Odd request. I need a mouse that's metal

I have some sort of weird skin thing where holding a plastic mouse has been causing pain for my thumb pointer finger and the palm of my hand I would really love to get a metal mouse and possibly keyboard... Price really isn't an issue as long as it ships to New York.

I use the Logitech m570 and Elecom ex-6 m-xt3urbk

Which are both trackball mice yes I prefer a trackball but at this point I don't have a choice.

I was looking at the teamwolf immortal aluminum and stainless steel structure mouse but any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Carbon fiber might also be an option

Edit: if anyone else has had problems with their skin while using computer mice please let me know my doctor is baffled.

I think Corsair's M65 is made out of aluminium, but other than that I can't think of any other mice made out of metal.

When it comes to keyboards, Ducky's Shine 7 has a zinc alloy plate all across the top of the keyboard.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Are you sure it caused by plastic and not by the type of plastic? Or another variable that is triggered by holding the mouse?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Are you sure it caused by plastic and not by the type of plastic? Or another variable that is triggered by holding the mouse?

I contacted Logitech about it and they basically refused to tell me what they finish The mouse with because it seems all manufacturers use some sort of antimicrobial finish to their PC equipment so there's a chance I'm allergic to that. I've tried Logitech, elecom, and Microsoft

Logitech stated that they use ABS plastic elecom gave me a boilerplate response that did not answer my question and Microsoft never answered me.

9 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I think Corsair's M65 is made out of aluminium, but other than that I can't think of any other mice made out of metal.

When it comes to keyboards, Ducky's Shine 7 has a zinc alloy plate all across the top of the keyboard.

Thank you for your response but the Corsair m65 is an aluminum frame not aluminum buttons helpful but not enough unfortunately.

I've never heard of ducky before I'm going to have to look into this though....

Seems that Ducky's keycaps are made of ABS or PBT unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

Very interesting situation.  Without knowing any other examples, I'd second the M65 mentioned above.  I never knew such a thing even existed.

Edit: perhaps the buttons could be covered in aluminum foil or something?  Not exactly a luxury solution but perhaps it's better than nothing?

For keyboards, I am somewhat in the same boat, hence why I'm posting.  Though my reasoning for wanting this is different, I am also looking for some metal keycaps, which is definitely what you will want.  It isn't that hard to find a metal frame keyboard but the frame isn't what you're typing on.  I have found sets before that cover WASD or even the whole upper 8 (QWERASDF) but never all letters and certainly not the whole board sadly.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Very interesting situation.  Without knowing any other examples, I'd second the M65 mentioned above.  I never knew such a thing even existed.

Edit: perhaps the buttons could be covered in aluminum foil or something?  Not exactly a luxury solution but perhaps it's better than nothing?

For keyboards, I am somewhat in the same boat, hence why I'm posting.  Though my reasoning for wanting this is different, I am also looking for some metal keycaps, which is definitely what you will want.  It isn't that hard to find a metal frame keyboard but the frame isn't what you're typing on.  I have found sets before that cover WASD or even the whole upper 8 (QWERASDF) but never all letters and certainly not the whole board sadly.

Metal keyboard caps replacements do sound good. honestly the pain is only in my right hand for the mouse. I'm only interested in getting the metal keypads to preempt the problem but thank you for your time that is a good idea. Maybe I can find a nice illuminated one that would be great

Just now, Skunktail said:

Metal keyboard caps replacements do sound good honestly the pain is only in my right hand for the mouse I'm only interested in getting the metal keypads to preempt the problem but thank you for your time that is a good idea. Maybe I can find a nice illuminated one that would be great

Just to point you in the right direction, this is what I'm referring to:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mechanical-keyboard-stainless-non-plating-personality/dp/B07TGDKGC6/

Note that these show up all over under various names, so this particular listing is not necessarily the be all end all.  You can find them on Amazon, eBay, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just to point you in the right direction, this is what I'm referring to:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mechanical-keyboard-stainless-non-plating-personality/dp/B07TGDKGC6/

Note that these show up all over under various names, so this particular listing is not necessarily the be all end all.  You can find them on Amazon, eBay, etc.

I will be buying this if I can find a full set

1 minute ago, Skunktail said:

I will be buying this if I can find a full set

me too xD

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can find plain metal key caps without markings that you can mark how you would like, not to hard to do especially if you already touch type and don’t need the markings (I still consider this masochism) but to each there own

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

You can find plain metal key caps without markings that you can mark how you would like, not to hard to do.

Depending on what OP wants that might be a good option.  I forgot to mention, I do want "markings" still, and more than that, the ability for a backlight to shine through, not just a sticker of the letter, but that's my problem and not his so I won't derail

I've been messaging the most common mouse manufacturers seeing if anyone is willing to make a metal mouse, Will keep this post updated.

• 2 weeks later...

So far

reddragon and steelseries have both replied, seemingly confused at my request of a metal mouse, then when they understood, the answer was no. they don't make one.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, Skunktail said:

So far

reddragon and steelseries have both replied, seemingly confused at my request of a metal mouse, then when they understood, the answer was no. they don't make one.

I'm sure you have tried vertical mice (like logitech mx vertical), otherwise you wouldn't have come to this conclusion, right?
Do gloves help with your issue? How about the way you rest your arm?

I guess money is not an issue, since apparently you would be down to pay for a one-off metal mouse by a major manufacturer. If so maybe there's some artisan in your area who could fabricate a few metal inserts for your chosen mouse. I'm thinking thin copper or aluminum plates on the problematic surfaces. A few holes in the plastic parts, little legs/pins on the corners/ sides of the plates. Maybe some double sided tape.

Aluminum foil attached with double sided tape??? (i really like this idea) You would need to do a very precise job and it would be pretty fragile, but I don't see any other issues with it. Cheap, fast, universal, and you get a mouse with metallic surface.

I don't mean to be annoying, your situation is simply puzzling. 

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, 00RaZoR11 said:

I'm sure you have tried vertical mice (like logitech mx vertical), otherwise you wouldn't have come to this conclusion, right?
Do gloves help with your issue? How about the way you rest your arm?

I guess money is not an issue, since apparently you would be down to pay for a one-off metal mouse by a major manufacturer. If so maybe there's some artisan in your area who could fabricate a few metal inserts for your chosen mouse. I'm thinking thin copper or aluminum plates on the problematic surfaces. A few holes in the plastic parts, little legs/pins on the corners/ sides of the plates. Maybe some double sided tape.

Aluminum foil attached with double sided tape??? (i really like this idea) You would need to do a very precise job and it would be pretty fragile, but I don't see any other issues with it. Cheap, fast, universal, and you get a mouse with metallic surface.

I don't mean to be annoying, your situation is simply puzzling. 

I always forget they make aluminum tape I could try that to see if my skin reacts to it.

As for cost of product, when you live on your computer you're willing to pay a little bit more money for something you need when it's something you use every day you know.

I basically have to live through my computer with my health issues.

I'm thinking about getting an copper sheet and jewelers tools and hammering it into shape. if I buy two the same mice I should be able to make a shell myself out of copper The problem is the mouse buttons how do I fix the copper to the buttons while still maintaining flexibility, maybe if I make the joints a little bit thinner they'll be flexible.

Might be a good project idea steampunk mouse.