Office 2016 Ubuntu 18.04 (should also work on 20.04)

Hi, I am here to share how Office 2016 can be installed on Ubuntu 18.04LTS using PlayOnLinux (I tried on Kubuntu 18.04.4LTS, and elementaryOS 5.1.5). But the main reason I decided to post this here because I need help with PlayOnLinux scripting (which until now I still don't understand).

I have previously made a post about this on the PlayOnLinux forum (to no avail, but someone managed to get it installed based on my guide so I am happy xD).

Steps

1. Install PlayOnLinux (according to instructions on playonlinux.com for the latest version, which is needed for WINE 4.15) and required dependencies:-
     sudo apt-get install playonlinux winbind smbclient gnome-disk-utility wine-stable:i386

2. Using POL, install WINE version 4.15 (32-bit).
  3. Download Office 2016 from office.com (offline version was the only one that worked for me. The IMG contains both x86 and x64 installers).
  4. After downloading it, mount the IMG file using gnome-disk-utility.
  5. On POL, Click Configure > New to create a new drive
    • 32-bits Windows Installation
    • Wine Version 4.15
    • Name the drive as you like. I named it "Office2016"
  6. Select the new drive > Install Components. Install "msxml6" and "riched20"
  7. Select "Wine" tab > "Configure Wine"
  8. "Applications" > Windows version = Windows 7
  9. "Libraries" > set the following:-
    • riched20 (native, builtin)
    • msxml6 (native, builtin)
  10. Exit "configure wine", open "Registry Editor".
  11. Navigate to "HKCU\Software\Wine", and Right click on "Wine" > New > Key.
  12. Rename new key to "Direct2D".
  13. Right click on "Direct2D" > New > DWORD Value.
  14. Rename new DWORD to "max_factory_version".
  15. Ensure that "max_factory_version" is set to 0.
  16. Close the Registry Editor.
  17. On the configure window > Miscellaneous > "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive".
  18. Select the "setup.exe" that was in the IMG file that you mounted back in step 4.
  19. The installation should run normally, but the installation window will be half blank. If you have an indicator applet, the Office logo should pop up there. Else Wine should spawn a system tray for you. Click on this to spawn the progress  window in the bottom right.
  20. After installation completes, use the "kill all processes" in the POL configuration window.
  21. Create application shortcuts as needed (in the "General" tab).
  22. Copy "AppvIsvSubsystems32.dll" and "C2R32.dll" from <office2016-root>/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/ClickToRun/ to <office2016-root>/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/
  23. Start any of the Office applications. It will prompt that Office is not activated. DO NOT use the license key that came in the box of the Office 2016 -- it will not work.
  24. Instead, go back to office.com > My Account > Service & Subscriptions .
  25. Under the "Install" link there is a "Show Product Key" link. Clicking on it reveals a product key different from the one you have in the box. Use this license key to activate Office instead.
  26. Once done, Office will be activated and can be used.

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad S540, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U, RAM: 16GB, GPU: Vega 8, SSD: WD OEM 512GB, OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Keys: Logitech MX Keys, Mouse: Logitech G G304, Disp: Lenovo ThinkVision M14/HP m23f, Gamepads: DualShock 4, 8bitdo SN30 Pro, Consoles: NES

~ Tetris (NES) ~ Tetris Effect (PC) ~ Puyo Puyo Tetris 1/2 ~ Tetris (Android) ~ Crypt of the NecroDancer ~ Celeste ~ Roller Coaster Tycoon ~

I didn't think anyone still used play on linux, I just configure everything through lutris. Anyways what do you need from office that the latest libreoffice and the kontact suite doesn't offer? I personally use this setup for work with everyone on the receiving end using office 365, never had an issue.

-= Topic moved to Guides and Tutorials =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

57 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I didn't think anyone still used play on linux, I just configure everything through lutris. Anyways what do you need from office that the latest libreoffice and the kontact suite doesn't offer? I personally use this setup for work with everyone on the receiving end using office 365, never had an issue.

Nah, I just had a lot of issues with compatibility between Office documents and LibreOffice/Kontact (maybe it's some of the more complicated operations). The only one I have 0 issues thus far is the ONLYOFFICE suite, but the functionalities are limited. I'd rather use Office and not deal with compatibility issues and still have the full functionalities that Office offers. About Lutris -- I thought that is more geared towards gaming (correct me if I am wrong)?

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad S540, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U, RAM: 16GB, GPU: Vega 8, SSD: WD OEM 512GB, OS: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Keys: Logitech MX Keys, Mouse: Logitech G G304, Disp: Lenovo ThinkVision M14/HP m23f, Gamepads: DualShock 4, 8bitdo SN30 Pro, Consoles: NES

~ Tetris (NES) ~ Tetris Effect (PC) ~ Puyo Puyo Tetris 1/2 ~ Tetris (Android) ~ Crypt of the NecroDancer ~ Celeste ~ Roller Coaster Tycoon ~

4 hours ago, GlasierXplor said:

About Lutris -- I thought that is more geared towards gaming (correct me if I am wrong)?

It is, but at the end of the day its just a wine configuration layer.