Battery draining while the system is shut down

I charge my laptop till 50% and shut it down at night. The laptop is in the shut down state for like 9-10 hours. After I boot up the system it refuses to power up and I have to connect my charger to switch on the laptop. I have two OS on my HDD. Fedora and Windows. I am not using windows at the moment and only using fedora. I still remember when I used to power off the system through windows next day I was easily able to boot up with some battery percentage lost(considering the load of booting up taking the system resources) and this was when I was shutting down the system at much lower percentages. I have been using Fedora for 2 months now and have updated it to the latest kernel and running the latest version of fedora. The issue still persists. I have tried switching off wifi and bluetooth manually but no change. I also tried init 0 but same result. Please help me with this

How's the battery health? 

2 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

How's the battery health? 

The Laptop is about 4 year old

Just now, boxersteavee said:

is it defo shutdown and not in sleep,

yeah! The gui button says 'Power Off'. There is a seperate button for suspend

23 minutes ago, Abhishek sharma said:

The Laptop is about 4 year old

I mean the actual battery health. Like cycle count, remaining capacity, wear level. There are utilities which can display that information.

1 hour ago, Konrad_K said:

I mean the actual battery health. Like cycle count, remaining capacity, wear level. There are utilities which can display that information.

I can check that and come back, but what about the same thing when using windows. I am not really sure but I think in case of windows I was still able to boot up and use it if I shut down at the same percentage of the battery. Its been only two months of me using fedora, so I dont think so the battery health has gone this bad in such a short time that I cant compare the two. 

1 hour ago, Abhishek sharma said:

I can check that and come back, but what about the same thing when using windows. I am not really sure but I think in case of windows I was still able to boot up and use it if I shut down at the same percentage of the battery. Its been only two months of me using fedora, so I dont think so the battery health has gone this bad in such a short time that I cant compare the two. 

I see. Maybe it has something to do with hibernate vs suspend? I am not a Linux expert but that could be the problem potentially. 

On 6/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, Konrad_K said:

I see. Maybe it has something to do with hibernate vs suspend? I am not a Linux expert but that could be the problem potentially. 

Did this one experiment, I didnt "Power Off" the system this time. Instead just closed the lid and for some reason I was at 18% battery. Earlier (I remind you) I couldnt even boot up my system and when I connected the charger and booted up I was still at 5%. Something is wrong for sure.

I would guess this is indeed a battery health issue. I can also think of two more options:

1) the Linux distribution is using more power than Windows (this is actually quite common, as some optimizations are proprietary and generally Linux Kernel might not be optimized for power usage) AND displaying the battery charge wrongly (i.e. showing too high numbers). This is easy to test: let the battery discharge while the OS is running. Does the charge go below 50%, in a regular fashion, and warn (and only then shut down) near 0%? (EDIT: you could also reboot to Windows and check the battery charge from there; it should show roughly the same numbers, perhaps only a little less due to discharge while rebooting)

2) The computer has actually not completely shut down, as you suspect. But I don't see how this state could be mixed with shutdown; i.e. fans will not turn off in case the computer is still on, and if they do, it has definitely shut down. Also, since in shutdown only the computer H/W and BIOS is in charge, but this is not true if it has not shut down; i.e. power button behavior etc. should be different (single press of power button will not power on the computer, but perhaps, after holding down a certain amount of time, force a power-off, and only after that you can power it back on).

I don't see how any OS could affect the discharge during the computer not being powered.