I'm Having Problems Building My PC

EDIT: I returned the PSU and got a Corsair CX550 as a replacement. The system now works fine :) Thanks to everyone for the help!

Hello!

I've recently decided to build a PC; something that I've been meaning to do for years. I'm going for something pretty budget, and I've been buying parts slowly and somewhat spaced out. My CPU came today, and as I already had my motherboard, PSU, RAM, and case, I decided I would begin to put some things together. I began my standard build and finished (at least I think) everything that I can do for now. I still need a GPU, SSD/HDD, and a copy of Windows. After I put everything together, I went to see if at least the fans would turn on in some attempt to test if I had done everything correctly so far. I plugged in my PSU (430w) and tried turning on the computer. Nothing happened, so I tried again, resulting in my breaker popping (my window air conditioner was also running at the time, which explains part of that). I was stumped. I went back and checked all the plug and front control panel pins and it was all done correctly from what I can see. Will the computer not turn on unless all the components are installed? I was thinking that maybe it could also be a problem with the PSU, but I don't think it is- does anyone have an idea of what the issue could be?

Here's a spec list:

Parts I've Installed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX

PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series 430 W

Parts I Still Need

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WZcJ9G )

I've attached some photos- here is an Imgur link as well:

https://imgur.com/a/kdJPrVh

Thanks so much!

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

Edited by NekoTeagan

23 minutes ago, NekoTeagan said:

@gloop Is there a reason why?

There’s plenty of wattage, it’s just that the psu itself is a bad unit. 

also if you are going for budget get a 1660 super or 1660 ti as a graphics and i definetly agree you should get a corsair cx550, or cv450 at least.  But be sure to check how much wattage you need but a cv450 is good for a majority of systems around 1500 dollars. although your system does not appear to be too budget, i might suggest you get a used 2060 or 2070 as a graphics card and use any money you save by buying used and get more ram. @NekoTeagan 

@NekoTeagan  you have to return the motherboard or cpu now.  Your motherboard is to old for your cpu and you have to do a bios update on that motherboard for it to work.  Doing a bios update on that motherboard is a huge pain in the ass. You would have to get a new amd system with an older processor to update that motherboard and even if you have a spare previous generation to the processor you have system it is still a huge pain in the ass.  Also i see you just went to pcpartpicker.com and just sorted the part either by budget or with the first result, that is fine to get a rough idea of the system your getting but actually buying it like that will make you end up with a randomly misspecked system.  If you dont believe me about the motherboard update requirement you can just google it.  Also on pcpartpicker there is a giant red incompatibility warning that you might have ignored but i hope you can return that motherboard and get a newer one or return that cpu and get an older one.  Sorry i could not have warned you about this before i just realized the problem.  If you have any questions you can message me or replie to this post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, big oof 1 said:

@NekoTeagan  you have to return the motherboard or cpu now.  Your motherboard is to old for your cpu and you have to do a bios update on that motherboard for it to work.  Doing a bios update on that motherboard is a huge pain in the ass. You would have to get a new amd system with an older processor to update that motherboard and even if you have a spare previous generation to the processor you have system it is still a huge pain in the ass.  Also i see you just went to pcpartpicker.com and just sorted the part either by budget or with the first result, that is fine to get a rough idea of the system your getting but actually buying it like that will make you end up with a randomly misspecked system.  If you dont believe me about the motherboard update requirement you can just google it.  Also on pcpartpicker there is a giant red incompatibility warning that you might have ignored but i hope you can return that motherboard and get a newer one or return that cpu and get an older one.  Sorry i could not have warned you about this before i just realized the problem.  If you have any questions you can message me or replie to this post.

Hello, sorry for the late response! I've looked into the MOBO compatibility (I did happen to see the warning on the site) and the two are compatible. It's specified on the MOBO box that it is desktop ready with AMD Ryzen 3000 series chips as well as compatible with 1000 and 2000.