ASUS DIGI+ VRM

I've been playing in the bios of my ASUS PRIME B450-Plus and I'm trying to figure out what DIGI+ VRM is, I assume it's for overclocking, should I have it set to extreme?

It's most likely just power delivery related settings. I personally wouldn't bother with it since that board is quite poorly equipped for overclocking.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

It's most likely just power delivery related settings. I personally wouldn't bother with it since that board is quite poorly equipped for overclocking.

I didn't know that. I figured for a $120 USD board it would be at least decent. Is there are B450 mobo that is good for overclocking and costs less than $200 that you know of?

Just now, awesomecdudley said:

I didn't know that. I figured for a $120 USD board it would be at least decent. Is there are B450 mobo that is good for overclocking and costs less than $200 that you know of?

that was really bad grammar, my apologies.

1 minute ago, awesomecdudley said:

For b450 the tomhawk max or mortar max are pretty good 

For x570 or x470 in the 200-250ish the prime pro or the tuf series are decent

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

For b450 the tomhawk max or mortar max are pretty good 

For x570 or x470 in the 200-250ish the prime pro or the tuf series are decent

what about the B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, it looks like it has some beefy VRMs, and plus, it has 3 X16 slots, which'll be nice for folding

4 minutes ago, awesomecdudley said:

that was really bad grammar, my apologies.

No worries. You can edit your posts/replies by the way with the little "Edit" button next to the Quote/Share/Report buttons.

4 minutes ago, awesomecdudley said:

When did you purchase it? $120 USD sounds like quite a lot for that particular board.

Are you interested in returning it and buying something else? Also, what CPU are you using?

There's plenty of B450 boards even around the $100 USD mark that have much better VRMs that should be able to handle even a 12-core (like the 3900X), granted at stock speeds. That being said, with the current motherboard shortage that'll hopefully be over soon, options might be limited and/or overpriced at the moment.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

what about the B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, it looks like it has some beefy VRMs, and plus, it has 3 X16 slots, which'll be nice for folding

The aorus pro is meh 

Vrms are not the best and the board is usually overpriced from what I have seen

As what @Mateyyy said are you interested in returning the board? 

Because if your not into ocing you don't need to return it 

If it works it works also what cpu do you have ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

No worries. You can edit your posts/replies by the way with the little "Edit" button next to the Quote/Share/Report buttons.

When did you purchase it? $120 USD sounds like quite a lot for that particular board.

Are you interested in returning it and buying something else? Also, what CPU are you using?

There's plenty of B450 boards even around the $100 USD mark that have much better VRMs that should be able to handle even a 12-core (like the 3900X), granted at stock speeds. That being said, with the current motherboard shortage that'll hopefully be over soon, options might be limited and/or overpriced at the moment.

I bought mine almost exactly a year ago. I have a 2700 non X. I may sell it or give it to my little brother.

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What do you recommend for maximum overclocking (within reason, I have an NH-12S)

2 minutes ago, awesomecdudley said:

What do you recommend for maximum overclocking (within reason, I have an NH-12S)

With b450 

The best board is either the mortar max or the tomhawk max 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The aorus pro is meh 

Vrms are not the best and the board is usually overpriced from what I have seen

As what @Mateyyy said are you interested in returning the board? 

Because if your not into ocing you don't need to return it 

If it works it works also what cpu do you have ?

2700 non x, NH-U12S, I want maximum overclocks. I've had 4.1 @ 1.2875v

2 minutes ago, awesomecdudley said:

I bought mine almost exactly a year ago. I have a 2700 non X. I may sell it or give it to my little brother.

Yeah don't overclock a 2700 with that board.

I would wait at least for a week or two more for B550 to come out and maybe prices for other boards will get back to normal too.

You could get a B450-A Pro/Gaming Plus/Mortar/Tomahawk from MSI now, which can run a 3900X at stock and MSI's also said that these boards should support Zen 3 with a Beta BIOS update.

If you wait for a bit, a lot of B550 boards look quite beefy in the VRM department and even feature set, though considering (from what we currently know) they'll be just very slightly cheaper or pretty much around the same price as their X570 counterparts, I can't say for sure whether they'll be worth it or not.

If you're to buy now but want guaranteed Ryzen 4000 compatbility and the ability to run even a 3950X even with PBO (so above stock speeds), I'd look at either a Prime X570-P or TUF X570-PLUS from ASUS (these should normally be at around $160 and $180 respectively iirc). There would also be MSI's X570 Tomahawk though that one's still not released. 

2700 non x, NH-U12S, I want maximum overclocks. I've had 4.1 @ 1.2875v

Wait for b550 

Or get a tomhawk max or a mortar max 

X570 get a tuf x570 or a prime pro these are decent

Don't look at msi options for budget x570 

They suffer from alot of bios problems and build quality in general 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

I would wait at least for a week or two more for B550 to come out and maybe prices for other boards will get back to normal too.

You could get a B450-A Pro/Gaming Plus/Mortar/Tomahawk from MSI now, which can run a 3900X at stock and MSI's also said that these boards should support Zen 3 with a Beta BIOS update.

If you wait for a bit, a lot of B550 boards look quite beefy in the VRM department and even feature set, though considering (from what we currently know) they'll be just very slightly cheaper or pretty much around the same price as their X570 counterparts, I can't say for sure whether they'll be worth it or not.

If you're to buy now but want guaranteed Ryzen 4000 compatbility and the ability to run even a 3950X even with PBO (so above stock speeds), I'd look at either a Prime X570-P or TUF X570-PLUS from ASUS (these should normally be at around $160 and $180 respectively iirc). There would also be MSI's X570 Tomahawk though that one's still not released. 

Is my 2700 out of the box compatible with X570, because then I'll get a get a 3700X later and it'll be a nice and easy swap.

Is my 2700 out of the box compatible with X570

Yes

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Do you mean Prime X570-Pro?

16 minutes ago, awesomecdudley said:

Do you mean Prime X570-Pro?

I meant the X570-P - the cheapest X570 board ASUS offers. It's quite barebones but has super solid VRMs, and comes at a reasonable price.

The Prime X570-Pro is better; it's pretty much the Strix X570-F, just with a different colour scheme and I believe it also loses BIOS flashback or something else, but other than that they're identical.

You can check the forum's motherboard tier list to easily get an idea of a motherboard's VRM/power delivery capabilities here. All of the ASUS boards I mentioned above for example are in tier A, meaning it should be plenty even for a 16-core 3950X.

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I meant the X570-P - the cheapest X570 board ASUS offers. It's quite barebones but has super solid VRMs, and comes at a reasonable price.

The Prime X570-Pro is better; it's pretty much the Strix X570-F, just with a different colour scheme and I believe it also loses BIOS flashback or something else, but other than that they're identical.

You can check the forum's motherboard tier list to easily get an idea of a motherboard's VRM/power delivery capabilities here. All of the ASUS boards I mentioned above for example are in tier A, meaning it should be plenty even for a 16-core 3950X.

thanks for your help. It's nice to know good people are still out there. Have a good (insert time of day in local region).

Well, I can't complain about the B450 Prime Plus. 
Never failed me, good Bios with enough settings to tweak, and can handle my CPU OC as well as my RAM OC just fine. :D

7 hours ago, C17H23NO2 said:

Well, I can't complain about the B450 Prime Plus. 
Never failed me, good Bios with enough settings to tweak, and can handle my CPU OC as well as my RAM OC just fine. :D

I will say that I've had really good luck with my RAM, 2666 to 3266 with no problem. I think the DOCP profiles automatically increase voltage.