Best 2k gaming monitor

ChopNorris

Hello everyone, first of all I must say that I don´t know much about gaming monitors, so I´m a bit lost. I´m willing to pay around 500€, but I could go a bit higher if it is really worth it. I´ve got a 2080super and a 3800x, so I have doubts about if I should go for the 2k or 4k for a long term investment. I want it to be >120hz, preferably IPS and with a low response time. Nowadays I´m using a monitor with freesync and seems to be enough for me, anyway I really dont know if paying extra for G-sync brings any benefit. About HDR and other tenchologies, I just dont know what they do or if I´m going to take advantage of them. About the size I would like it to be 24´, but most 2k monitors I´ve seen starts at 27´. 

I´ve been looking around and I found these 3 that seems interesting: 

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ

LG 27GL850-B 

- Samsung Odyssey G7 (this one hasn´t been released yet and It is a bit more expensive, and again I do not know it is worth paying the extra)

What do you guys think? Any other monitor I should check?

Thanks in advance!

I like to recommend these three, two of which you've already found.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-fi27q

If you want to save few euros see if these two are cheaper.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

Here's a table tool you can use to search for even more options, if you want to.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/33259

And lastly, I would suggest you read trough this thread as it has heaps of good information and will help you understand the reviews better.

11 minutes ago, ChopNorris said:

Hello everyone, first of all I must say that I don´t know much about gaming monitors, so I´m a bit lost. I´m willing to pay around 500€, but I could go a bit higher if it is

I would either get a 100hz 1440p ultra wide

or a 240hz IPS 1080p display

depends on how much esports gaming you do.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Gaires said:

I like to recommend these three, two of which you've already found.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/aorus-fi27q

If you want to save few euros see if these two are cheaper.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

Here's a table tool you can use to search for even more options, if you want to.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/33259

And lastly, I would suggest you read trough this thread as it has heaps of good information and will help you understand the reviews better.

I´ve read the post about how to choose, really interesting and instructing. I´ve checked the reviews of rtings and they talk good things about the three of them. Here in Spain the AORUS is 80€ more expensive, which I could afford if its worth. The point is that I really dont find any aspect of those monitors that make me decide between them. At least with my knowledge. The cheap options you mentioned cost the same as the other three here, so I think I´ll discard them.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

About the ultrawide option. I find it really interesting but not sure if my rig could keep 120 hz on that resolution. I dont do a lot of esport gaming, just some MOBA from time to time (and in a really amateur level), so I dont think that going for 240hz would make any difference for me.

Any extra advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

15 minutes ago, ChopNorris said:

The point is that I really dont find any aspect of those monitors that make me decide between them. At least with my knowledge.

LG has the fastest panel, having best response times.

Asus and Gigabyte have better contrast, and Gigabyte has the best brightness. Gigabyte is only one that is HDR 400 certified, but that doesn't mean much as none of them has amazing HDR capabilities.

Gigabyte has slightly better factory calibration for the colors, but I doubt you would notice the difference even if watching all three of them side by side.

Asus has the best ergonomics, but hard to say how important this is to you.

Asus and Gigabyte also has black frame insertion which should reduce blur, but I don't understand it well enough to comment on it really.

You cannot go wrong with any of them so you can choose the cheapest option.

1 hour ago, ChopNorris said:

I´ve read the post about how to choose, really interesting and instructing. I´ve checked the reviews of rtings and they talk good things about the three of them. Here in Spain the AORUS is 80€ more expensive, which I could afford if its worth. The point is that I really dont find any aspect of those monitors that make me decide between them. At least with my knowledge. The cheap options you mentioned cost the same as the other three here, so I think I´ll discard them.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

About the ultrawide option. I find it really interesting but not sure if my rig could keep 120 hz on that resolution. I dont do a lot of esport gaming, just some MOBA from time to time (and in a really amateur level), so I dont think that going for 240hz would make any difference for me.

Any extra advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

I would suggest the Asus Tuf VG27AQ out of the 3.

The LG has rather crap contrast.

The Gigabyte while good, did show worse uniformity.

