I just sold my iMac 5k...

rg4video

I made a tough choice to sell my iMac 5k in exchange for a PC I can have more control over. But i got used to that 5k monitor, 27 inch display.

So, i want to know what’s a good 300-750 dollar display that can be 4K, but preferably good for photography (which is what i bought the iMac for), with bonus of handling games well (60-144hz monitor is fine, not required)?

more than 60hz at 4k gets incredibly expensive. if you really want 4k, get 60hz. there are many good options. I would highly suggest looking at reviews at hardwareunboxed (youtube). They provide excellent monitor reviews and go in depth into specs. 

Gotta choose either gaming or photo. They are different areas and when you want something that covers both it gets expensive fast. For 4k 60hz theres a lot of options but first i'd look at your gpu you plan to get. Will it handle 4k well?

My GPU is a rx5700xt

I definitely recognize the need to decide between one or the other, and of course i would choose photo over gaming.

I’m doing photography for school and they recommended a monitor from NEC.

One “issue” is that i want to get a MacBook Pro later and would want to be able to plug the laptop into the same monitor as well.

Look trough these two links.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/photo-editing-graphic-design

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/33435

To the table tool you can add even more filters from the add column button, if I missed something. Pre calibration means factory calibrated colors. I'm assuming you're not going to calibrate them yourself, but if you do calibrate the monitor you can remove it and add post calibration as a filter.

11 hours ago, rg4video said:

One “issue” is that i want to get a MacBook Pro later and would want to be able to plug the laptop into the same monitor as well.

Not an issue I have my MacBook Pro and PC plugged in to the same display. They make thunderbolt to HDMI/DP adapters, not to expensive. 

I have my MacBook Pro plugged in to 2 monitors. The LG ultra wide is also use with my Gaming machine and my older 16:9 panel is used for my Plex Server. The only real challenge is making sure you buy a monitor with the right inputs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

The LG Ultrafine are thunderbolt only and meant to be used with Macs.

You can get any monitor and just get a thunderbolt dock to connect your MacBook. I prefer 27" for 4K, like LG 27UL650.

If you can wait, the 27GN950 is coming out soon. (4K 160Hz for 800$) 

What are your thoughts on the LG 27UL500-W?

It’s a lot cheaper while only missing the adjustable stand.

27UL600 is the same as 27UL650 without adjustable stand.

27UL500 and 27UL550 you also lose the thin/flat borders. Those have a more traditional frame.

They all use the same panel basically, but I think the 600/650 have slightly better specs. (probably LG binning the panels...)