Ryzen 9 3900x slower than 3600

I have been working on my dream setup desk and all for the last three months and finally got to a point that I was ready to set everything up. My PC has been stable since the first post and the CPU was so fast out of the box I didn't even want to worry about overclocking it so for the last 6 weeks I've been running the cpu stock with XMP on my ram. My configurations is as follows:

Ryzen 9 3900x

x570 Aorus Ultra

32 GB Trident Z Neo 3600 16-19-19-19-38

5700xt Mech OC

2 x 1 TB Silicon Power NVME SSD Raid 0 

3 x 2 TB HDD Raid 0 

240mm Cooler Master AIO 

Corsair RM 750 PSU

I was running a 3800x on this with this same configuration since the Radeon drivers became stable earlier this year and once those drivers were fixed it seemed as though that solved all my problems. Previously I had issues getting the XMP profile to run on this kit as I had paired two 32 GB kits with serial numbers that appeared they were manufactured around the same time (there is only a difference of 38 on the serial numbers). Along with the ram issues I was trying to run a 5700xt before the drivers were stable and just couldn't get it stable. Long story longer, I ordered a kit of 5 asia horse argb fans with their own controller to upgrade the aesthetics of my pc in my new setup, with that being the only change in my configuration I noticed things were taking a lot longer to happen than normal (video renders were twice as slow, I had to wait on photo exports that used to be instantaneous). I ran cinebench r20 as a sanity check noting my original score with this config was similar to an 1950x Threadripper and now it's slower than the 3600 that's in my son's rig.  I've done stress tests, cranked the fans to 100% thinking that maybe they weren't pushing enough air to cool my radiator but my cpu was peaking at 88c so that didn't appear to be the issue. I've broken everything down and ran the stock amd cooler, a different set or ram, an rx 570, a single boot drive and nothing will give me back my performance. Is there anyone out there that could offer  a suggestion for what I could do to get back to stock performance?

Try resetting the BIOS

Monitor clockspeeds to make sure youre hitting the right clocks. You could be running into thermal issues with motherboard VRMs, so monitor those too.

2 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Try resetting the BIOS

This could also be an issue, try clearing cmos or maybe flash to newest version of BIOS.

I've done that, sorry I didn't mention that. I also uninstalled Ryzen Master to make sure there wasn't anything in there that was pulled from my 3800x being applied to this CPU

Just now, Derpanieux said:

Monitor clockspeeds to make sure youre hitting the right clocks. You could be running into thermal issues with motherboard VRMs, so monitor those too.

This could also be an issue, try clearing cmos or maybe flash to newest version of BIOS.

Yeah that's what the crazy thing was, the clocks were peaking at 4.2 which is where they were when I ran my first benchmarks. 

Also try providing some information.

Saying "it is slower than the 3600 in my kids machine" doesn't tell us anything at all.  What was the Cinebench score, what other scores have you got when stress testing.

What are the temps, what are the clock speeds as measured by task master, ryzen master and HWINFO.

What is the power being sent to the CPU? 1.25v? 1.3v?

You have written a long post but not really provided actual information.

I know you probably a bit upset about your machine and want answer, but more information is only going to get to the solution faster.

Just now, N3rdDadTV said:

Yeah that's what the crazy thing was, the clocks were peaking at 4.2 which is where they were when I ran my first benchmarks. 

Peak clocks can be deceiving. If you have MSI afterburner I believe you can make graphs of individual core clock speeds with it. If your clocks dip halfway through the run due to VRM issues or something like that peak will not show that.

Cinebench 3365 - 3900x, 3589 - 3600

Clock 4.516 max 4.094 avg 

CPU is seeing spikes of 1.475 avg 1.291

Temps peak 74c avg 51

7 minutes ago, Derpanieux said:

Peak clocks can be deceiving. If you have MSI afterburner I believe you can make graphs of individual core clock speeds with it. If your clocks dip halfway through the run due to VRM issues or something like that peak will not show that.

I was monitoring the clocks during an aida64 stress test and they stayed consistent over 4.1 with no dramatic spikes, I have a csv of hwinfo recorded during a recent cinebench run could I upload that or is that too much data?

13 minutes ago, Derpanieux said:

Also on hwinfo it's saying VRM MOS is between 52-54c

Just now, N3rdDadTV said:

I was monitoring the clocks during an aida64 stress test and they stayed consistent over 4.1 with no dramatic spikes, I have a csv of hwinfo recorded during a recent cinebench run could I upload that or is that too much data?

Not really necessary, as long as you have made sure to monitor the clockspeed. Have you tried to use a fresh install of windows on a different drive?

Just now, Derpanieux said:

Not really necessary, as long as you have made sure to monitor the clockspeed. Have you tried to use a fresh install of windows on a different drive?

Yes, I also checked to make sure that all my drivers were up to date...chipset drivers were the only ones that were new

Does your motherboard have any PBO boost type of thing out of the box? some motherboards have been doing that lately. They deviate from AMD specs when you use the factory BIOS settings. Although that should show up as a difference in clock speed vs normal so I'm not sure

I would also suggest you try to swap the CPU between your machine and your sons machine to see how the performance stacks up when you do that

It does, I will disable it and see if that helps. 

7 minutes ago, Derpanieux said:

I would also suggest you try to swap the CPU between your machine and your sons machine to see how the performance stacks up when you do that

I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks for the help. Disabling PBO didn't help 

1 hour ago, N3rdDadTV said:

I ordered a kit of 5 asia horse argb fans with their own controller to upgrade the aesthetics of my pc in my new setup, with that being the only change in my configuration I noticed things were taking a lot longer to happen than normal (video renders were twice as slow, I had to wait on photo exports that used to be instantaneous).

I'd go ahead and say something's probably up with that. It's probably conflicting with something.

One time i had FaceIT anticheat for non-official csgo matchmaking, that used to make boot times painfully slow and the whole system rather sluggish. As soon as i removed that boot times were back to a couple seconds, rather than a 10+ second wait before the login screen.

1 minute ago, ValkyrieStar said:

I'd go ahead and say something's probably up with that. It's probably conflicting with something.

One time i had FaceIT anticheat for non-official csgo matchmaking, that used to make boot times painfully slow and the whole system rather sluggish. As soon as i removed that boot times were back to a couple seconds, rather than a 10+ second wait before the login screen.

There's no software, the controller connects to a pwm header on the mobo

Is SMT disabled by chance? 

No, I just checked it and it is enabled. 

Ok so I just installed my cpu in my sons machine and it worked within spec, r20 score 5976. I've reinstalled it back into my motherboard and still have the same issue. I swapped my 3800x back into it and that one was running at half the speed as well. I just noticed that it looks like my motherboard is only recognizing half of the ccx's as 6 core 12 thread cpu. I've reset the bios back to default settings only running my raid config and have 0 idea how this could happen other than my mobo having a hardware issue.  Any ideas?

image.png.483a21b2432b92b79cd6eed09c2e697a.png

Problem solved, my son just confessed he was on my pc and enabled game mode in ryzen master and somehow game mode with my motherboard cuts it down to one ccd. I've reinstalled ryzen master and now we're all good.  Thanks for all of your help.