So IMO, the safest option of the 3 is the Asus VG27AQ.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, ChopNorris said:

Hello everyone, first of all I must say that I don´t know much about gaming monitors, so I´m a bit lost. I´m willing to pay around 500€, but I could go a bit higher if it is really worth it. I´ve got a 2080super and a 3800x, so I have doubts about if I should go for the 2k or 4k for a long term investment. I want it to be >120hz, preferably IPS and with a low response time. Nowadays I´m using a monitor with freesync and seems to be enough for me, anyway I really dont know if paying extra for G-sync brings any benefit. About HDR and other tenchologies, I just dont know what they do or if I´m going to take advantage of them. About the size I would like it to be 24´, but most 2k monitors I´ve seen starts at 27´. 

I´ve been looking around and I found these 3 that seems interesting: 

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ

LG 27GL850-B 

- Samsung Odyssey G7 (this one hasn´t been released yet and It is a bit more expensive, and again I do not know it is worth paying the extra)

What do you guys think? Any other monitor I should check?

Thanks in advance!

The best monitor right now IMO is the Lenovo Y27gq but that’s more than your budget. 

The next best is the ASUS PG279Q which is within your budget. 

1 minute ago, EnVii said:

The best monitor right now IMO is the Lenovo Y27gq but that’s more than your budget. 

The next best is the ASUS PG279Q. 

That's like your opinion, man ...

I'd prefer IPS meself.

TN should be left for pro-s.

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

That's like your opinion, man ...

I'd prefer IPS meself.

TN should be left for pro-s.

I did say IMO 😅

The Lenovo is a 2nd Gen 8-bit TN Monitor and nothing like what you would expect compared to other TN monitors - which are imo horrible, however this one is almost as close to a IPS panel as I’ve seen, but with far better response times & obviously 240Hz at 1440p. 

I’ve made a YouTube video showcasing just how good of a monitor it is. 

It would surprise you how good colours can be reproduced on that monitor. 

So it’s for anyone who wants to futureproof with a Native G-Sync Ultimate Module powering a higher resolution, buttery smooth 240Hz screen. 

The second monitor I recommended is a IPS monitor though. 

8 minutes ago, EnVii said:

It would surprise you how good colours can be reproduced on that monitor.

Yea, newer TN panels are getting better color reproduction, but newer IPS are getting better response times.

Viewing angles are the weakest points still, ant imo TN can't overcome that, by design afaik.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yea, newer TN panels are getting better colour reproduction, but newer IPS are getting better response times.

Viewing angles are the weakest points still, ant imo TN can't overcome that, by design afaik.

IPS are getting slightly better, but still on Average not good enough for 240Hz, since they sit above 4.7ms usually, especially considering Average & highs. 

Perfectly fine for 120-165Hz which is what most people will aim for, however. 

I sit directly in front of any monitor I use, so at 27” - viewing angles just don’t matter since I’ll always be dead centre. 

If you’re looking / watching / playing off centre, then I can appreciate viewing angles my be an issue or concern, but then cheaper IPS panels have back light bleed which is horrible too. 

Thanks to anyone for the responses! For now I´m between the ASUS TUF VG27AQ and the LG 27GL850-B. I´m watching reviews of both and I think they´re both good options. The gigabyte is almost 80 bucks more, and I don´t think It is a justified overprice. I´ll probably choose according to avaibility since the Asus is not available in Amazon (I must check where I could buy it, usually get monitors in amazon due to thei return politic so I can avoid IPS bleeding and similar problems).

Since nobody is talking about ultrawides I suppose that they´re not worth? Last question is if there is any upcoming monitor I should check like the Samsung G7, I can wait if that is the case.

Thanks again!

26 minutes ago, ChopNorris said:

Thanks to anyone for the responses! For now I´m between the ASUS TUF VG27AQ and the LG 27GL850-B

You can't go wrong with either one.

31 minutes ago, ChopNorris said:

Since nobody is talking about ultrawides I suppose that they´re not worth?

They tend to be more expensive, need more GPU power and some games, especially older ones, might not support the aspect ratio. They do give you more space to work with if you do lots of multi-tasking with your computer and some people love them for gaming also. There is an article about them in rtings, and you can tag their resolutions on the table tool I provided in the first post, or add an aspect ratio as an filter.

36 minutes ago, ChopNorris said:

Last question is if there is any upcoming monitor I should check like the Samsung G7, I can wait if that is the case.

You might need to wait for months before any reputable source has time to review them, at which point new monitors will be coming out soon and you're back to the square one.

So it's up to you if you want to wait and see how fast the reviews come out.

Note that Asus tuf is 8bit and LG 10bit (8+2frc) I was leaning towards aorus, but LG is way cheaper and supposedly better for a few reasons