Updated to Feature Update Version 2004 and my PC is stuttering hard

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

You should be able to roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > "Go back to the Previous version of Windows 10"

Anyone here having issues with the update version 2004? Particularly stuttering on a constant interval (the audio even stutters hard that everything sounds gibberish)? It's unusable on my end and I've been trying to identify by process of elimination what could've caused it. I've reverted twice now and on both scenarios, the stuttering stopped. Specs on my signature/profile if that helps.

I was pretty excited with WSL 2 coming to Windows. I use Docker and it was really fast but the constant stuttering just makes the pc unusable. I guess I'll live with my linux containers on Hyper-V for now until there's a solution to this.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

my general checklist for issues after a build update:

- make sure there's no updates still pending

- uninstall and reinstall GPU driver

- open cmd as admin and run "sfc /scannow" -- if that finds stuff, reboot and run it again until it doesnt, if it finds stuff it cant fix run "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

- run disk cleanup, for good measure

and depending on the flavour of shitty audio driver your board needs, it may be interesting to reinstall that as well.. partiularly true for laptops with conexant audio drivers..

EDIT: oh, and bios update for good measure..

Lots of reported issues with 2004 update, Jerry (Barnacules Nerdgasm on the youtubes) was talking about them around the 20 minute mark of the last tech talk

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I honestly do not understand why people are in such a rush to do these updates.  I have them deferred for 75 days so that MSFT can work out all the bugs.  I'm staying on 1909 until the dust settles and there are reports of 2004 stability.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

8 hours ago, ZeferiniX said:

Anyone here having issues with the update version 2004? Particularly stuttering on a constant interval (the audio even stutters hard that everything sounds gibberish)? It's unusable on my end and I've been trying to identify by process of elimination what could've caused it. I've reverted twice now and on both scenarios, the stuttering stopped. Specs on my signature/profile if that helps.

I was pretty excited with WSL 2 coming to Windows. I use Docker and it was really fast but the constant stuttering just makes the pc unusable. I guess I'll live with my linux containers on Hyper-V for now until there's a solution to this.

Did you try downloading the latest sound chip drivers and GPU drivers, then uninstalling your graphics card drivers in full, then sound chip. Then install them both. In the case of Nvidia GPUs, check the box under Advanced/Expert that says to do a clean install.

Restart and see if your problem is fixed

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Did you try downloading the latest sound chip drivers and GPU drivers, then uninstalling your graphics card drivers in full, then sound chip. Then install them both. In the case of Nvidia GPUs, check the box under Advanced/Expert that says to do a clean install.

Restart and see if your problem is fixed

Yes I did both since those were my suspects initially as well but it didn't fix the problem either.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:31 AM, manikyath said:

my general checklist for issues after a build update:

- make sure there's no updates still pending

- uninstall and reinstall GPU driver

- open cmd as admin and run "sfc /scannow" -- if that finds stuff, reboot and run it again until it doesnt, if it finds stuff it cant fix run "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

- run disk cleanup, for good measure

and depending on the flavour of shitty audio driver your board needs, it may be interesting to reinstall that as well.. partiularly true for laptops with conexant audio drivers..

EDIT: oh, and bios update for good measure..

No luck.

It's the whole system that is stuttering by the way in case that wasn't clear. Guess I'll just wait until it stabilizes.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You should be able to roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > "Go back to the Previous version of Windows 10"

Yep, this is what I did when I described reverting it fixed the stutter issues but I'll mark that as answer for posterity since that is what ultimately solved the issue.

Thanks everyone!