Thoughts on this upgrade?

IAmAndre

Hi,

So I'm currently using a Logitech K310 keyboard with a Triathlon mouse. I want to upgrade both of them with an MX Keys and a G604 and I want to know if it's the best choice.

Budget-wise, I can't spend more than that so any recommendation must be either similarly priced or cheaper.

I type a lot all day because of my work so I would want something allowing me to type faster and with as little pressure as possible on my knuckles. I don't care much about aesthetics but I do like this keyboard's design, lightening, and features. I have seen some mechanical keyboards but many of them are more expensive and since I have no experience with these, I can't if they would fit my use cases. As far as I can see, $100 is considered cheap for a mechanical keyboard.

As for the mouse, I picked this one over the MX Master because of the extra buttons. I like macros. I also can't live without the free scrolling wheel and apparently Logitech is the only manufacturer offering this.

So what are your thoughts on this? Let me know if there are better choices out there.

Thanks

i think for that price point and wanting a low profile keyboard, what you have is probably the best possible option for you

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

26 minutes ago, rapidkillerx said:

i think for that price point and wanting a low profile keyboard, what you have is probably the best possible option for you

I wouldn't mind having higher keys as long as the typing experience is optional.

One more concern I have is maintenance because my current keyboard is waterproof so easy to clean.

as a previous user of the g602, i must say the extra buttons are really helpful if you like a mouse with a lot of macros, but not a full keyboard of side buttons.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

It sounds like you are trying to make your setup more ergonomic and minimize stress on yourself.

Personally the biggest improvements to my setup were going to a 60 percent keyboard so that my mouse is in a more natural position on the desk.

I still use a numpad, but it it located above my mouse. Changing your layout will change the comfort level alot.

As for mouse and keyboard they are so subjective. I have the g604 right now. Personally I think it is too tall and the side buttons are uncomfortable. I constantly hit them with my thumb. Your experience will vary. Go try it out.

For keyboards chiclet style keyboards like the mx keys are probably my least favorite style. Some people like them totally subjective. Personally I would look for a solid budget mechanical keyboard.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

Personally the biggest improvements to my setup were going to a 60 percent keyboard so that my mouse is in a more natural position on the desk.

I still use a numpad, but it it located above my mouse. Changing your layout will change the comfort level alot

That's an interesting idea. I use the numpad quite a lot though so I'd rather not experiment with that for now.

As for mouse and keyboard they are so subjective. I have the g604 right now. Personally I think it is too tall and the side buttons are uncomfortable. I constantly hit them with my thumb. Your experience will vary. Go try it out.

Do you have small hands? I have a Triathlon and I think it's too small although my hands aren't particularly large. However I like to have a firm grip and I like macros of course.

For keyboards chiclet style keyboards like the mx keys are probably my least favorite style. Some people like them totally subjective. Personally I would look for a solid budget mechanical keyboard.

I'm open to anything. However since I'll be importing these, I won't be able to try first and I don't have any experience with mechanical keyboards. However I'm very familiar with laptop keyboards so I can more easily guess the feeling of the MX Keys. Do you have any mechanical keyboard recommendations for fast typing and potentially less typos? I don't care about the noise but I wouldn't be against some RGB.

For me it is less of a size issue and more that the height of the g604 puts my wrist at a weird angle. I find the triathlon much more comfortable. The g604 was in stock when I needed it and I dont have much bad to say about it other than it is too tall for me, and the software is a royal pain to save your settings to the on board memory.

For keyboard consider ordering a switch sampler and see what you like. If I reccomend a keyboard its gonna be something hotswappable with tactile switches because that is my preference. Maybe look at the gmmk or the kemove shadow. Both should be available for under 100. Dont end up liking the switches you chose, you can change them later pretty inexpensively. 

For a numpad I am using a wireless mechanical numpad. It isnt anything special, but it works well, and can be placed out of the way when not in use.

Really it is going to come down to trying a few things out. Some will work for you and others wont.

36 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

For me it is less of a size issue and more that the height of the g604 puts my wrist at a weird angle. I find the triathlon much more comfortable. The g604 was in stock when I needed it and I dont have much bad to say about it other than it is too tall for me, and the software is a royal pain to save your settings to the on board memory.

For keyboard consider ordering a switch sampler and see what you like. If I reccomend a keyboard its gonna be something hotswappable with tactile switches because that is my preference. Maybe look at the gmmk or the kemove shadow. Both should be available for under 100. Dont end up liking the switches you chose, you can change them later pretty inexpensively. 

For a numpad I am using a wireless mechanical numpad. It isnt anything special, but it works well, and can be placed out of the way when not in use.

Really it is going to come down to trying a few things out. Some will work for you and others wont.

OK I'm considering getting a switch sampler now. As for the mouse, I have a claw group and kinda large hands so I have almost no contact with the triathlon.