Any chance your router may be a spy?

dfsgsfa

is it safe to get unknown brands? 

(not talking about performance or stabability)

will there be hidden add ons sending to someone?

There's always the danger. Really depends what kind of brands/routers we are talking about.

Also, define "being a spy". What exactly are you worried about? Your ISP can see your traffic anyway.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Id more be worried of the reliability and speed of an "unknown" brand than it somehow forwarding information to someone else, it cant go to someone without going through your ISP though 

If youre really worried use a vpn

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

24 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

is it safe to get unknown brands? 

(not talking about performance or stabability)

will there be hidden add ons sending to someone?

Unknown/cheap Chinaman-brands very much can be spying on you and they often contain backdoors and the likes so the people on the other end can use them to enter your network without permission. It's typically best to either buy from known brands or to replace the stock firmware with OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, DakotaWebber said:

Id more be worried of the reliability and speed of an "unknown" brand than it somehow forwarding information to someone else, it cant go to someone without going through your ISP though

Um, the data going through the ISP-network is irrelevant. I mean, that's how Internet works.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Um, the data going through the ISP-network is irrelevant. I mean, that's how Internet works.

I was making the point that theyre probably spying on your data anyway

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

4 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

I was making the point that theyre probably spying on your data anyway

So, you're saying that just because your ISP may be logging some data about you, it's fine to let the device send even more stuff to China or other unscrupulous entities? Besides which, a router has access to far more stuff than just the data that's going through an ISP's network; a router can access anything and everything on the LAN-side as well. The ISP can't.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you're saying that just because your ISP may be logging some data about you, it's fine to let the device send even more stuff to China or other unscrupulous entities?

minimizing the risk is all we can do

i got a "d-link" router from chinazi , and packing is of coz diff from international ones, was like $30 cheaper

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you're saying that just because your ISP may be logging some data about you, it's fine to let the device send even more stuff to China or other unscrupulous entities?

Nope :) How can you say I just said something without me saying it? I never said it was fine. In fact I encouraged the use of VPN as most will encrypt.

What I am saying is that you will be tracked no matter what you do technology wise, even more so if you have any uncertainty with what youre using like an "unknown" brand,

and that the most likely entity to be tracking you is your ISP, and then anything youre visiting anyway

Waiting for that PIA sponsor