thinking of selling my computer

Kyuubixchidori

Im a hardware nut a much as the next guy, I love my glowing pc glory. but ever since i built my computer, i been using it less and less for hardcore thing. Triple A games look nice but are not very fun anymore, don't find myself playing games. Everything i do, I could just as easily on my laptop.

selling it would be a big chunk of a first car. But if i wait ill get a car in 8 month-ish from my parents. granted, it wont be enough for the whole car, but more then half. which is very convincing. but then ill be stuck with integrated graphics. but i hardly use more then that anyway. choices. 

any thoughts? inputs?

Im a hardware nut a much as the next guy, I love my glowing pc glory. but ever since i built my computer, i been using it less and less for hardcore thing. Triple A games look nice but are not very fun anymore, don't find myself playing games. Everything i do, I could just as easily on my laptop.

selling it would be a big chunk of a first car. But if i wait ill get a car in 8 month-ish from my parents. granted, it wont be enough for the whole car, but more then half. which is very convincing. but then ill be stuck with integrated graphics. but i hardly use more then that anyway. choices. 

any thoughts? inputs?

If you don't use it, sell it. No use having a beast of a computer and only word processing and chrome.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

What are your system specs? I'm the same way, My HTPC could do everything i do on this PC just fine. If you can sell it for a good price than i'd say go for it.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Having a similar problem. Sitting on a nice PC I am using for word processing at the moment. But because I have to finish my bachelor thesis soon not by choice ;P

I'd keep the computer. Or atleast the monitor, so you can rock 2+ screens when at home, which significantly increases productivity [my bachelor thesis] ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

What are your system specs? I'm the same way, My HTPC could do everything i do on this PC just fine. If you can sell it for a good price than i'd say go for it.

I5-3570K, 8 gigs of corsair 1600mhz, 1 tb of storage, hd7770 2 gb,  its not a beast, but on my 1600x900 monitor it plays bf4 max settings(noAA) at 40 fps contant. adn thats without mantle. so its a solid gaming machine with still being responsible. i set my friend who is a mac book pro user infront of it, all hes gamed on is his laptop(2000$) and consoles. put a nice pair of headphones on him, and a xbox controller, something hes used to. i asked for 750, hes pretty much sold for 700$

i have a I3 laptop. i would keep my current monitors and keyboard and such, and just hide the laptop away somewhere and use my existing setup

I'm in the exact same situation dude

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

I5-3570K, 8 gigs of corsair 1600mhz, 1 tb of storage, hd7770 2 gb,  its not a beast, but on my 1600x900 monitor it plays bf4 max settings(noAA) at 40 fps contant. adn thats without mantle. so its a solid gaming machine with still being responsible. i set my friend who is a mac book pro user infront of it, all hes gamed on is his laptop(2000$) and consoles. put a nice pair of headphones on him, and a xbox controller, something hes used to. i asked for 750, hes pretty much sold for 700$

Considering the lack of an SSD and the less-than-super-impressive graphics card (in comparison with other stuff nowadays), $700 is probably the most you're going to get out of it, and even that could be a little high.

I would say sell it if you don't have a need for it anymore. Unless you plan on getting back into the desktop gaming experience, having a large desktop can just be an inconvenience.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Considering the lack of an SSD and the less-than-super-impressive graphics card (in comparison with other stuff nowadays), $700 is probably the most you're going to get out of it, and even that could be a little high.

I would say sell it if you don't have a need for it anymore. Unless you plan on getting back into the desktop gaming experience, having a large desktop can just be an inconvenience.

yup, it was built a year ago as a very budget oriented system, with the I5 and mobo where already bought. 700$ is high, but the friend sees it less as a old pre-used system, and more of a custom built computer with the custom building premium and OS included in the price. that and its a good platform for a while if you ever want to throw in a new graphics card.

