Bandwidth cut with wired vs wireless

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Using wired when possible is the best

WIreless bandwidth is shared, so the less devices on wifi, the higher the speeds they get.

I have an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ as an access point from an ASUS RT87U (on 1Gbps fiber)

The access point needs to service;

1 gaming PC,

1 PS4,

1 Xbox,

2 phones,

3 laptops (not all at the same time of course)

Main gaming happens on the PC and the PS4 so those need the most stable connection. 

Was thinking of wiring one of the laptops/PS4 and the gaming PC to the router. The rest on wireless. 

Would this compromise the WiFi capabilities or would just using WIFI on all the devices be better? 

WIreless bandwidth is shared, so the less devices on wifi, the higher the speeds they get.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks. But if I put the wired in for the two devices. Would my WiFi be very affected? 

Just now, thefiretender said:

Thanks. But if I put the wired in for the two devices. Would my WiFi be very affected? 

it will make the wifi better to put those devices on wired as there will be less devices sharing the wifi

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

it will make the wifi better to put those devices on wired as there will be less devices sharing the wifi

Ok cool. So with even though the wired devices do take up more bandwidth, the WiFi output is still ok as it shares it with less devices. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, thefiretender said:

Ok cool. So with even though the wired devices do take up more bandwidth, the WiFi output is still ok as it shares it with less devices. Thanks. 

yea its pretty hard to use the full 1 gig of fibre, and even if that happened, a good router should have qos so other devices don't suffer.

BUt wifi is a shared medium, so only one device can talk at a time, so try to have as few of devices on wifi as you can to make wifi faster.