display or displays are hooked up..

guess indirectly that also proves my point this isnt a trait of 4k displays?

if i get this resolved quickly i'll drop in some actually sensible figures...

But, if I disable the 2K monitor, only 4K, the GPU clock drops to a low state....

43 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I reinstall the driver but sadly nothing help... As I said, if I set the same resolution, GPU clock drops, otherwise it runs at full clock. Very strange...

New test result. If I set refresh at 30Hz for 4K and 60Hz for 2K, the gpu clock drops to normal... So it does need higher performance but why so high. Besides, drive two 2K displays also at a low clock, even one of them refreshs at 120Hz....

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Sounds normal. You can use nvidia inspector and force multi display power saver. But if the card gets limited to much it can become unstable cause display issues. 

Best to let it do what it needs, no adverse effects, usage is still low as well as temps. 

Thank you very much. I tried your advice, it's the best solution for now.😃

there we go.. clean installed drivers, a few reboots, and here's the results:

2x 1440p display (my default config): 135MHz core, with an occasional jump to 600-ish when an application needs attention

2x 1440p display, and my very finnicky 4k display added, with a reboot in between because said 4k display is an arse... 899MHz core

1x 1440p display, and said finnicky 4k display, drops down to 135MHz again.

2x 1440p display, finnicky 4k panel, and a crappy 1280x1024 LCD at a screaming 75Hz added 'for the lulz': 899MHz again.

before i gave my drivers a reinstall i was stuck at 1100ish MHz, which i didnt reach with any of the scenarios presented.

running games presents me with a core clock of around 1100-1200MHz depending on how demanding the game is (i vsync all the things..) 

while i dont have any high refresh rate displays, switching between 30 and 60Hz (or 75Hz for the shitpael) yielded no different results in the above case.

do i make my point that getting full core clock on the desktop is not 'normal', even for complicated setups?