I've thought about doing this myself before because i don't use my gaming rig as much as i should, especially considering the amount of money ive put into it. But, i think you should keep it, and the reason why is because you'll more then likely end up kicking yourself for it later, what if you see some game you cant run on your laptop and you want to play it? It is smart to be thinking about doing things like getting your car but if you sell it then your like oh i want a powerful system again, it will cost you more to rebuild it then to keep it and just work and put money back for your car. Hope this helps you, or at least provides insight 

I've thought about doing this myself before because i don't use my gaming rig as much as i should, especially considering the amount of money ive put into it. But, i think you should keep it, and the reason why is because you'll more then likely end up kicking yourself for it later, what if you see some game you cant run on your laptop and you want to play it? It is smart to be thinking about doing things like getting your car but if you sell it then your like oh i want a powerful system again, it will cost you more to rebuild it then to keep it and just work and put money back for your car. Hope this helps you, or at least provides insight 

exactly. its nice having the option. the choice to be able to play the next big game. that and Im getting a slightly older DLSR. working with photos might be less then stellar on a I3 

As you said its not the highest end machine. You may get some money out of it, especially the ram because RAM`s really expensive atm. 

yup, it was built a year ago as a very budget oriented system, with the I5 and mobo where already bought. 700$ is high, but the friend sees it less as a old pre-used system, and more of a custom built computer with the custom building premium and OS included in the price. that and its a good platform for a while if you ever want to throw in a new graphics card.

700$ is really a lot for a system only with a 7770. No matter how you see it, it just is too much

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

As you said its not the highest end machine. You may get some money out of it, especially the ram because RAM`s really expensive atm. 

700$ is really a lot for a system only with a 7770. No matter how you see it, it just is too much

compare that to a prebuilt system. personally yeah, I would not spend that much. but I was offered 700$, need to remember he just wants something decent that plug and play, hes not interested in building or doing anything himself.

compare that to a prebuilt system. personally yeah, I would not spend that much. but I was offered 700$, need to remember he just wants something decent that plug and play, hes not interested in building or doing anything himself.

If its your friend, then i`d sell it cheaper, sometime later he might get into computers a bit more and hate you for selling it for such a high price^^

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Yeah, I don't use mine for alot of hardcore things these days alot, because school, enough said.

However that opportunity is there to be taken if and when I want to play a new cool game.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

If its your friend, then i`d sell it cheaper, sometime later he might get into computers a bit more and hate you for selling it for such a high price^^

I really do hope he gets more into computers. he has 2 grand invested in his laptop, 9 grand in camera equipment.  hes 15 and bought himself all this himself. lets just say his value of money is very different then mine. a extra 50 or 100 bucks is not a big deal to him, hes always looking out for ways to help his friends, I flat out told him the value of my computer and such, hes cool with it. 

yay friends with to much money. I see where your coming from and totally agree, but, gotta make money where you can! 

I really do hope he gets more into computers. he has 2 grand invested in his laptop, 9 grand in camera equipment. hes 15 and bought himself all this himself. lets just say his value of money is very different then mine. a extra 50 or 100 bucks is not a big deal to him, hes always looking out for ways to help his friends, I flat out told him the value of my computer and such, hes cool with it.

yay friends with to much money. I see where your coming from and totally agree, but, gotta make money where you can!

15 and 11k does he sell drugs or something?

I wouldn't sell unless you have no choice you may need it in the future

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I really do hope he gets more into computers. he has 2 grand invested in his laptop, 9 grand in camera equipment.  hes 15 and bought himself all this himself. lets just say his value of money is very different then mine. a extra 50 or 100 bucks is not a big deal to him, hes always looking out for ways to help his friends, I flat out told him the value of my computer and such, hes cool with it. 

Does your friend have a problem sending me some 780ti`s? :-)

15 and 11k does he sell drugs or something? I wouldn't sell unless you have no choice you may need it in the future

. youll be amazed how much people pay for senior pictures. 4K in one month. needless to say Im very interested in getting on on photography. he does some local commercial work/senior pictures/ some company work? its crazy