semi budget graphics card that will last

nyereyn

Hey, I'm looking for a graphics card that will last for some years, and I'm also wondering if the graphics cards from the 16 series will last for some time cause I'm eyeing to buy one from that series, also if you have a suggestion for graphics that  has a small form factor and will also last for some time (I only almost play esports titles and somewhat old triple a games)

Specs ? 

Budget ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, nyereyn said:

Hey, I'm looking for a graphics card that will last for some years, and I'm also wondering if the graphics cards from the 16 series will last for some time cause I'm eyeing to buy one from that series, also if you have a suggestion for graphics that  has a small form factor and will also last for some time (I only almost play esports titles and some triple a games)

Predicting the future is hard.  I personally think (only think) that there isn’t anything on sale under $400 at this moment that has a decent chance of lasting more than 6 months.  I could be wrong.  It would be nice if I was.

the real problem is that “a few years” bit.  It’s more like 3 months or 5 years atm.

The issue is the new upcoming consoles.  They have very powerful graphics and the stuff available a couple years from now hasn’t been written yet.  Currently everything is before the drop and after the drop.  For before the drop (which is currently rumored to be the end of this year) you don’t even need a 16 series.  After the drop no one knows.  Or at least no one who is allowed to say.   The moves ive seen being done lately is to go big and buy something so powerful it can take on the consoles and win no matter what is thrown (expensive) or go very small and expect to have to buy something else very soon.  

This will be a lot easier to answer after the public gets a look at the new consoles.  Myself I went small.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Specs ? 

Budget ?

i3 7100 (about to upgrade to i5 7th gen)
8gb ddr4 ram 

my budget is around 175 to 180 dollars 

13 hours ago, nyereyn said:

Hey, I'm looking for a graphics card that will last for some years, and I'm also wondering if the graphics cards from the 16 series will last for some time cause I'm eyeing to buy one from that series, also if you have a suggestion for graphics that  has a small form factor and will also last for some time (I only almost play esports titles and somewhat old triple a games)

What you expect to play in the next years? What frames that you expect? Because we will have a huge change that would never was seeing before.

New consoles will have 8/16 modern CPU and GPU will be something that will vary from RTX2060 to RTX2080. So expect that everything lower will struggle hard when the firsts engines start to came out. It's hard to precise when, but it will. 

Changing subjects, you have a i3 7100 and that's a limiting factor. Upgrading to Core i5 will definitely helps, but anything above RX570 will bottleneck on modern games. If fact, even RX570 is bottlenecked by a i5 7xxx on some games. What I'm saying is: if you buy anything above RX570 and don't upgrade to a i7 or newer platform like Ryzen or new Intel CPU, you will have basicly the same frames since CPU will bottlenecked it.

20 minutes ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

What you expect to play in the next years? What frames that you expect? Because we will have a huge change that would never was seeing before.

New consoles will have 8/16 modern CPU and GPU will be something that will vary from RTX2060 to RTX2080. So expect that everything lower will struggle hard when the firsts engines start to came out. It's hard to precise when, but it will. 

Changing subjects, you have a i3 7100 and that's a limiting factor. Upgrading to Core i5 will definately helps, but anything above RX570 will bottleneck on modern games. Not always, but newer AAA games are demanding more 4/4. So this should be your limit if you don't planning to platform upgrade or i7 7700 (4/8 CPU is a must have for anything above RX570).

If you're planning to change in the next years, you can buy a 16 Series, but don't expect that it can last much longer than 2 years on AAA games. Things will change like never due the new consoles specs.

I expect to play some past games from the Assassin's Creed series and gta V, I will also play some esports titles (cs, lol, tekken), I expect for the ac games and gta V to be at 60 fps at 1920x1080 mid or high setting and as for the esports titles I expect 200+ frames on 1024x768 on low to mid settings. And btw do you have a recommendation for a gpu? is the 1650 good? (my knowledge on pc things is kinda low)

14 minutes ago, nyereyn said:

I expect to play some past games from the Assassin's Creed series and some esports titles (cs, lol, tekken), I expect for the ac games to be at 60 fps at 1920x1080 mid or high setting and as for the esports titles I expect 200+ frames on 1024x768 on low to mid settings 

1024x768 is a resolution that is very very very CPU demand, so keep in mind that GPU doesnt care much.

