Raid Set UP

Roman1998

Hey guys, quick question:

I want to have three HDD's in a raid config. But I don't know what to pick. I already have a WD Black drive. can I just buy 2 more of these and will I be fine or will I have to resort to buying Nas optimized drives because of the vibration? My case is the define S2. Thanks in advance!

Honestly I would just get a single, fast SSD instead of setting up an HDD raid array that is going to perform comparably or worse to a much more quiet and less power-hungry solid state drive.  

why do you want a raid config? What is your goal? How much storage do you need? What speed do you need?

Id probalby just get a single big drive, its normally better than raid for desktops.

What are your goals for the RAID config? 

Speed? You're better off spending some of that money on an SSD and optimise where you store files. 

Redundancy? Set one up as a backup first before you consider RAID.

Generally wouldn't recommend RAID outside of critical server applications. 

It isn't really that I have goals for the raid config. It's more because I can. 

but to get back to my question, Are in the Define S2 Nas optimized (like wd reds) better or can i get away with wd blacks?

21 hours ago, Roman1998 said:

but to get back to my question, Are in the Define S2 Nas optimized (like wd reds) better or can i get away with wd blacks?

Id stay awam from reds due to smr issues.

No reason to get blacks, there expensive and the nas featuers are nice to have for about the same price.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:52 AM, Roman1998 said:

It isn't really that I have goals for the raid config. It's more because I can. 

how much space do you want?