How can I block devices from connecting to my wifi

Woxolifo

I have roommates who live with me and they refuse help pay the internet bill but still think they can use it even though we all agreed to pay a percent. I have changed the password a few times but they can still connect somehow. 

Is there a way to blacklist devices or even whitelist? I do not know how they are getting the new passwords or if it just auto connects but id assume they would need to put in the new password to connect. 

Is their any free programs? or is there like a router setting or something?  any advice would be very helpful. if you need any more info let me know.

Try "Netcut", it works pretty nicely for me in the past but i haven't used it in a long time

Turn on MAC address access control and only those MAC addresses that get added to the whitelist can connect. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

MAC filtering is the option you're looking for. Most routers should have this

Either white list your own devices or blacklist theirs if you know the MAC address

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Depending on the router you have, you should be to do one of  the following;

• Limit the number of device that can connect at a time
  • Set up MAC address control
  • set your passwords longer
  • turn off the WPS function

What router to do you have?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Depending on the router you have, you should be to do one of  the following;

• Limit the number of device that can connect at a time
  • Set up MAC address control
  • set your passwords longer
  • turn off the WPS function

What router to do you have?

I think I have a Linksys brand, what is WPS? I will google too lol

8 minutes ago, Woxolifo said:

I think I have a Linksys brand, what is WPS? I will google too lol

Wi-Fi Protected Setup

Pretty much it is like a Bluetooth connection button, press it and connect, skips the password request entirely. 

Since you have Linksys router login to your router setting and select the Wireless tab, select WPS and turn off.

What model do you have I can look up the specific UI you are using and walk you through if needed.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Problem is that if they have physical access to the device they can even just reset it to factory settings.

And they only way to prevent that would be to remove or block the switch. Which would also lock yourself out if you needed a reset :S

We had exact the same problem in an apartment complex (older building with the main router in the communal electricity cabinet.)

People would just reset the router whenever we changed the password. In the end we had to move the router to a locked cabinet.

14 minutes ago, Dujith said:

In the end we had to move the router to a locked cabinet.

Maybe the what the op needs to do. 👍

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

51 minutes ago, Woxolifo said:

I have roommates who live with me and they refuse help pay the internet bill but still think they can use it even though we all agreed to pay a percent. I have changed the password a few times but they can still connect somehow. 

Is there a way to blacklist devices or even whitelist? I do not know how they are getting the new passwords or if it just auto connects but id assume they would need to put in the new password to connect. 

Is their any free programs? or is there like a router setting or something?  any advice would be very helpful. if you need any more info let me know.

bro go to ur routers ip and go to statistics page and u may find the people who are logged in and simply press block if u want more guidelines dm me and btw is the router huawei?

Just now, VenomRaptor17 said:

bro go to ur routers ip and go to statistics page and u may find the people who are logged in and simply press block if u want more guidelines dm me and btw is the router huawei?

OP said it is a Linksys router. (5 comments previous)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER