Dropped Frames NVENC Encoding

Shrepto

Someone new to streaming I'm watching was dropping frames last night to the point where it was massively impacting the stream.  The webcam and audio weren't lagging, just the game.

Long story short she stopped and we went over some of the possible issues.  Her setup is a GTX 1070 and Ryzen 1700.  She's streaming in 720p with her resolution at 1080p and 144hz.  The game was Resident Evil 7.  I'm not very familiar with streaming settings and all that, but my general consensus was that playing at 144hz and encoding on the GTX 1070 was too much for it to handle and that switching to CPU based X264 might resolve the issue.  Also gave her a link to the Twitch bitrate guide.  If anyone else has any other ideas would gladly pass them on.

Dropped frames are almost always network related. I doubt NVENC is causing this, and switching to CPU based encoding is going to significantly impact performance. Looking for network issues (unreliable connection, slow upload speed, etc.) would be a much better path to pursue right now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

44 minutes ago, Shrepto said:

Someone new to streaming I'm watching was dropping frames last night to the point where it was massively impacting the stream.  The webcam and audio weren't lagging, just the game.

Long story short she stopped and we went over some of the possible issues.  Her setup is a GTX 1070 and Ryzen 1700.  She's streaming in 720p with her resolution at 1080p and 144hz.  The game was Resident Evil 7.  I'm not very familiar with streaming settings and all that, but my general consensus was that playing at 144hz and encoding on the GTX 1070 was too much for it to handle and that switching to CPU based X264 might resolve the issue.  Also gave her a link to the Twitch bitrate guide.  If anyone else has any other ideas would gladly pass them on.

I'm assuming that she is using OBS for streaming. 

On that case, you can see what's causing the frame drop of you enable stats. It either says network lag, rendering lag or encode lag. 

It would also help to see what exact settings is she using. 

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

I'm assuming that she is using OBS for streaming. 

On that case, you can see what's causing the frame drop of you enable stats. It either says network lag, rendering lag or encode lag. 

It would also help to see what exact settings is she using. 

She is using Streamlabs IIRC.

She's going to test it again and see.  Hopefully she can find the reasoning for the dropped frames.  I wasn't aware it would tell you why they were being dropped, that's a neat feature.