Going from 32bit tto 64bit windows 10

alwright

Hello, I wanted to know if anyone could help me get from a 32 bit version of windows 10 to a 64 bit version. My processor is 64 bit capable, the problem is I can't seem to be able tov boot my computer from the bootable USB. My computer is an ASUS T200-TA.

Thank you

Is there a specific reason you want to move to 64 bit Windows? ASUS' Transformer Books aren't exactly speedy, and most x64 only apps aren't going to run well.

As for booting to the USB drive, there's probably a setting in the BIOS. It might have USB boot disabled, or you might just need to change around the boot order or use a one time boot menu.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Well, there are some apps I am trying to run, but they only support 64 bit. I don't know if it'll be slower but at the moment it's really fast (I think it's using an SSD or an M.2). Do you think I should stay on 32 bit. Also, in the BIOS, secure boot is enabled and I can't seem to disable it, so I can't boot from a USB. When I but "boot from USB" the screen goes black and then it boots from my normal drive.

Seems some can do it...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Seems some can do it...

It doesn't work on mine. It's not the same model

Nothing you have mentioned should prevent you from installing Windows 10 X64. Chances are there is an issue with the USB and its not booting properly.

Boot in to Windows, plug in the USB drive, download Microsofts Media Creation Tool, run it, when asked what version you want tick the box and choose X64 or Both (it will select X86 automatically since that's what version you're currently running), choose the USB drive from the list and click create then wait. Once its finished try booting from it again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Nothing you have mentioned should prevent you from installing Windows 10 X64. Chances are there is an issue with the USB and its not booting properly.

Boot in to Windows, plug in the USB drive, download Microsofts Media Creation Tool, run it, when asked what version you want tick the box and choose X64 or Both (it will select X86 automatically since that's what version you're currently running), choose the USB drive from the list and click create then wait. Once its finished try booting from it again.

The problem seems to be that I can't actually boot from a USB. Maybe my computer doesn't support that ? Because my USB works fine on other computers and desktops. Do you have any other ideas where the problem may come from ?

1 minute ago, alwright said:

The problem seems to be that I can't actually boot from a USB. Maybe my computer doesn't support that ? Because my USB works fine on other computers and desktops. Do you have any other ideas where the problem may come from ?

That device is from 2014, it will support USB booting. Even back then it was a standard feature on everything. In the video linked above it is shown to have USB devices in the Boot List.

The only other thing I can think of that might interfere is UEFI Vs Legacy Boot mode. If the USB was created to only boot in one mode it might not be showing in the boot list. If there's a CSM or Compatibility Support Module setting in BIOS then disable it or alternatively it might be called something like Windows Boot Mode or WHQL Boot Mode and in that case it should be enabled.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have laptop now that don't want to recognize my good, fast USB drive. But booting from older USB 2.0 one. Strange, but apparently possible.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

I have laptop now that don't want to recognize my good, fast USB drive. But booting from older USB 2.0 one. Strange, but apparently possible.

Yeah, I too have seen older devices refuse to boot from newer USB drives. Good shout.

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Well it's a USB 2.0 128GB 

1 hour ago, alwright said:

Well it's a USB 2.0 128GB 

A little big.

You can try different pendrive or, if you have CD/dvd, you can find bootable bootloader that helps computers boot from USB if they have no native support for that. I don't remember now name of that loader, but if you want (and have spare empty CD) I can find it.

UPDATE: PLOP Boot Manager

ISO somewhere inside zip. Or you can create it using bat. Then burn ISO to CD and boot from CD.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, alwright said:

Hello, I wanted to know if anyone could help me get from a 32 bit version of windows 10 to a 64 bit version. My processor is 64 bit capable, the problem is I can't seem to be able tov boot my computer from the bootable USB. My computer is an ASUS T200-TA.

Thank you

Keep in mind that 2GB of RAM in that model is the bare minimum for 64bit Windows 10. With eMMC storage too, that's going to thrash the pagefile. Unless you have a different spec?

On 7/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, TehDwonz said:

Keep in mind that 2GB of RAM in that model is the bare minimum for 64bit Windows 10. With eMMC storage too, that's going to thrash the pagefile. Unless you have a different spec?

Thanks for letting me know. In the end it seems like too much of a hassle but thank you very much!