GPU upgrade: 1660 super or 2070 super now that the 30xx series is coming?

SmokeHHH

Hello everyone!

My current PC setup runs a ASUS Radeon™ R7 240, 2GB DDR3, 128-bit which is, to say the least, really old. I have decided to build myself a new PC.

Initially I decided getting a RTX 2070S but almost every video and thread said that it is better to wait for Nvidia's 30XX series. I still kinda need a PC for 1080p gaming.

My question to you guys is: Should I get a gtx1660 super for now and upgrade it 1 or 2 years later with one of the newer models(maybe they get super versions by that time too), or just get the 2070 super and sell it later for whatever cards are available at that time?

Thanks for the help! This forum has been amazing to say the least when it comes to helping people!

Ideally you'd want to wait, but with a 240 it's understandable that you'd want an upgrade now.

Maybe get a 1650 Super or RX 580 now? I wouldn't expect RTX 2000 series cards to have that great of a resell value once Ampere releases, if we're to go by the rumours.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Maybe get a 1650 Super or RX 580 now

Get a used 570 or a 580 for 100 bucks or so and then wait for ampere or big Navi 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Ideally you'd want to wait, but with a 240 it's understandable that you'd want an upgrade now.

Maybe get a 1650 Super or RX 580 now? I wouldn't expect RTX 2000 series cards to have that great of a resell value once Ampere releases, if we're to go by the rumours.

Exactly what I heard too. It is said that Ampere will likely destroy the RTX cards in performance(they weren't much to begin with tho), meaning that the prices they have now(inflated too because of the whole corona thing) will drop really low when it comes to resell. That is what scares me. I will look into the 1650 super.

Thanks for the reply.

If you can't wait for next gen I would get the cheapest used card that gets you playing what you want at acceptable framerates. Then when the next gen launches you can make your choice.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.