Assistance in Going College Build

Budget (including currency): Trying to keep under $1500 at least

PC Part Picker List:

So this is the build I got so far it is kinda me looking and throwing things together.

I will primarily use this PC for gaming with light streaming, video editing, and CAD work on the side; and as the post implies for a lot of schoolwork once I get there. The only thing I am really privy to is the case as I really like the ability to have a handle since I have logged my full size build from school and back when I was doing boarding school.

Questions

- A lot of the builds for this computer I have seen have a lot of additional fans and use things like the be quiet which is why I added it. But I have also seen other extra fans and was wondering how many should I get.

- I see that I am already close to my budget so where do you think I could go down in price without losing too much on overall performance

- If the price would go down considerably by going an ATX case then I would also consider the change

That is really overpriced for a Mini ITX board and there are cheaper RX 5700XT's on the market. You would probably save around 100 bucks going ATX than that exact motherboard. Newegg rn is doing a promo for an AsRock RX-5700XT (20 USD rebate). I think if its possible to wait until COVID-19 is over cause motherboards rn are overpriced and in high demand. Also, that is quite an overkill PSU for this build. A good quality 650Watt PSU is probably all you need. Also, I know Team T-Force sells the same speed ram and CAS for a lower price. You could prob save money by going with a cheaper cooler like the Hyper 212, but the be quiet is also very good. Everything else looks pretty good tho. All links down below.

GPU:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-xt-challenger-d-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930020?item=N82E16814930020&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-video+cards+-+amd%2fati-_-N82E16814930020&gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhbSVEHaSuF2mBRPyhSkO4cZ1-hXa02bx7wQl-06PCACWHX8yjj3zvRoCr0IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

RAM:

https://www.newegg.com/team-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331284

650W PSU:

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202?item=N82E16817151202&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-_-power%20supplies-_-seasonic%20usa-_-17151202&source=region

This looks nice overall. The only things I'm initially noticing is the cooler and the PSU. Your PC won't need 750w but if thats the only wattage in stock for a smaller PSU then it makes more sense. For the cooler, it's a little overkill for a 3600 but it'll definitely be quiet if thats what you want. You can save some money by getting a different cooler.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I would highly recommend waiting till septemer. is is widely rumored that new nvidia gpu's and new amd cpus will release during that period. 

the cooler is completely unnecessary, Ryzen 3000 processors come with a stock cooler that is perfectly adequate. Also, considering you're doing video editing and CAD work, RAM is pretty important. consider getting a used 1080 TI, have 11gb of RAM instead of the 8GB of 5700 XT. 

Looks like a pretty good build, but here's my tips:

• Go for a smaller PSU, you don't need 750w, and Platinum cert is also unnecessary.
  • Are you sure that cooler can fit in the case? It's pretty big. I also wouldn't use something that heavy if you plan to carry the PC around with you a lot.

Other than that, solid build. Personally I'd go for an Nvidia card, but that's more personal preference.

43 minutes ago, scratch101345 said:

That is really overpriced for a Mini ITX board and there are cheaper RX 5700XT's on the market. You would probably save around 100 bucks going ATX than that exact motherboard. Newegg rn is doing a promo for an AsRock RX-5700XT (20 USD rebate). I think if its possible to wait until COVID-19 is over cause motherboards rn are overpriced and in high demand. Also, that is quite an overkill PSU for this build. A good quality 650Watt PSU is probably all you need. Also, I know Team T-Force sells the same speed ram and CAS for a lower price. You could prob save money by going with a cheaper cooler like the Hyper 212, but the be quiet is also very good. Everything else looks pretty good tho. All links down below.

Haha, wait until COVID is over? Funny. He'll likely be done his first year by the time that happens, if not second.

24 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I would highly recommend waiting till septemer. is is widely rumored that new nvidia gpu's and new amd cpus will release during that period. 

I kind of doubt AMD will release new CPUs this year. There's been rumors they're holding off until next year, and it kind of makes sense with them releasing refreshed CPUs this close to Sept.

16 minutes ago, Jedimaster99 said:

the cooler is completely unnecessary, Ryzen 3000 processors come with a stock cooler that is perfectly adequate. Also, considering you're doing video editing and CAD work, RAM is pretty important. consider getting a used 1080 TI, have 11gb of RAM instead of the 8GB of 5700 XT. 

Not true. While it's ok, it quickly throttles under load.

Not everyone is fine with used components, some value the warranty more.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Looks like a pretty good build, but here's my tips:

• Go for a smaller PSU, you don't need 750w, and Platinum cert is also unnecessary.
  • Are you sure that cooler can fit in the case? It's pretty big. I also wouldn't use something that heavy if you plan to carry the PC around with you a lot.

Other than that, solid build. Personally I'd go for an Nvidia card, but that's more personal preference.

Haha, wait until COVID is over? Funny. He'll likely be done his first year by the time that happens, if not second.

I kind of doubt AMD will release new CPUs this year. There's been rumors they're holding off until next year, and it kind of makes sense with them releasing refreshed CPUs this close to Sept.

Not true. While it's ok, it quickly throttles under load.

Not everyone is fine with used components, some value the warranty more.

Thanks and I feel somewhat similar about COVID having no end in sight. I found the PSU scratch suggested earlier and while it doesn't show up on PC part picker I'm happy it exist on newegg.

About the cooling I mostly chose it since I have seen it in multiple TU150 builds on PC Part Picker so I know it fits. But I am more doing it because it seems to be a trend. I went down to the non-pro version saving $10 but am open to ones that can keep my computer quiet for less.

Also in the builds I saw it was common to have at least 2 more fans since the case itself doesn't have any. Do you think I should do this, and do you have suggestions for that.

@dizmo I disagree with your comment on thermal throttling. I run a 3900x on a stock cooler under 24/7 all-core full-load on BOINC and don't experience any thermal throttling. @LowQualityBuilds is running a 3600, and probably won't be under full load nonstop. if your computer is properly ventilated, it should run absolutely fine with a stock heatsink.

Upgrading Cooling is a thing Right? If so I can do without for now and see how it goes if its too loud or I am having these issues then maybe I upgrade?

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, wait until COVID is over? Funny. He'll likely be done his first year by the time that happens, if no

t second.

Ha yeah thats true