im not happy with xbox controllers' dpads

zassou

Tech] Xbox One D-Pad issues: The root of the problem? : xboxone

xbox one controllers uses these metal dome switches for dpad, they require a lot of actuating pressure. playing retro games with this dpad is killing my thumb.

image.jpeg.cd7169a326df9fc102c374aaf9f19da8.jpeg

the face buttons(ABXY) however, uses tradional silicon dome pads which imo is the only way to build controller switch mechanism.

i want a controller that has silicon pad under the dpad, and not too expensive. there is just no discussion around the web about how dpads between various controllers.

to my knowledge all xbox controllers uses metal dome switches, including elite. that's fine as i coulnd justify spending that much money on a controller anyway.

i dont like ps4's dpad, the shape is simply stupid.

i don't mind what layout however, symmetry (ps4) or staggered (xbox, nintendo) are both fine in my book.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

the 8BitDo SF30 is probably your best bet, i'm about to order one, so i can't really say anything about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, simpsonfan409 said:

the 8BitDo SF30 is probably your best bet, i'm about to order one, so i can't really say anything about it.

ive never into that shape, im not a supernes kid. but if it's on sale i might consider one, but the price is a bit oof rn. i have to pay postage and import duty.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 6/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, zassou said:

ive never into that shape, im not a supernes kid. but if it's on sale i might consider one, but the price is a bit oof rn. i have to pay postage and import duty.

there is also the pro+ version, that's shaped like the snes, ps4 and xbox controllers had a baby. it also has some improvements over the SF30.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, zassou said:

Tech] Xbox One D-Pad issues: The root of the problem? : xboxone

xbox one controllers uses these metal dome switches for dpad, they require a lot of actuating pressure. playing retro games with this dpad is killing my thumb.

image.jpeg.cd7169a326df9fc102c374aaf9f19da8.jpeg

the face buttons(ABXY) however, uses tradional silicon dome pads which imo is the only way to build controller switch mechanism.

i want a controller that has silicon pad under the dpad, and not too expensive. there is just no discussion around the web about how dpads between various controllers.

to my knowledge all xbox controllers uses metal dome switches, including elite. that's fine as i coulnd justify spending that much money on a controller anyway.

i dont like ps4's dpad, the shape is simply stupid.

i don't mind what layout however, symmetry (ps4) or staggered (xbox, nintendo) are both fine in my book.

The DPAD on the switch pro controller is decent, prefer it over the Xbone for platformers.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

The DPAD on the switch pro controller is decent, prefer it over the Xbone for platformers.

but the price is insane

On 7/2/2020 at 10:33 PM, zassou said:

but the price is insane

£50 isn't bad about the same as the Xbone 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

i just got my SF30, the D-Pad is not fantastic, it's somewhat soft, but it doesn't give you much feedback when switching from left/right/up/down to diagonal angles. it's better than what we have on the big brand controllers, but i wouldn't get it just for the D-Pad. overall it's built well, the sticks are much better than expected and the front buttons are not as obnoxious as the xbox one-s buttons.

I am not happy with Xbox One controllers period. They are way more fragile / prone to break than what my brother, my son and I have used in the past.  In fact for PC I continue to use a wired Xbox 360 controller.  As for the D-Pad the best one ever to me was on the Sega Genesis.