Ryzen 3950x with U12A

Kabi

Hello everyone , 

I just got Ryzen 3950X with Crosshair Formula Mobo for my build, and planning to get U12A or Dark rock pro 4 for cpu cooler. (yes preferred to go with air cooler).

and case with 2 x front intake 120mm fan and 1x120mm rear exhaust fan. planning to add 1 more intake fan on top.

I just wanna know  U12A is good enough to handle 3D model and rendering workloads ? anyone here using 3950 with U12A ? can you share your experience and highest cpu temp you got with full workload ?

thank you . 

If you're not overclocking both coolers will handle it just fine.

If you can get them at the same price, the Dark Rock 4 Pro is the cooler and quieter performer though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The NH-U12A will handle a 3950X just fine, even with PBO, the only (subjective) problem with it being the poop and tan colour scheme. 

The DRP4 performs similarly to an NH-D15, so it will perform a couple degrees better than the U12A. It is a bit bulkier though compared to the U12A.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I'm using the U12A with 3900X.

In Blender renders the CPU goes to 90°C at around 4GHz (stock CPU core settings). 

I had Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler on 4770k before and it was definitely less louder at max RPM than the U12A fans, it was also a better cooler but I just couldn't mount it on AM4.

I actually had both the NH-U12S chromax black and the Dark Rock Pro 4 before and can recommend both. My Dark Rock Pro handled my overclock 8600K without breaking a sweat and the NH-U12S cooled my 3700X well. Only reason i run NH-D15 chromax on my 3700X now is because i wanted my PC to be absolutely silent and did not have AM4 mounting hardware for my Dark Rock Pro 4. I dont hear any fans from my pc even under load and when my room is dead silent at night. Just set the fan curve to max out at 650 RPM on the 140mm fans. Load temp is just around 70°C at cinebench load. I know it's a different CPU but if noise is your concern go for the NH-D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'm building two system with same config one for me and another one for my friend so we decide to choose NH-U12A and dark rock pro 4.  Thank you for sharing info . :) 

On 6/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, Stahlmann98 said:

I actually had both the NH-U12S chromax black and the Dark Rock Pro 4 before and can recommend both. My Dark Rock Pro handled my overclock 8600K without breaking a sweat and the NH-U12S cooled my 3700X well. Only reason i run NH-D15 chromax on my 3700X now is because i wanted my PC to be absolutely silent and did not have AM4 mounting hardware for my Dark Rock Pro 4. I dont hear any fans from my pc even under load and when my room is dead silent at night. Just set the fan curve to max out at 650 RPM on the 140mm fans. Load temp is just around 70°C at cinebench load. I know it's a different CPU but if noise is your concern go for the NH-D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4.

But the OP asks about NH-U12A. Which is a different cooler to NH-U12S. The NH-U12A can really compare to D15 for noise and cooling performance.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, WereCat said:

I'm using the U12A with 3900X.

In Blender renders the CPU goes to 90°C at around 4GHz (stock CPU core settings). 

I had Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler on 4770k before and it was definitely less louder at max RPM than the U12A fans, it was also a better cooler but I just couldn't mount it on AM4.

That's weird. I tried a smaller NH-U9S with 3900X in default. It runs ~83C for a Blender test. The NH-U12A should runs much cooler than that. Now I have a 280mm AIO. It runs 10C cooler than the NH-U9S, as expected.