Why did my Windows 7 Proffesionel 64 bit install Microsoft Edge?

dimaris727

It was last night when i was about to go to sleep, apparently my Windows 7 had to do an update so i was like ok. I let it do the update and then shut off. I woke up and booted up my pc 20 minutes ago after reading this. It magically had Microsoft Edge! Now i didn't read the update notes but i never heard about microsoft moving microsoft edge to Windows 7. Did they ever mention it or what cause im not sure.

Edge's switch to the Chromium engine added Windows 7 support

🙂

Micorosf tEdge is being rolled out via Windows Update, so this is normal behavior. 

She/Her

That's pretty cool. I should read the notes next time i ask a silly question but thanks. Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, dimaris727 said:

That's pretty cool. I should read the notes next time i ask a silly question but thanks. Much appreciated!

It is not a silly question. IE has been discontinued for ages, old Edge in Windows 10 has also been deprecated for over a year. No updates are done to it either.

Microsoft needs a default web browser to replace them, that is actually good. This is where the new Edge web browser comes in. Chromium based (so, it is like Chrome (same engine and all) but uses Microsoft services instead of Google, and has Microsoft own tweaks and improvements. Including the needed DRM and Codec for 1080p and 4K Netflix support, which Google and Mozilla refuses to get (costs money)). The new Edge web browser is also available on Android and iOS. And, lastly, being Chromium based, all extentions of Chrome works on Edge. In fact you can go on Google Chrome extension web site and download/install any of them from Edge, they are that similar.

But anyway, as it is the supported platform, even if the web browser doesn't take off, Microsoft can keep it secure and updated with ease, thanks to Chromium advancing, and users are protected. A smart move in my opinion.