PowerBricks Close Together. Safe or Not?

Greetings LTT Community,

This topic may sound bizaar to some of you, but I didn't know where to put it elsewhere so here it is. Anyways, I just got into PCMR and I'm pretty much a petty person when it comes to clean cable management.

The question or hypothesis that I would like to ask is, is it safe to put powerbricks close together? Will a somewhat electric surge or ground happen when they are close or on top of each other? I'm planning to buy a cable box to keep my setup clean and wire-free as possible. And I was wondering if it is safe to keep all the powerbricks of my two monitors and laptop inside a single cable box or not?

I would appreciate a logical answer to this. Thanks!

PS: I am no electrician or close to anything in that regard, so my knowledge in these kinds of things is abysmal. 

They'll be fine. They might get a bit toasty if you keep them sealed in a box with no airflow, but if they aren't cheap Chinese knock-offs they won't blow up on you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If you want to think about it from an "electrician's" perspective, I have mainly been taught that in order for something to arc like that you would need some very high voltages (for some period of time at least). I think that plastic housing they have makes it even more difficult for something like that to happen. As long as you don't have bare wires or the brick is cracked open it should be safe for the average user.

2 minutes ago, Gahlejm said:

Greetings LTT Community,

This topic may sound bizaar to some of you, but I didn't know where to put it elsewhere so here it is. Anyways, I just got into PCMR and I'm pretty much a petty person when it comes to clean cable management.

The question or hypothesis that I would like to ask is, is it safe to put powerbricks close together? Will a somewhat electric surge or ground happen when they are close or on top of each other? I'm planning to buy a cable box to keep my setup clean and wire-free as possible. And I was wondering if it is safe to keep all the powerbricks of my two monitors and laptop inside a single cable box or not?

I would appreciate a logical answer to this. Thanks!

PS: I am no electrician or close to anything in that regard, so my knowledge in these kinds of things is abysmal. 

Thanks for the question @Gahlejm, I would run a small USB fan if you decide to keep the power bricks in close distance so that they don't overheat and use a good surge protector such as the one linked within this post to prevent damage to connected devices whether or not you decide to run them close since the electricity from the wall can't always be trusted (ex. voltage spikes/surges).

Link to a USB fan (this is what I use in my networking room to keep equipment cool and it has lasted for more than 5 years now and still runs 24/7):    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-inch-Metal-Desktop-Fan-Blue/198883989?selected=true

Link to a Good Surge Protector on Amazon:   https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-6-Foot/dp/B07GFRKSXD/ref=sr_1_19dchild=1&keywords=surge+protector&qid=1592323688&refinements=p_89%3AAmazonBasics&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-19

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the question @Gahlejm, I would run a small USB fan if you decide to keep the power bricks in close distance so that they don't overheat and use a good surge protector such as the one linked within this post to prevent damage to connected devices whether or not you decide to run them close since the electricity from the wall can't always be trusted (ex. voltage spikes/surges).

Link to a USB fan (this is what I use in my networking room to keep equipment cool and it has lasted for more than 5 years now and still runs 24/7):    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-inch-Metal-Desktop-Fan-Blue/198883989?selected=true

Link to a Good Surge Protector on Amazon:   https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-6-Foot/dp/B07GFRKSXD/ref=sr_1_19dchild=1&keywords=surge+protector&qid=1592323688&refinements=p_89%3AAmazonBasics&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-19

Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it.