PC randomly freezes and restarts, probably a PSU or GPU issue?

Following situation: My computer crashes and restarts without any warning or error messages and occasionally freezes when doing anything more resource-intensive than Minecraft. 

Setup: Motherboard - asrock 990fx extreme3

cpu: amd fx 8120

gpu: Geforce gtx 460

Win 10

psu: silenzio power lpk16-35 (600W)

250Gb ssd, 500Gb hdd

ram: Corsair xms3 ddr3 2x8Gb 1600MHz

The pc was used when i got it and had an hdd failure, but the ssd is new and the hdd is an old but functioning one. I got the gtx460 from a friend, it was working fine in his system.

I have monitored the temps with multiple programs, they are totally fine. During the freezes, task manager shows that the cpu goes from high usage percentages down to 50%; the freezes also occur more often when doing more resource-intense stuff. I have an old amd firepro v4900 gpu laying around, there were no restart problems when using that one, but it doesn´t consume nearly as much power, it doesn´t need extra connectors and is passively cooled. Due to the lack of 2 6pin connectors for the gtx 460 i did some weird wiring with adapters to get it powered. When running FurMark, the pc crashes after 5-20 seconds, games usually take a little longer. (Watch Dogs 2 1min, Civ6 5min, dauntless 30sec). When testing for drive failure i encountered some bad errors pointing to sector failure from the hdd, but theres barely anything on that drive and i also tested the system with only the ssd, same results. The event viewer says that the computer wasn´t shut down correct but doesn´t tell why.

What i already tried:

reapplying thermal paste, no effect

testing ram (memtest86), noissues

windows diagnosis tool, no issues found

Testing for drive failures, some bad sectors on the hdd

testing with other gpu, restart porblem gone.

So the question is: do i have to get a new psu? or is the gtx460 bad?

I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes, i am german.

What parts of your system are different than when it was working?  Just because those parts are mechanically functional doesn’t mean there’s no software interface problem between them and the hardware.

Try updating bioses and drivers maybe? One at a time or you won’t find out which one causes a problem and may create a different one without knowing it

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I only changed the GPU. I also have searched for drivers and bios updates but I had problems finding the right ones. So I just focused on the hardware testing first. Maybe I should investigate more there. Thanks for the response^^

400 series gpus are power hungry. That power supply absolutely needs to be replaced with a good 550-600w unit with all necessary connections. Most likely it's the power supply. 

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

Well Google say the gtx460 consumes 181 watts at max. that should theoretically be doable for the Psu...

1 minute ago, CheckTec said:

Well Google say the gtx460 consumes 181 watts at max. that should theoretically be doable for the Psu...

That is doable for the new psu. Yours is old I assume.

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

Remember power supplies will degrade a little bit over time, and even when new should not be run at the limit of their range, so even if it should be doable you always want to have a bit extra for error between reported output and actual output. Those graphics cards were good but they were power hungry. I've also heard of a similar issue being the result of a bad motherboard but I would test the power supply first by swapping for a more powerful one.

I could get a 450 w one for free but it seems like that wont be enough... So I have to get a new one hm? 

8 minutes ago, CheckTec said:

I could get a 450 w one for free but it seems like that wont be enough... So I have to get a new one hm? 

Yes, a new one is in order. Not just any brand. A good unit from Seasonic, EVGA. No rosewill, raidmax coolmoon or any other cheapshit chinese units.

There is the PSU tierlist

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, CheckTec said:

Thanks for the help guys^^ I´m gonna order a new psu now ^^

Microcenter has always had the best deals when I've been shopping, their 'house brand' powerspec it's probably the cheapest I would ever go on a power supply. I actually prefer EVGA or Corsair though.