Audiophile cans for gaming ?

last_grimm

Hi,

On a quest to find best possible headsets in range of 200-300 USD for gaming on PS4. 

Past Experience - 

1. Tried Steelseries Arctis Pro + Gaming DAC - Returned 

2. Currently using Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm - Planning to return as the sound signature too bright for me. The high treble gives me fatigue & cracks a high volumes. 

Amp/DAC - Most likely planning to get Soundblaster G6 as it is compatible for PS4. 

What should I buy next ? 

1. Need immersive gaming experience. Like nice tight bass. 

2. 30% competitive & 70% single player gaming. 

3. No music. 

Many thanks.  

Try the Shure SHR-940 and Audio-Technica ATH-990Z. Both excellent and a bit more neutral/less warm than the DT990s IME.

There's also the AKG K550 range which are extremely neutral. I use my K550s for gaming when I don't want to wake my wife or baby and they do an excellent reproduction every bit as detailed as my much more expensive speaker setup.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

HD600's?  The HD6xx is about 220 on Drop.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

9 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Try the Shure SHR-940 and Audio-Technica ATH-990Z. Both excellent and a bit more neutral/less warm than the DT990s IME.

There's also the AKG K550 range which are extremely neutral. I use my K550s for gaming when I don't want to wake my wife or baby and they do an excellent reproduction every bit as detailed as my much more expensive speaker setup.

How about the AKG 712K pro ? Getting them for some 250 USD here in Sweden. 

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

HD600's?  The HD6xx is about 220 on Drop.

I have been cautious of ordering from drop as they don't have branch in Europe anymore. Needs to be shipped from US & they charge extra for shipping + return is a hassle. 

Hence if possible I would prefer to order from Sweden (or Germany) so easy return can be done in case I don't like the sound signature. 

2 minutes ago, last_grimm said:

How about the AKG 712K pro ? Getting them for some 250 USD here in Sweden. 

From memory, the K712s are quite treble heavy and bright, but I've not heard them in a good while.

The HD600s are a good shout though.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

Just now, last_grimm said:

I have been cautious of ordering from drop as they don't have branch in Europe anymore. Needs to be shipped from US & they charge extra for shipping + return is a hassle. 

Hence if possible I would prefer to order from Sweden (or Germany) so easy return can be done in case I don't like the sound signature. 

I ordered mine from South East Asia and received my PC37X pretty pristine.  Shipped from the US too.  Understandable you have qualms however.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

45 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

From memory, the K712s are quite treble heavy and bright, but I've not heard them in a good while.

The HD600s are a good shout though.

Getting HD600 for some 350 USD here. 

The only factor making me lean towards the K712 is the wide soundstage. 

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

I ordered mine from South East Asia and received my PC37X pretty pristine.  Shipped from the US too.  Understandable you have qualms however.

PC37X seems pretty solid. Any other recommendation ?

How much are the Monoprice Monoliths where you are?

32 minutes ago, last_grimm said:

Found these options

M1060 and M1070 are the ones I was thinking of

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Also the G6 Is a really good dac for ps4. 

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

5 hours ago, last_grimm said:

Hi,

On a quest to find best possible headsets in range of 200-300 USD for gaming on PS4. 

Past Experience - 

1. Tried Steelseries Arctis Pro + Gaming DAC - Returned 

2. Currently using Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm - Planning to return as the sound signature too bright for me. The high treble gives me fatigue & cracks a high volumes. 

Amp/DAC - Most likely planning to get Soundblaster G6 as it is compatible for PS4. 

What should I buy next ? 

1. Need immersive gaming experience. Like nice tight bass. 

2. 30% competitive & 70% single player gaming. 

3. No music. 

Many thanks.  

for your requirements I would say take a look at the beyerdynamic tygr. they are like a dt 990 with much tighter bass and tuned to calm the treble down a lot so its a more pleasant headphone than the 990. another option would the he 4xx or even better the new redesigned  he 400i I love this headphone for single player games awesome layering and super tight bass and very impressive layering really immersive. another option would also be the hd 58x or 599 both perform about the same what you prefer is about preference. 

20 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Are you swedish? If so order these. https://www.komplett.se/product/499134/tv-ljud-bild/horlurar/horlur/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-horlurar?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6PD3BRDPARIsAN8pHuF6F3VDOK4Vi0f3VfraylHlixsJvAe9_LV_WEGLkWFK_0D480ao7WAaAkI9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The dt 770 pro 80ohm aren't as bright as the 990s but still got a big soundstage and good imaging. The 80ohm version isn't as hard to drive and they got more bass. They are light and extremely comfortable.

Hey, I live in Stockholm, not a Swede though. Where you at ?

I was eyeing the 770/880, but got scared of high treble as the drivers are same as the 990 on 770/880. 

2 minutes ago, last_grimm said:

I was eyeing the 770/880, but got scared of high treble as the drivers are same as the 990 on 770/880. 

Yeah I get that. Although the sound signature is different since the cans are closed on the DT 770s. When the cans are closed means that the low frequencies stay in and the high treble sounds often fade away.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

3 hours ago, last_grimm said:

if you want to stick to beyerdynamic I would try to find a pair of beyerdynamic tygr they are tuned to minimise the amount of treble it has and is overall a pretty pleasant headphone. 

22 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Yeah I get that. Although the sound signature is different since the cans are closed on the DT 770s. When the cans are closed means that the low frequencies stay in and the high treble sounds often fade away.

Yeah, ,maybe I can try them as well. Anyways with Komplett you get easy 60 days free return. 

18 hours ago, rice guru said:

if you want to stick to beyerdynamic I would try to find a pair of beyerdynamic tygr they are tuned to minimise the amount of treble it has and is overall a pretty pleasant headphone. 

Not love for Beyer, open to sleep with other brands :) 

Regarding the tygr, I have heard all great things, but for some reason they are selling it as a bundle only here in Sweden. You gotta spend USD 400 or so. 

6 minutes ago, last_grimm said:

Regarding the tygr, I have heard all great things, but for some reason they are selling it as a bundle only here in Sweden. You gotta spend USD 400 or so. 

Yeah that is kinda shit tbh. You could grab a sennheiser headphone since they are pretty flat sounding and pair it with the G6

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

9 minutes ago, last_grimm said:

You can always EQ them if the bass is too low for you.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

2 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

You can always EQ them if the bass is too low for you.

Yeah, let me get the G6 & try to EQ. Maybe the 990 also improves when paired with G6. Thanks mate. 

The hd 58s is within your budget.  About $200 euros to import from what remember through the new user coupon