How high can you compute pi?

Nallown

I'm about a minute and abit in, 15k decimal places.

Anyway you can edit it and add multi threaded support, it's only using 8% of my CPU.

3 minutes in, 26k places.

Each calculation relies on the one before it, it can't be done parallelry.

Though using only 8% is weird...maybe try setting the priority in task manager?

Each calculation relies on the one before it, it can't be done parallelry.

Though using only 8% is weird...maybe try setting the priority in task manager?

Ah okay, I didn't think about THAT factor, lol.

No, 4960x ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Open Command Window Here is not showing up what should i do ?

I was going to let it run over night but nvm

triple post much

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

triple post much

Yes, my OCD is killing me right now  :wacko:  :(

After the first 30,000 it slows down quite a bit.

Yes, my OCD is killing me right now :wacko: :(

Use the edit button if you are going to post so close together. It helps keep things organized

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Hey guys I just created this Java code which computes pi up to unlimited digits and I thought, lets put this to the test and find it's limit.

So basically the idea is to see how high your computer can compute pi, I tried keeping the source as light weight as possible and since I created it on a old crappy laptop while I was on the train this should mean that anyone can run it with no issues.

So here's the source and have fun with it :)

-code-

The final results of pi computed is outputted in your user folder (c:\users\your user), people running linux would know where their final outputted file would be found.

Keep in mind that the console mentions how many decimal places it has found but the final outputted file has all digits from 3.1 to the final computed digit.

file is called output.pi and also the results found inside of it are computed in realtime. So in theory you can use watch in linux to watch it change in realtime and also if your computer crashes then the final results should show your pc's limits since before continuing on to the next digit it would output it into the file.

Don't forget to post your final results and how long you've been running it for ;)

Edit: Added instructions and java file for people who don't know how to program 

!Important read if you don't know how to program or got no programming experience!

To run follow these steps otherwise it'll be running invisibly in the background which is no issue because it only uses 8mb ram but still

1. Download this file
  2. Shift right click the folder (or desktop) where you saved the file
  3. Choose " Open command window here "
  4. type in " java -jar computePi.jar "
  5. And go!!!!

If you accidentally double click it then just force close java through task manager when you want to close it or otherwise if you run it with my instructions then simply close the command window

Why not set the mainclass in the manifest so people can just double click it?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

Hey guys,

I was bored, and was wondering how accurate this calculator is. 

So, I made a little program that will check it against a 1,000,000 digit version of pi that "is" accurate. Source code here.

You will need to run this as admin (it downloads the 1,000,000 digit pi txt file when you run it, and saves to c:\, which requires admin). It is currently set-up to only test the first 300,000 digits, which takes a little under a minute (atleast in my test) to run. I could make it longer if people want it.

You also need to rename your output.pi file to .txt for this to work.

Here's the actual file.

Download

P.S. Yes, this very well could be a malicious file, but seeing as I like this community, and have spent alot of my time in it, I wouldn't want to be banned from it ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Why not set the mainclass in the manifest so people can just double click it?

I wasn't planning on making this official, I just wanted to publish the source I created so people can use it and customize it to their likings. I didn't target non programmers but I did add steps for non programmers so they could still run the original source aswell.

Hey guys,

I was bored, and was wondering how accurate this calculator is. 

So, I made a little program that will check it against a 1,000,000 digit version of pi that "is" accurate. Source code here.

You will need to run this as admin (it downloads the 1,000,000 digit pi txt file when you run it, and saves to c:\, which requires admin). It is currently set-up to only test the first 300,000 digits, which takes a little under a minute (atleast in my test) to run. I could make it longer if people want it.

You also need to rename your output.pi file to .txt for this to work.

Here's the actual file.

Download

P.S. Yes, this very well could be a malicious file, but seeing as I like this community, and have spent alot of my time in it, I wouldn't want to be banned from it ;)

Ewwww, vb.net emoticon-00119-puke.gif More like vb.shat! ha! That's a good one.

Lol nice script though, did you have a look at the pi database? It has up to 12 trillion digits of pi and as far as I know that's the world record.

Ewwww, vb.net emoticon-00119-puke.gif More like vb.shat! ha! That's a good one.

Lol nice script though, did you have a look at the pi database? It has up to 12 trillion digits of pi and as far as I know that's the world record.

Lol, sadly, I'm not as fluid in any other language, and making UIs can be annoying.

I haven't seen that, my only issue with that is that it has to download the file (unless I included it in the setup, but then the setup would be huge) and they seem alot larger than the 1,000,000 digit one. Also, seeing as 300,000 char seems to take a little under a minute, 12 trillion would take forever :P

15" MBP TB

I ran it on my shit work laptop.... it decided to take off and become a helicopter in about 5 minutes of running it (lol) 

Will post results once I get access to my main rig (specified in my signature) and I'll run it at least for a solid day (for the lolz) 

EDIT: 5 minutes is a lie, closer to 20 seconds 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

in just under a minute i managed to do 10k.....

It slows down over time though, you probably noticed that by now though

hmm, i might try to make a python script that does this and outputs the numbers onto a screen. And then run it 24/7 on a raspberry pi... that could be fun to watch for a short period of time.

hmm, i might try to make a python script that does this and outputs the numbers onto a screen. And then run it 24/7 on a raspberry pi... that could be fun to watch for a short period of time.

It wouldn't be hard to do so just use the same algorithm I used which is the spigot algorithm but please don't bother beating the world record, the world record is 15 trillion digits so good luck trying to beat that.

It wouldn't be hard to do so just use the same algorithm I used which is the spigot algorithm but please don't bother beating the world record, the world record is 15 trillion digits so good luck trying to beat that.

Thanks for the tips about the algorithm. And my god 15 trillion digits :o thats a lot...