About Assassins. Let's talk about AC Odyssey. You will need at least a 4/8 modern CPU (AMD 3300x or Intel Core i3 10100) or i7 7700 as CPU and a GTX1660 Super.

Settings on Medium or High doesnt change much the frames on this game.

So expect the next AC will need more to make the same and so on.

For now, if you buy a 1660 Super, i3 will bottleneck very very very hard this game (waste of money). Expect 30~35FPS average. i5 7xxx will bottlenecked it less and you will have something about 45FPS with several drops here and there (not a complete waste, but bottleneck you prevent 1660 Super to reach 100% GPU Usage or get close). i7 you will probably will reach 100% GPU Usage most of the time on the game and will reach 60FPS.

7 hours ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

1024x768 is a resolution that is very very very CPU demand, so keep in mind that GPU doesnt care much.

About Assassins. Let's talk about AC Odyssey. You will need at least a 4/8 modern CPU (AMD 3300x or Intel Core i3 10100) or i7 7700 as CPU and a GTX1660 Super.

Settings on Medium or High doesnt change much the frames on this game.

So expect the next AC will need more to make the same and so on.

For now, if you buy a 1660 Super, i3 will bottleneck very very very hard this game (waste of money). Expect 30~35FPS average. i5 7xxx will bottlenecked it less and you will have something about 45FPS with several drops here and there (not a complete waste, but bottleneck you prevent 1660 Super to reach 100% GPU Usage or get close). i7 you will probably will reach 100% GPU Usage most of the time on the game and will reach 60FPS.

Like I said I will only play AC games from the past from 2012 and back (i.e. ac 1, ac 2, ac 3, and etc.), but thanks for the tip tho :))

23 hours ago, nyereyn said:

Generally, following a console launch, none of the existing cards will last unless they are top teir (look at the 600/700 series) because games are bottlenecked by the consoles. 

I have had my rx 480 since launch, and it is only now starting to stop running games at high settings on 1080p. The 480 is about 5-10% faster than a 290, AMDs flagship when they launched the consoles. I believe that in two years, I will be playing new AAA games on low/medium. 

So if you want a card that is truly futureproof, go for a 2070 super/5700 at least. 

However, after reading your comments, at the res and the games you play, a 1660ti/super would most likely last you 5+ years, assuming you dont care about the new tech that comes packed into the consoles like attracting and other things. 

Also, dont get an i5. If you care about futureproofing, you should get a 4c/8t cpu. If you can afford it, i would get a 6700 or 7700.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Deleted.  I didn’t read enough follow up comments.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I personally am still unsure if even a 4/8 will do it.  Time will tell though.

Meh, I dont see devs completely screwing over the budget pc community. Most people are still running 4 core cpus and while that definitely will change as time passes, youll probably be fine for a while. Look at what happened to dual core cpus. The first quad cores came out in the late 2000s and they could still game at a reasonable framerate until 2015, give or take a year or so. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

51 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Generally, following a console launch, none of the existing cards will last unless they are top teir (look at the 600/700 series) because games are bottlenecked by the consoles. 

I have had my rx 480 since launch, and it is only now starting to stop running games at high settings on 1080p. The 480 is about 5-10% faster than a 290, AMDs flagship when they launched the consoles. I believe that in two years, I will be playing new AAA games on low/medium. 

So if you want a card that is truly futureproof, go for a 2070 super/5700 at least. 

However, after reading your comments, at the res and the games you play, a 1660ti/super would most likely last you 5+ years, assuming you dont care about the new tech that comes packed into the consoles like attracting and other things. 

Also, dont get an i5. If you care about futureproofing, you should get a 4c/8t cpu. If you can afford it, i would get a 6700 or 7700.

can I get away with the 1650 super or the base 1650 or should I really invest on the 1660ti/super? (I don't know much about pc's)

4 hours ago, nyereyn said:

Like I said I will only play AC games from the past from 2012 and back (i.e. ac 1, ac 2, ac 3, and etc.), but thanks for the tip tho :))

Sorry, didn't read "past". Probably you will be fine with a new card, even keeping the same CPU, but it's hard to say about what will going on after 2021 or 2022 for this RIG. The future is not clear enough.

19 hours ago, rodrigoxm49 said:

Sorry, didn't read "past". Probably you will be fine with a new card, even keeping the same CPU, but it's hard to say about what will going on after 2021 or 2022 for this RIG. The future is not clear enough.

so what do you recommend?