AMD CPU will beat Intel APU

https://youtu.be/UMJZOjbsMeE

In this video, the youtuber Moore's Law is Dead explores the possibility of the upcoming AMD CPU codenamed Van Gogh and Cézanne where he talks about the APU being 24cu in a 9 watt chip which he says that even it seems like 24 compute units is big for a low powered device it might utilize in both a small and big version. Moore also goes on saying that Van Gogh may be 200-220 mm^2 which he said is the size of AMD previous last gen APU codenamed Picasso's. He say this is a normal for AMD to create these kinds of APU because there are premium version of AMD's Picasso in the Microsoft Surface Book and thinks Van Gogh will be in used for the HP Spectre and the Surface Book which in theory could disrupt the thin and light laptops that Intel has been dominating in for a long time. But this of course my theory and not related to Moore saying. He then goes that the Renoir APU for the laptops maybe faster in frequency than Van Gogh but Van Gogh has a high compute unit which can fully saturate the performance. Moore says that the Van Gogh APU can be clocked high if AMD wants and can be in Dell XPS laptop which it doesn't need a discrete graphics because the Dell XPS laptops are thin and lights. Now he goes into the topic of Cézanne and the why it is using the APU Vega instead of RDNA 2. Moore say that Cézanne will be use a mixture of the upcoming Zen 3 and Vega 7 instead of upcoming RDNA 2. Renoir APU, Moore says, that the APU will be used to for specific parts of the market instead of focusing on one part of the market. Moore says that AMD will 4 or 5 segments of mainstream APUs. He says the reason why AMD will use Vega again on Cézanne is because he takes very little die space. Moore makes the point that instead wasting space on the die, just put Vega because AMD doesn't wants to waste half of the die space for RDNA 2 just because Vega because it is a overall better to save the space such as a Vega APU. He continues with saying Intel is taking the same approach but it is more clumsier and dumber unlike AMD which they are taking it the smarter way. With Intel, they releasing Tiger Lake, they would release the quad core model first then the 8 core after. Intel was scrambling to release Tiger Lake. Moore says if they had released a 6 core Tiger Lake cpu with 64 execution units of 96 units and clocked the chip higher and with less graphics he says it would have directly competed with AMD Renoir CPUs. Intel is rushing out quad core cpu and Moore says it will get crushed by AMD Van Gogh CPUs. So AMD will go with Zen 3 with Vega to maximize die space unlike Zen 2 with RDNA 2 graphics. Now we have some software that AMD is developing that might boost the APU frequency that could common in AMD laptops. Moore talked with a guy who develops software for AMD and says that with feature you can either speed the CPU up or undervolt it to give it sustain CPU frequency. But he saids that AMD might not release this feature due to the voiding of warranty. So we might have watch out for this update in a future driver update. Moore says that none of the APU that we have talked about will have HBM except for the AMD APU Raphael which will have HBM. He goes on to many more topics on Intel Meteor Lake but you guys can watch his video about. Again this is not my words but the words of the man Moore's Law is Dead. All credit due to him.

As with all leaks/rumours - this should be obviously taken with a grain of salt.

Also, "APU" is just a marketing term for AMD, Intel doesn't make APUs.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

As with all leaks/rumours - this should be obviously taken with a grain of salt.

Also, "APU" is just a marketing term for AMD, Intel doesn't make APUs.

this man is pretty reliable the guy i talked about

1 minute ago, EscA said:

Still AMD hasn't confirmed these CPUs will come out, so a rumour.

3 minutes ago, EscA said:

I mean, I'm not sure about that. He hasn't been around for too long if I'm not mistaken and at least a good bit of his videos consist of very vague rumours that don't really have anything solid behind them from what I've seen. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

Also please add some breaks to that wall of text. Makes it easier to read.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Also please add some breaks to that wall of text. Makes it easier to read.

Especially on mobile :(

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Especially on mobile :(

i almost had a stroke reading it 

and i gave up reading it 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

@EscA for the love of sanity, please format your paragraph, this is not legible.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

intel/amd cpu coming out in the future will outperform amd/intel cpu out today. Such a shocker that it'll completely influence my buying habits today irregardless of what I actually need from a CPU and what the market is capable of today.

TODAY amd doesn't make a ryzen 7 or ryzen 9 APU, and they seem keen on releasing APU that are a generation behind with less cores and clock speed than when the tech was new. The track record amd has set for apu is less than stellar. And like everyone here has said, this is a rumor further fueled by a third party speculator, not worth my attention.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Moore's law is not really dead.... just extended by a few months.

And about that, it's not IPC doubles every couple of years, it's transistor density doubles every couple of years. 

Gotta say that because most people think it's IPC. If that where the case, Moore's Law died almost 20 years ago.

TLDR, but did skim it.

But APU is best suited for business segment. It's designed to put up a screen that can render some video during a presentation for example. No APU was ever actually intended for gaming. Or we'd all be using APUs in our gaming rigs. And for those on that budget, I actually feel sorry for them.

My old ass GTX 580 will stomp any current APU integrated graphics processor XD. 

What is the conversation actually about?

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I actually feel sorry for them.

oh come on its not that bad 

i mean i have a discrete gpu but im building my first pokemon  which will be an apu system 

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

TLDR, but did skim it.

how did you read it in the first place lmao

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

oh come on its not that bad 

i mean i have a discrete gpu but im building my first pokemon  which will be an apu system 

how did you read it in the first place lmao

I like to "speed read"  a lot. I do almost too much. I skip over important things sometimes lol.

So I only look for wording that stands out that may pertain to the thread title.

Often times people veer way off and deviate from the issue (which most people come here for) or in this case a rant I'm thinking. Maybe a little trolling on it too. But that depends on how you perceive it when you take it all in.

So yea, I skiped most of the words like "Is, that, the, and also ect..." Then I examine the larger words or pertaining words and re-read the sentence if need be. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So yea, I skiped most of the words like "Is, that, the, and also ect..." Then I examine the larger words or pertaining words and re-read the sentence if need be. 

i used to scheme through large threads messages etc but i am afraid to   get something wrong sometimes so i end up just reading the whole thing 

well sucks to be me i guess 🤣

Build Log: