Ryzen 3700x at 0.54 ghz

ChamberNC

Hi everyone, I am helping my friend with his new pc because he is not getting the performance expected at all. I went into task manager and noticed that he was running at 0.54 ghz. This made me think a possible thermal throttle but when i checked he's running at 35-40c which i know is high but think that it is only there because it is thermal throttling. He said that he didn't touch the thermal paste on the bottom of his stock cooler but i can't be sure. The other option I have is a bent pin on the cpu. Does anyone think these could be possible answers or is there anything im missing?

Hold up.

0.54GHz and 35-40C at idle? That's perfectly normal.

Use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO though for checking temperatures/clock speeds, as they're the most reliable for Ryzen.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Hold up.

0.54GHz and 35-40C at idle? That's perfectly normal.

Really? My 2600x stays at 4 ghz at its lowest. Also when he does something with his cpu it stays the same.

2 minutes ago, ChamberNC said:

Really? My 2600x stays at 4 ghz at its lowest. Also when he does something with his cpu it stays the same.

Maybe you're using the High Performance power plan, that could explain why. 

Download something like Cinebench, to simulate a full 100% load on the CPU. Run that and report back what temperatures and clock speeds you notice, again, checking with Ryzen Master and/or HWiNFO.

Also make sure he's got the latest BIOS and chipset drivers installed, and if he's running an older Windows install, it would be advised to reinstall the OS.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Download something like Cinebench, to simulate a full 100% load on the CPU. Run that and report back what temperatures and clock speeds you notice, again, checking with Ryzen Master and/or HWiNFO.

Also make sure he's got the latest BIOS and chipset drivers installed, and if he's running an older Windows install, it would be advised to reinstall the OS.

i've done that ill check cinebench and tell you. thank you.

21 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

After running cinebench r20 which felt like waiting for christ to return he has 600 point and it never went past 0.55 ghz at 43.5c

bruh.PNG

2 minutes ago, ChamberNC said:

After running cinebench r20 which felt like waiting for christ to return he has 600 point and it never went past 0.55 ghz at 43.5c

[...]

Well that's not normal.

Can you provide a full list of the PC's specifications, and also what power plan are you using?

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Well that's not normal.

Can you provide a full list of the PC's specifications, and also what power plan are you using?

3700x stock cooler

MSI b450 Tomahawk

TridentZ neo 3600 cl 18 

750w 80+ gold psu 

5700xt reference

(sorry if i dont know everything it's not my pc)

26 minutes ago, ChamberNC said:

3700x stock cooler

MSI b450 Tomahawk

TridentZ neo 3600 cl 18 

750w 80+ gold psu 

5700xt reference

Quite odd, it sounds like you're running into some sort of throttling, despite temps/power consumption being normal.

Recheck all the power connectors (both on the motherboard and PSU side).

Try going into Ryzen Master and disabling PROCHOT, and redo the Cinebench run. If the CPU now runs at normal speeds, I'd try a different BIOS revision, and if that doesn't do the trick then there might be something wrong with the board itself.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Quite odd, it sounds like you running into some sort of throttling, despite temps and therefore power consumption being normal.

Recheck all the power connectors (both on the motherboard and PSU side).

Try going into Ryzen Master and disabling PROCHOT, and redo the Cinebench run. If the CPU now runs at normal speeds, I'd try a different BIOS revision, and if that doesn't do the trick then there might be something wrong with the board itself.

yeah thats what i was thinking. He might drop off the pc to me and i can do a better check

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, ChamberNC said:

3700x stock cooler

MSI b450 Tomahawk

TridentZ neo 3600 cl 18 

750w 80+ gold psu 

5700xt reference

I know it sounds stupid, but what if there is a slight chance that it is set to low power.