My Mini-Review of the Samsung 840 EVO (120GB)

flibberdipper

I've had my EVO for about 2 weeks now, and I figured it was about time that I did a mini-review on it. So, let's get the typical SSD stuff out of the way: It's power-efficient, fast, quiet, and awesome. Now, before I show you the benchmark, keep in mind, this is running on a SATA II netbook with an Atom N270, and it's a little bottlenecked. Those access times though...

BGLJaHF.png

I wasn't able to do a write benchmark, since Xubuntu wanted the drive to be clean (nothing on it at all, no fileststem or anything). It's probably around the same as the read.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

bottleneck much?

nvm. just saw it's an old system. ^^

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

So the conclusion is, that it is a good drive? also for boot?

Yup. It's boot. It is REALLY nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So the conclusion is, that it is a good drive? also for boot?

It's a great drive (Samsung makes all of their own stuff)

Also, it's cheap... Me Gusta.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

It's a nice drive indeed, the read speeds sometimes appear to be lower than 400mbps but that's because I have an old sata thing on my mobo, the writes with turbowrite always is 500+ so yeah. It's definitely a good SSD.

It's a nice drive indeed, the read speeds sometimes appear to be lower than 400mbps but that's because I have an old sata thing on my mobo, the writes with turbowrite always is 500+ so yeah. It's definitely a good SSD.

I love it. It's painful going back to my PC's that use HDDs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Having just built my new system with this very beastie as my boot drive, I'm thrilled. I've been using a painfully slow Toshiba Satellite Pro (eww, 5400rpm) and it's such an eye opener to be able to boot to Win 8.1 in ten seconds.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

Having just built my new system with this very beastie as my boot drive, I'm thrilled. I've been using a painfully slow Toshiba Satellite Pro (eww, 5400rpm) and it's such an eye opener to be able to boot to Win 8.1 in ten seconds.

5400rpm is not bad at all if all you're using it as file storage for movies and music. It's fast enough to play full HD files and all that so nbd. 

For a boot drive though 5400rpm can get annoying really quickly. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

5400rpm is not bad at all if all you're using it as file storage for movies and music. It's fast enough to play full HD files and all that so nbd. 

For a boot drive though 5400rpm can get annoying really quickly. 

It was the only drive - boot, gaming and storage. The thing was like a bloody turtle. Took a couple of minutes to boot to desktop, another minute to start my 'startup' apps. Let's not even talk about how long it took to start Arma 2...

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

It was the only drive - boot, gaming and storage. The thing was like a bloody turtle. Took a couple of minutes to boot to desktop, another minute to start my 'startup' apps. Let's not even talk about how long it took to start Arma 2...

I get 50 second boot times on a 5200rpm drive mate. Methinks you had a lot of startup services or programs for it to take minutes upon minutes.

Anyways you should keep it as secondary storage because 5200rpm is good enough for mass storage for movies music and all that and playing them back off the hard drive. 

I get 50 second boot times on a 5200rpm drive mate. Methinks you had a lot of startup services or programs for it to take minutes upon minutes.

Anyways you should keep it as secondary storage because 5200rpm is good enough for mass storage for movies music and all that and playing them back off the hard drive. 

You may be right - it wasn't my laptop, at any rate - it's fine for my girlfriend's purposes!

You may be right - it wasn't my laptop, at any rate - it's fine for my girlfriend's purposes!

make sure she doesn't have viruses haha    Edit: (i'm not talking about her, but the laptop! I sounded like a dick lol)

And check the startup services by typing in "msconfig" in the search and then looking at all the startup services (check hide all microsoft services). You can disable those that seem unnecessary from there.