Old graphics card received?

bluecew
Go to solution Solved by Void Master,

There is nothing wrong.

Read this about the EVGA 2060 KO (also applies to your card)

Nvidia utilizes TU106 for its RTX 2060, RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070. The TU104 die, on the other hand, is for the higher end models, such as the RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that the primary motivation behind sticking the TU104 die inside the RTX 2060 KO Gaming is cost reduction.

The TU104-150 dies found in the RTX 2060 KO Gaming are most likely those that didn't make the cut for the more powerful models. Keep in mind that the TU104 die is a much larger chip than the TU106 and houses up to 3,072 CUDA cores. The RTX 2060 is specced at 1,920 CUDA cores. So as long as 60% of the CUDA cores are good, the TU104 die will work just fine for a RTX 2060.

For the most part, the performance difference between a RTX 2060 with the TU106 die and another with the TU104 die should be insignificant. However, it has been proven that the TU104 die performs better with Blender.

5 minutes ago, bluecew said:

TU106 and the release date of the card was August 2018 when the newer models are from early 2019.

Lookie here, is this card old? Shall I return it and get another one?

All Turing cards (except the super models) were released in 2018, so it's normal.

There is no need to return your GPU, if you use any professional applications you can get up to 50% performance increase. 

The only downside is that you can barely overclock it. (not that important tbh, performance increase will be minimal anyways)

Just purchased a new RTX 2060 from MSI. Launched GPU-z and saw that it had a TU104 die when it's supposed to be TU106 and the release date of the card was August 2018 when the newer models are from early 2019.

Capture.PNG

There is nothing wrong.

Read this about the EVGA 2060 KO (also applies to your card)

Nvidia utilizes TU106 for its RTX 2060, RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070. The TU104 die, on the other hand, is for the higher end models, such as the RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that the primary motivation behind sticking the TU104 die inside the RTX 2060 KO Gaming is cost reduction.

The TU104-150 dies found in the RTX 2060 KO Gaming are most likely those that didn't make the cut for the more powerful models. Keep in mind that the TU104 die is a much larger chip than the TU106 and houses up to 3,072 CUDA cores. The RTX 2060 is specced at 1,920 CUDA cores. So as long as 60% of the CUDA cores are good, the TU104 die will work just fine for a RTX 2060.

For the most part, the performance difference between a RTX 2060 with the TU106 die and another with the TU104 die should be insignificant. However, it has been proven that the TU104 die performs better with Blender.

5 minutes ago, bluecew said:

TU106 and the release date of the card was August 2018 when the newer models are from early 2019.

All Turing cards (except the super models) were released in 2018, so it's normal.

There is no need to return your GPU, if you use any professional applications you can get up to 50% performance increase. 

The only downside is that you can barely overclock it. (not that important tbh, performance increase will be minimal anyways)

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

You're fine. If anything, you get some extra performance in some productivity tasks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Nvidia is selling their lower quality tu104 dies as 2060. normally those are used in 2080's. this chip should peform equal to a normal 2060, but i is accutally better in some workstation applications. gamers nexus made a video of this chip in 2060's