Will the GTX 1650 be compatible with some of my ancient hardware?

10 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

There's also the possibility for new cards to be released that may be of a better value, I would recommend returning it if possible.

What BIOS revision are you currently on and what is the manufacturer + model of your computer?

I've thought about that; I know the Nvidia 3000 series are on the way, but I've no idea what budgets they'll be in (i.e., they might just be too expensive). I admit I don't really know what's coming on the AMD side, but again, the question arises of whether it'll be in my budget or not. (FWIW, I spent ~$190 including tax on an EVGA 1650 Super; that's basically the top of my budget.)

And I'm not sure what revision I'm on currently (and I'm not at home to check) but there's only one version on the eMachines website for the EL1358G, so it's probably that one. (I'll double check that tonight.)

Also, I'm not OP, and should probably stop hijacking their thread....

19 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

I've thought about that; I know the Nvidia 3000 series are on the way, but I've no idea what budgets they'll be in (i.e., they might just be too expensive). I admit I don't really know what's coming on the AMD side, but again, the question arises of whether it'll be in my budget or not. (FWIW, I spent ~$190 including tax on an EVGA 1650 Super; that's basically the top of my budget.)

Currently on the AMD side for that price-point would be the RX 590 that's a bit faster. I would expect that there would be a price drop on the older cards even if the 3000 series are so much better and that comes at a higher cost, meaning that you still could get better GPU performance for the money if you waited (possibly an RTX 2060 or if there are any new cards launched within your budget).

I did some research and found the RX 590 on sale currently at a really good deal $99 (would recommend using PayPal if you choose to buy at this source since it is more secure and there's buyer protection to refund your money if you don't get what you bought):

https://www.pifourshop.com/XFX-AMD-Radeon-RX-590-Fatboy-OC-8GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-Graphics-Card-p216018802?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudCByou-6gIVrAiICR3hIg9AEAQYASABEgLEFPD_BwE

image.thumb.png.529af6c397614a8d84e3e5bdc523148c.png

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

You've got a lot of good answers already (including suggestions on potentially going with a different card, etc), but I wanted to pipe in with my relatable experience...

Right now, I'm running even more ancient hardware - like, an i5-2500K... But with a 2080 plopped in... And it works great. Is game performance bottlenecked by my CPU? Most definitely. That being said, I still get excellent FPS (more than enough for my 60Hz monitors) in modern games, despite my whole motherboard/cpu/ram combo being straight out of 2011. Especially if the game is well optimized for GPU and isn't too CPU heavy. I don't necessarily recommend it, though it can be a good strategy if you are planning an incremental upgrade but want to start off with something that will give you a good performance boost straight away.

[And before anyone gets on my case... I'm well aware of the absurdity. My previous GPU died a few months ago while I've been in the process of saving up and planning for a high budget enthusiast build, so I went ahead and got the 2080 I was planning for with the intention of transplanting it to the eventual new build.]

2 hours ago, Planet said:

You've got a lot of good answers already (including suggestions on potentially going with a different card, etc), but I wanted to pipe in with my relatable experience...

Right now, I'm running even more ancient hardware - like, an i5-2500K... But with a 2080 plopped in... And it works great. Is game performance bottlenecked by my CPU? Most definitely. That being said, I still get excellent FPS (more than enough for my 60Hz monitors) in modern games, despite my whole motherboard/cpu/ram combo being straight out of 2011. Especially if the game is well optimized for GPU and isn't too CPU heavy. I don't necessarily recommend it, though it can be a good strategy if you are planning an incremental upgrade but want to start off with something that will give you a good performance boost straight away.

[And before anyone gets on my case... I'm well aware of the absurdity. My previous GPU died a few months ago while I've been in the process of saving up and planning for a high budget enthusiast build, so I went ahead and got the 2080 I was planning for with the intention of transplanting it to the eventual new build.]

Thanks! this helped a lot. :)

Just wanted to update you guys; I got the Palit GTX 1650 Super and it is in fact compatible with my PC, just had to plug in the GPU, install Nvidia drivers, uninstall my AMD drivers and works well! Ill continue to update this thread regarding my progress. I think my next move will get a better case than my old case as it is old and dusty, after that I'll get one 8gb HyperX Fury DDR4 ram, b450m motherboard and the ryzen 3 3100 cpu. After all that I'll replace the psu and then get an extra stick of ram :) am very excited for this build since I am saving this with my allowance, it'll be my own custom built baby