Slow Transfer Speeds, Despite Decent Hardware

bcredeur97

Hello there, im pretty new to the forum this is like my 3rd post I think, i may be wrong, but anyway, I have discovered a bit of a problem with my home networking solution. In my gaming PC, I have 2 802.11n 150mbps (yes thats bits NOT bytes) wifi cards. For my router, well I actually have two, One of which is an Apple TIme Capsule (latest generation, Wireless N, gigabit ethernet ports) and the other is a Buffalo WZR-600DHP, which is a pretty awesome router with DD_WRT and all those bells and whistles. On the Time capsule, I have a person in my home who uses it to back up their Mac, but I use it myself as a local storage server. The Time capsule and Buffalo router are linked together via CAT 5e Ethernet cable and the CAT 5 cable for my internet connection goes from my modem to my buffalo router, into its umm.. i think it would be called the "uplink" port. Both of my PC's wifi cards have a strong signal usually 85-100% strength.

Now that I've explained to you my setup, let me get on to the problem. Despite having a minimum of 150 mbps of bandwidth, Im only getting 5 MBps (I think thats about 40 mbps) of file transfer speeds to and from the time capsule and my PC. This makes absolutely no sense to me and I would really love if you guys could help me with this, I'm tired of waiting around so long for FIle transfers.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

150Mb/s wifi is only maximum theoretical. WiFi has a ton overhead so 40Mb/s with 150Mb/s wifi is actually pretty good.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

That's insane though, because if you think about it, since I have 2 wifi cards each connected to a seperate router, shouldn't I get the theoretical 300 mbps speed?? I just tried disconnecting one card, and got the exact same speed, 40 Mbps. I should at least get 75-80mbps with 2 connections to the time capsule file server.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Let me draw up a diagram and see if I have this down right

uX1oQ6A.png

Does that look right to you?

Not a physical topology, but just logical topology

I agree with the previous posters, it does sound about right

In your OP didn't you say you only had one NIC in your PC? That negates the two WiFi cards thing

Unless you're trying to say that since you're the only one using that specific router, that it should be faster? In which case I would say, no, it's just an inherent trait of using WiFi

Are you sure no other devices are connected to the Buffalo? I ask this because if the router is set to hybrid mode (Both 802.11g and 802.11n) and a device which used 802.11g connected, then every other device would be required to use 802.11n's speed

Set the Buffalo to only use 802.11n

Also, change the bandwidth to 40Mhz if it isn't already, and change the channel to one that isn't being used in your area. This could rule out some interference issues if there are any

Let us know how any of this goes

no just because you have 2 wifi sources will not give you twice the speed because the WiFi antenna in your system only uses one at a time the other one just hangs out. if you want better speeds i might try hard wiring the system in when you want to transfer large amounts of data.  

Douchecanoe, your diagram is correct besides one thing: my two Wifi cards are connected to each of the hotspots, (one is connected to buffalo, the other to the time capsule) but according to 5222t I can't use both at the same time, so it would make sense to me in that case that I will not be able to get over 40 Mbps without a wired connection, unless I upgrade to AC of course. But thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate it!

Spoiler

well i thought that you were trying to use one receiver to a double source but anyway it will only use the second connection if the first card does not offer it like if your buffalo is the main connection but will not offer you apple router storage it will look for it on the other connection

sorry for the confusion i hope i have clarified it for you.